PDA

View Full Version : twist serve problem

AznGameFreak2000
05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
i have this problem with my twist serve, it does twist, but only like 1-2 feet and then it goes back to the left (i am hitting right handed). i know its supposed to curve left and bounce right, which mine does.... weakly, but then after the bounce, when its in midair, it curves back to the left.... so basically if i just did my kick serve, the ball would be in the same spot in the air as my twist serve when the opponent returns it, with just a different path. can anyone help me identify what could cause the hopping back to the left?

travlerajm
05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
You just need more racquet head speed. With really good twist serves, it starts to come back to the left just as it's crossing the baseline (where your opponent would likely be standing). If your serve is slower, then it will curve back at an earlier spot relative to your opponent.

boluclac
05-29-2006, 10:06 PM
for me it wont change to the right at all...well itll go left then go stright infront of me ant no further i dont know what im doin wrong

AznGameFreak2000
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
oh that just means that u either didnt put enough spin or power into it, so it may have the correct diagonal spin, but either really slow, or weak, so it does curve in the air, but since the spin/power is low, it wont twist all the way, itll just turn into a kick on the bounce

AznGameFreak2000
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
what is better for the twist serve, a heavy/light racquet, and is a head/handle heavier better? cuz i cant really use heavy racquets, like anything over 10oz i cant use for ****.... i get really tired after a set.... and that puts me at a disadvantage

boluclac
05-29-2006, 10:13 PM
ooo ok thanks

tennisboi206
05-29-2006, 11:55 PM
i think that serving with a head light racket best. ive heard this from sumwhere before.

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 11:59 PM
i have this problem with my twist serve, it does twist, but only like 1-2 feet and then it goes back to the left (i am hitting right handed). i know its supposed to curve left and bounce right, which mine does.... weakly, but then after the bounce, when its in midair, it curves back to the left.... so basically if i just did my kick serve, the ball would be in the same spot in the air as my twist serve when the opponent returns it, with just a different path. can anyone help me identify what could cause the hopping back to the left?

You also might want to work on that swing path and when/where you strike the ball. I used to practice my twist serves very slowly in a loopy exaggerated motion from the back fence. I made sure I followed through on the same side of the body.

andreh
05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Are you tossing to the left of your head? Tossing to far to the right tends to impart slice rather than twist.

AznGameFreak2000
05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
i think the problem could be that the racuqets i use are really light, both head and overall. i usually go 8-10 ounces only, so that might affect the force impacted on the ball?? or does that not matter

siber222000
05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
this is out of topic but u use eastern backhand grip for the twist serve? thanks

Tennismastery
05-31-2006, 05:13 PM

You are bringing your elbow in too early which is often a result of opening up your shoulder plane too early. If this happens, you can still hit a ball that start to go to the right but still has slice spin. (Which is the only way it can curve back to the left.) Because you are swinging to the right, the ball will have a trajectory that is to the right, but if you bring the elbow forward too early, the swing patch can't make the string bed brush up to the right. (Think of brushing up the inside part of the ball from left to right. As you will see, if the elbow leads too early, you can only attack the right side of the ball.)

As someone else mentioned, toss a little more over your head to emphasize your ability to brush up this inside portion of the ball. A toss too far to the right will only allow you to brush the outside portion of the ball at best. You don't have to toss way behind you as some people think. The toss among the pros is fairly consistent between most serves. The thing that changes is the player's position under the ball. For a kick serve, players stay sideways longer and lean in slightly under the ball. For a first serve or a hard slice/hybrid, the player will not usually lean in under the ball as much; instead you will see them lean in towards the net over their toss shoulder.

Hope this helps.

Bungalo Bill
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
(Think of brushing up the inside part of the ball from left to right. As you will see, if the elbow leads too early, you can only attack the right side of the ball.)

Is this awesome instruction or what? I took a back seat on this and got some schooling on this serve.

Really glad that TennisMastery is taking the time to help all of us learn.

AznGameFreak2000
06-03-2006, 06:21 PM
for a better twist on the bounce, should i be using mainly my shoulder power or forearm with elbow/wrist ?

ta11geese3
06-03-2006, 11:00 PM
what is better for the twist serve, a heavy/light racquet, and is a head/handle heavier better? cuz i cant really use heavy racquets, like anything over 10oz i cant use for ****.... i get really tired after a set.... and that puts me at a disadvantage

10oz? Are you not using the rest of your body or something when you hit?

AznGameFreak2000
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
well i do, but its not that, im just pretty much really skinny. its not like i cant hit hard or have good control, i mean im singles 1 varsity for my school, and i hit the hardest and have the best control obviously, but i cant last through game against another school with 11oz+ racquets. its like a stamina thing

Andres
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
well i do, but its not that, im just pretty much really skinny. its not like i cant hit hard or have good control, i mean im singles 1 varsity for my school, and i hit the hardest and have the best control obviously, but i cant last through game against another school with 11oz+ racquets. its like a stamina thing
Obviously.

AznGameFreak2000
06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
yeah, obviously. so anyway, back to the problem at hand here, for a better twist (goes farther out) after the serve bounces, should i mainly just use my shoulder?