PDA

View Full Version : Vilas on Nadal breaking record

dscw
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
i dunt know if this has been post before but:

"Guillermo Vilas says he is not impressed by Rafael Nadal's winning streak on clay even though the Spaniard broke the Argentine's record when he outpowered Swede Robin Soderling 6-2 7-5 6-1 in round one.

The 19-year-old Nadal has been undefeated on the slow surface in his last 54 matches and surpassed Vila's previous record of 53 set in 1977.

"First of all, Nadal's performance is spanning over two years, which is not the same," said Vilas, who set the record in 1977.

"Then, I have the feeling he added easy tournaments on his schedule just for that purpose," the 53-year-old added.

"They never gave me any trophy at the time," said Vilas after he handed Nadal a trophy on the centre court of Roland Garros for the occasion.

The Argentine reminded that he still was detaining two other records Nadal "would never beat."

"I also have won 46 matches in succession on any surface and I have won 14 tournaments in the same years," he said.

Vilas, who confessed he had to call the ATP to have confirmation of a record he had ignored, had his 1977 run ended in the Aix-en-Provence tournament semi-finals by Ilie Nastase.

"I did not lose to a player but against a racquet," he said, referring to the double-strung weapon the Romanian was using at the time.

"I could not play him. When I was 6-1 7-5 down, I threw in the sponge," said Vilas, who had won the Tehran, Bogota, Santiago and Buenos Aires tournaments that year."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Clijsters-up-and-down-at-French-Open/2006/05/30/1148754979514.html

Andres
05-29-2006, 09:21 PM
"I also have won 46 matches in succession on any surface and I have won 14 tournaments in the same years," he said.
It's actually 16, or 17. Some places says they were 16 in 1977, and some other places says it were 17 ;)

jackson vile
05-29-2006, 09:33 PM
What an @$$hole, welcome to tennis it is full of them:mad:

subtleskeptics
05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Gee someone is bitter.

superman1
05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, he's not showing much modesty or class. It's not like anyone is saying that Nadal is the better claycourt player. He's still young, but if he continues this then he will be.

malakas
05-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Yes,he is bitter.But,what he said about that raquet is true.. As I found out today,that damn spaghetti-stringing totally changed the way the ball bounced.Also,in another thread someone mentioned that it was before the match with Ilie Nastace that the raquet was banned but Ilie could still use it.(Can't find that tread now.:mad: ).Ofcourse,I believe he should accept Nadal's new record but ITF also bears responsibillity.

Here is the link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101912&page=2

Defcon
05-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Call it what you will, his complaints are valid. People are making a big deal out of Nadal's streak and the trophy was a bit much. Federer broke the hard court match streak and didn't get anything and I'm sure other players have broken records before. Nadal gets this one on a technicality.

Buuurnz
05-30-2006, 02:58 AM
hahahaha Vilas is acting like a bozo tryingh to talk Nadal down!I aint no Nadal fan but man I expected much more class Mr Vilas

Buuurnz
05-30-2006, 02:59 AM
hahahaha Vilas is acting like a bozo tryingh to talk Nadal down!I aint no Nadal fan but man I expected much more class Mr Vilas

croatian sensation
05-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, he's not showing much modesty or class. It's not like anyone is saying that Nadal is the better claycourt player. He's still young, but if he continues this then he will be.

Agreed.

Jeez...you'd think Nadal personally ended his winning streak.

I didn't follow tennis then LOL since I wasn't even born, so I believe he is right...but as a grown-up and a mature person he should know that stating all this now will make him sound envious and bitter.
Sorry, Guillermo..tough luck.

And it's not Nadal's "fault" he got the trophy..what should he have done..refuse to take it?

croatian sensation
05-30-2006, 03:01 AM
double post

artworks
05-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Tsk..tsk..tsk..tsk.. this is sad day for Vilas his long time record was broken as well as his reputation with his reaction.

Duzza
05-30-2006, 03:13 AM
when he says he was playing against a racquet...double strung something? what does that mean?

brucie
05-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Gee someone is bitter.

Yeah he didnt look happy at the match in the crowd!

someone needs to tell him records are their to be broken.

Easy matches nadal knows if fed plays clay events he will meet him which i wouldnt consider easy!

unjugon
05-30-2006, 04:01 AM
IMO Vilas lost all credibility here:
"Then, I have the feeling he added easy tournaments on his schedule just for that purpose," the 53-year-old added."

Ok, letīs see, Nadal sure as hell wasnīt thinking about breaking the record last summer when he had maybe 25 wins straight on clay, and played a couple "easy" tournaments like Bastad and *gasp* Sttutgart.

Now comes 2006 and Nadal plays these clay tournaments: Monte Carlo, Conde de Godó, and Rome. Thatīs right, Mr. "bitter" Vilas, not Viņa del Mar, not Costa du Sauipe, not Buenos Aires, not Acapulco, not Valencia.

panic
05-30-2006, 04:03 AM
http://www.blackburneds.com/

wyutani
05-30-2006, 04:05 AM
hey, not fair, vilas didnt get any trophy mate'...

Captain America
05-30-2006, 06:40 AM
You'd think Vilas would be happy that he's getting the attention and respect for holding this record over the years. To dis Nadal like that - and show up at the FO to do it IN PERSON - is tactless.

Perhaps Nastase is making up for the racquet controversy by giving Vilas free P.R. advice....

Max G.
05-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Hehe... sounds like sour grapes from Vilas ;)

On the other hand, it IS understandable why he would be bitter - after all, his streak DID get broken by equipment that was made illegal immediately after, so it's understandable why he feels cheated out of a longer streak.

Ah well, doesn't really matter what he thinks - Nadal is the best claycourter in the world right now, and in ten years how he compares to guys like Vilas in the long run is going to be determined by how many majors he wins and probably not by his win streak anyway.

ACE of Hearts
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Sour grapes from Mr Vilas, i am sure that Rafa is saying, i beated everyone in sight, no?:mrgreen:

jhhachamp
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree Vilas loss that ended his streak should not have counted, but his streak was during a period in which he was not even the best player on clay, which IMO makes Nadal's current steak more impressive anyway. Vilas is lucky Borg didn't enter some of those smaller tourneys that Vilas won along the way to setting his streak. Nadal has beaten Federer 3 times now during his streak. Also, his attitude about the whole thing makes me think that he is pretty much an ahole.

diegaa
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
You'd think Vilas would be happy that he's getting the attention and respect for holding this record over the years. To dis Nadal like that - and show up at the FO to do it IN PERSON - is tactless.

Perhaps Nastase is making up for the racquet controversy by giving Vilas free P.R. advice....

Well, he goes every year to the FO, so thats not the main issue... And of course, he did speak a little more that is advisable

Viper
05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with him on some points though.

yonex90
05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
What racquet is he talking about?

He looked like a bad a** to me. I love to hear these players talk a little. Otherwise we would fall asleep.:cool:

Roger is Boring
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
hahahaha vilas sounds bitter and he needs a haircut..