PDA

View Full Version : Shriver on Justine Henin!

federerhoogenbandfan
05-29-2006, 04:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/columns/story?columnist=shriver_pam&id=2457561

wildbill88AA
05-29-2006, 10:04 PM
i like this comment "she's been the best fighter the last three years in women's tennis". pretty good considering jhh missed nearly all of 2004.

RiosTheGenius
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
she's the most complete player out there right now

Max G.
05-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Hehe. It seems like she's desperately trying to reconcile Justine's pathetic retirement in the Australian Open final with some of the brilliantly tough moments that she's fought through. And not doing very well, either ;)

baseliner
05-30-2006, 05:14 AM
Let's see if I understand you Pam. Justine thinks of herself and only herself above any duty to the game, her opponent, sportsmanship or the fans. You call that brave? Wouldn't selfish or blinded by ambition be a more accurate definition? Don't tire me with excuses for her pull out. Others may respect her. To me she will always be "The Hand".

Donnie Darko
05-30-2006, 05:36 AM
i like this comment "she's been the best fighter the last three years in women's tennis". pretty good considering jhh missed nearly all of 2004.

And considering that she retired from a GS final because her stomach was upset. Fighters don't quit because of a tummy ache.

Rickson
05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
And considering that she retired from a GS final because her stomach was upset. Fighters don't quit because of a tummy ache.
She didn't want to be embarrassed.

Max G.
05-30-2006, 07:00 AM

And people that aren't fighters would never be able to do the kind of things that Justine's done - the comeback from match-point down at the French last year, the match against Capriati at the US Open a while back.

So is she sometimes a fighter and sometimes not? ;) ...apparently so, and that's seems to be confusing for some people ;)

Donnie Darko
05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
She didn't want to be embarrassed.

Fighters don't quit because they are getting embarrassed on the court. They play through it, take their lumps and come back another day.

If you were a fighter, you'd already know this.

Donnie Darko
05-30-2006, 07:03 AM
And people that aren't fighters would never be able to do the kind of things that Justine's done - the comeback from match-point down at the French last year, the match against Capriati at the US Open a while back.

So is she sometimes a fighter and sometimes not? ;) ...apparently so, and that's seems to be confusing for some people ;)

You obviously missed the point of this discussion. The quote that is being discussed is:

"she's been the best fighter the last three years in women's tennis"

How could JHH be considered the best fighter of the last three years when she barely even played in 2004 and she quit in the finals of a GS this year? How does that make someone a fighter, let alone the "best fighter of the last three years"?

By your own admission, sometimes she fights and sometimes she doesn't. So that doesn't exactly match up with the quote that is being discussed in this thread, does it?

fastdunn
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, IMO, Pam tried her best to be nice.

What bothers me about Henin is her pattern of behaviors over the years
not just Austrian Open, at the French with Serena, players continuously
complaining she is faking injuries, the Austrain Open this year. I'm pretty
sure something similar will come up soon..

When I first heard many players including her country-woman Cljister
criticising her behaviours, I did not have any clue on what Clijister
was taling about a few years ago. I thought Clijister was a nut.
I mean Henin looked naive to me and actually Clijister looked
like an unsportsman-like bad girl, a few years ago.
It turns out what she said was very true. I now believes everything
Cljister told about Henin a few years ago.

Henin is a fabulous ball striker but it's really bad her reputation tarnishes
her accomplishment.

scoot
05-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Pam shriver sounds like a blithering idiot in that column. get over it! justine did what she thought was the right thing to do at the time. how dare her question how she was feeling physically. nobody but justine herself knows how much pain she was playing through.

even if she did throw in the towel despite only minimal pain (which i highly doubt), give her a break. yes people (even athletes) do make mistakes. now if this becomes a pattern thats another story.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
It looks like Pam has softened on Justine a bit, but not too much.

shawn1122
05-30-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't see how everyone is so sure that Justine Henin-Hardenne could have continued playing in the final at AO...do you all know her personally or something?

superman1
05-30-2006, 04:13 PM
She wasn't throwing up, was she? She hadn't pulled anything or torn anything or broken anything. She just had a bad stomach. We've all had stomach aches, I don't see why her's would be any worse, especially because she wasn't coughing or vomiting and she looked perfectly healthy in the press conference, she wasn't even holding her stomach. Her focus wasn't 100% and she just figured she had no chance of winning the match, so decided to feign injury and go home early. It's simple, really. But she's still the most complete women's player.

Othello
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
There goes Shriver again. I don't get the point of the article. "I've lost respect for her but she's a great fighter"
OK Pam, thanks for the info :rolleyes: .

Allez Justine! The French is yours. None of the girls can touch your game on clay. Believe in yourself and be the only woman this year to defend her title!

FEDEXP
05-30-2006, 07:08 PM
What a stupid rehash, let's just see how she plays at Roland Garros.

Alexandros
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I dispute the people who say that she is the most complete player on tour - I'd suggest that Mauresmo has better volleys and superior approach shots. She can actually serve and volley on grass and win - something Henin-Hardenne has not shown.

allez
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
I dispute the people who say that she is the most complete player on tour - I'd suggest that Mauresmo has better volleys and superior approach shots. She can actually serve and volley on grass and win - something Henin-Hardenne has not shown.

Don't forget JH went to the Wimby final and lost to Venus W. at her prime. How far did MMo get in Wimby? The most important element MMo lacks in nerve. At the very top level, it's 30% technique and 70% nerve.

breakfast_of_champions
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
didnt jhh just destroy mmo? 6-1, 6-2?

OrangeOne
05-31-2006, 09:09 PM
She wasn't throwing up, was she?

No, but have you never pushed yourself until the point where you know that if you push further you will? Hopefully for your sake you have, it's great testing the body that far, against itself or illness. I'm betting dollars to grains of sand that a few 100 million people weren't watching you at the time.

We've all had stomach aches, I don't see why her's would be any worse, especially because she wasn't coughing or vomiting and she looked perfectly healthy in the press conference,

And not that many of us are elite athletes. Sure, some of us may call ourselves athletes, but to be truly elite is a very precarious place to be. The body of an elite athlete is a very sensitive thing, trained to the point of very little resistance to anything other than the sport they're playing! Bugs can be caught in an instant, hit so much harder. How many of us walk past 1000's of people on the way to the courts? How many have to eat different foods all the time?

and she looked perfectly healthy in the press conference, she wasn't even holding her stomach.

She wasn't even holding her stomach? She would have needed to be holding it...because it was about to fall out? ;) I can't believe that you would believe her more "if she was holding her stomach". I mean - there was a GS trophy and a half-a-million bucks at stake, and for you the not-holding-the-stomach is the clincher?

she just figured she had no chance of winning the match, so decided to feign injury and go home early. It's simple, really.

It's simple....I agree - if are you talking about your simplistic assessment of what happened!

Have you known many elite athletes? People who give their lives to a sport? Make every sacrifice to play the game? I have - not in tennis - but in other sports. There are 4 chances a year to win a GS final, and even most professional players never even get close. There's no way I'll believe that someone of her stature just throws a match. Everyone knows the best thing about tennis (and other non-timed sports) is that you're *always* in with a chance - the double-fault or the ripping winner on match point down that sets off the collapse that lets you back in the match.