PDA

View Full Version : how to self-destruct your opponents?

wyutani
05-29-2006, 08:38 PM
how to self-destruct your opponents mentally or psychologically? im learning this new technique to better my oppoent. thanks.:mrgreen:

siber222000
05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
3.0 doesn't know how to do this? hm my suggestion is pressure him (net play works good), from 0 - 40 try to win that game (then ur opponent gets REALLY ****ed since u won from 0 - 40), find his / her weakness (for example if ur opponent is bad at backhand, aim for the backhand), ill say winning game from 0 - 40 works best...
oh yeah one more thing, every time u win, give some kind of fist pump or something ;)

Andres
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
You can't SELF destroy your opponents. You can destroy them, or they self destruct themselves.

And sadly, there isn't a way to learn this. It's not a technique, like learning to hit a forehand. It's inside you. You can't learn it, it's inherent to everyone ;)

TennisAsAlways
05-29-2006, 08:47 PM
People could (and they're probably going to) come up with a whole LONG list of things.

Here are a few things:

• Taking the aggressive initiative

• Being consistent

• Trickery

• Controlling the point

• Disheartening them with big winners (e.g. smashing them, one two punch serve & FH winners and serve & volley winners etc.)

• Knowing the balance of when to play more loose and when to step it up a notch, catching them when they least expect it

siber222000
05-29-2006, 08:48 PM
You can't SELF destroy your opponents. You can destroy them, or they self destruct themselves.

And sadly, there isn't a way to learn this. It's not a technique, like learning to hit a forehand. It's inside you. You can't learn it, it's inherent to everyone ;)
we got a winner

grizzly4life
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
EDIT: sorry i meant to start a new thread, which i will

a guy told me last year to hit stingers into the corners to do well in my B level 4.0 tournament...

unfortunately i don't have access to him this year.

but i was wondering about the strategy and spin..

do people know the expression "stinger"?.... i think it was to basically poke a flat shot into the corner (preferably backhand corner) and come in behind it (or at least get a nice soft, short return to set up a winner)......

my basic question is this: is flat often better than topspin in that it has more disguise?.... if i'm going to hit a big topspin shot into the corner, isn't it going to be obvious where i'm hitting the ball with my big windup...... also, flat can in theory get to the spot faster than topspin, although you probably hit topspin harder.

thanks in advance for any insight into this??

TennisAsAlways
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
You may not be able to "self-destruct" your opponent (you cannot "control" them, since they are an independant body) but you can "manipulate" them, and cause them to lose their morale, and that may perhaps cause them to "self-destruct" — as what you are inquiring about (using the phrase "self-dstruct" as a verb, which is not so wrong, since this isn't a formal essay paper).

Good day. 8)

Freedom
05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
How to make your opponent self-destruct?

Hand them a bomb, and offer them 500 dollars to set it off. :mrgreen:

TennisAsAlways
05-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Hopefully it's only counterfeit money.

malakas
05-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Visit the trashtalking thread.;) I quess you will find many ..ideas there!:mrgreen:

TennisAsAlways
05-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I see .... "psychological warfare" huh? LOL

artworks
05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
how to self-destruct your opponents mentally or psychologically? im learning this new technique to better my oppoent. thanks.:mrgreen:

Please re-phrase your statement. Tell us what you really want?

nViATi
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Foot speed and consistency. Just look at Hewitt and Nadal. Also, make the opponent run from side to side. Check out Agassi.

Freedom
05-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Hopefully it's only counterfeit money.

Doesn't matter if they blow up before the transaction. ;)

snoflewis
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
best way is to **** them off.

- switch up the pace - don't only hit topspin but try to mix in some slices and backspin shots to throw off their rhythm

- mix deep/short shots - rather than hitting all deep shots or all short shots...make your opponent run back and forth on strong shots.

- side to side - if you can, try to place your shots left and right to make your opponent run. the best shots would be a deep crosscourt forehand to one side, and a short, angled shot to the other side.

- drop shot, lob (my all time favorite) - during long rallies, bring your opponent up w/ a dropshot (you need to have good touch our it will just set up your opponent's winner) and once they are at the net, lob it deep. if it doesnet work the first time...do it again. :)

- talk - if you have already established yourself as a complete jerk or have already established an ego, talk a little bit of trash. you can also yell out (come on! vamos! allez! etc) to **** them off a little as well.

equinox
05-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I can confirm mixing pace works well.
My team destroyed this young team of talented 16-20yrs olds on saturday.
I couldn't serve properly because of a blister and was slowly rolling my serves in with slight kick, everynow and then i'd blast one. They couldn't hit'em at all. they had to generate all the pace and missed timed lots of shots.

Heh rackets went flying everywhere. Even had to duck balls hit in anger.

Woodstock_Tennis
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Only thing that gets to me is someones jump on the ball or foot speed. Nothing can get to me more then hitting what would be winners against a normal player and have someone putting a racquet on it. Only played one person that got to me like this, but it cause me to crash hard (6-2, 4-6, 2-6)...

AngeloDS
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Deep moonball + consistency + patience = winning against most players. Slow balls + consistency + patience = winning against most players as well.

That's how a good friend of mine won a lot of her matches growing up and even today. She dominated the adult league at the age of 10 at a club simply moonballing because she lacked the height and strength for any other shot.

Sadly, I make self-destructing players self-destruct themselves :p. They rely on consistency, change of pace and other things that really test peoples patience and nerves. Just calm down and take full strokes, and come into the net when you get the chance. I always come in looking for the overhead :).

To hit slow tennis balls your technique needs to be nearly perfect and have no flaws. If there's a problem in your technique then your ball will sail long, wide or into the net on those.

kevhen
05-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Keep the ball in play, mix up your spins, get as many balls back as possible and watch your opponent self-destruct. Younger guys are more vulnerable to this as they like pace and they like hitting winners so if you remove the pace and get enough balls back where they are making more errors than winners they will often lose it mentally.

ramseszerg
05-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Let me just add, pay attention to hints your opponents gives you. For instance, lets say you are playing someone who hits angles consistently and seldom makes errors. You're losing, and all of a sudden you hit a slice serve wide on the deuce court and he/she hits it into the net. Then you should let your opponent have to hit that shot again to test him/her.

looseswing
06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Yell vamos if you're not spanish speaking. It really ****es them of.

BeachTennis
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
How about the old!

If the player is serving real well be sure to tell them how well they are serving on the change over!

:mrgreen:

nalbandian_fan
06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
If your playing a lower level player, who youre just trying to finish off faster; serve and volley, whether or not your a serve-and-volleyer- just rush the net after the serve and a lotta players will panic and miss the next shot and you won't even have to hit a volley. But if your opponent doesn't panic and calmly hits a passing shot- I would reccomend not trying that again.

cghipp
06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Be a pusher.

Owfred
06-14-2006, 06:55 PM
After every point you win, fall down on the floor like Nadal when he won the french open.

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Foot speed and consistency. Just look at Hewitt and Nadal. Also, make the opponent run from side to side. Check out Agassi.

Mmm - yup!. Given this thread has evolved more into a "how can you frustrate your opponent / how can you unsettle your opponent" - my thoughts would be

1. As nViATi said above - get *everything* back. If you think you can't work much more on your tennis but your fitness can use some work - put the hard yards in and you'll be rewarded in your "nothing gets past me" attitude.

2. Come out serving agressive. Serve at 110% in the hit-up and first few games (of course, assuming you're warm before the hit-up, which you should be), try and at least get a bit of aura about your serve

3. Come out focussed. I think so much of the ability to score mental points happens early - before they've worked you out. If you don't miss in the first few games, they're going to think you never miss - up goes the pressure again. There's many strategies for this - and I'm not suggesting pushing - but maybe take a step back from where you'd normally return to work out & guarantee you retrun their serve, etc etc.

4. 'Be the man (person)!' - I'm not suggesting "cheer / yell / scream / etc" - but at least walk the walk! Dress for the match, have your gear in order, be sorted, walk like you own the place, be the one out on court first, be the one ready to play, be the one that does't care about the toss decision etc etc - make tennis the sole focus of your time on the court.

treo
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Your opponent is very good, in a groove and is way ahead in the first set. Time for psychological warfare. Over compliment everything he does. Give praise to his technique. If he's in the zone this might take him out of it. He starts asking himself "Is this guy trying to mess with my mind?" This alone can break his focus. If you lose the first set, be real chatty on the changeover and ask personal questions about his tennis experience, marital status, kids and job. Try to hook him into the conversation so it lasts several minutes. Are you just being friendly or trying to break momentum? Both!

serveitup911
06-14-2006, 07:35 PM
DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING THINGS. THEY WILL DRIVE ANYONE CRAZY.

-Bounce the ball about 10 times before serving
-Catch a couple of your tosses before each serve
-Always ask for all 3 balls when serving
-Always give all 3 balls when receiving
-Get ready to receive, then walk a circle
-Make your opponent walk to get the balls
-Grunt loud and long after you hit your shot
-Say "Oh nice try, but just out" when your opponent misses big
-Yell "YES!" after every point you win
-Say "double fault" when your opponent double faults
-Say break, game, set, or match point whenever the situation arises
-Ask your opponent random questions on changeovers

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I can't believe no-one's mentioned this one yet (or I think they haven't)...

Step in (hugely) to return a serve

Surely we've all done it or seen it done? You've got someone down 15-40, and you take two BIG steps inside the baseline while waiting for the return. Suddenly the server has to think, the number of times I've used this to upset someone's thought process (or vice-versa) is incredible. It suddenly makes the person THINK about the serve....

(Of course, the modified and slightly chicken version of the above can be to slide back a step while they're looking at the tossed-ball too, minimising the risk while still getting the pyschological impact!)

Viper
06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Stalling is a good one. Look what Nadal did to Federer, just take as much time ast you can between points to ruin their rythem.

Slazenger
06-14-2006, 11:05 PM
DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING THINGS. THEY WILL DRIVE ANYONE CRAZY.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I played a guy yesterday and the sun was in my eyes when serving and he saw I was having trouble with that. So he started hitting high lobs so I would have to look into the sun. I netted a ball the first point he did that.
He immediately said afterwards "I know it's a sneaky tactic, sorry". I was like WTF?????

The next point he proceeded to do the same thing. I waited for the ball to drop and ripped an inside out winner.
He didn't do it again lol.

Tennismastery
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Mention something like, "Gee, Steve, your forehand is awesome today. How in the heck are you hitting it so well?"

They usually will start thinking about that shot and then they are dead.

pushing_wins
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
if the shot is going way long, make a squash swing near the ball as if u are going to hit it

drop shot /lob

continental grip winners and grunt really really loud

dont bounce the ball before u serve

dont even attempt to run down his shot, walk away as if it was a fluke

LuckyR
06-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Gamesmanship works well against beginners and those with a very weak Mental Game, or to put it another way, would all those "tricks" work against you?

papa
06-16-2006, 04:15 AM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I played a guy yesterday and the sun was in my eyes when serving and he saw I was having trouble with that. So he started hitting high lobs so I would have to look into the sun. I netted a ball the first point he did that.
He immediately said afterwards "I know it's a sneaky tactic, sorry". I was like WTF?????

The next point he proceeded to do the same thing. I waited for the ball to drop and ripped an inside out winner.
He didn't do it again lol.

Anytime an opponent makes a big deal (even a small deal) of something, you go after that weakness - doesn't matter what sport your playing. Sun bothers you, so be it, just don't broadcast it to the world - if you do, you'll pay the price.

Sun bothers someone, go after that - one shot doesn't/shouldn't change your mind because after all, you have to change sides every other game.

GuyClinch
06-16-2006, 04:43 AM
When do you guys use this stuff? Against regular opponents or in HS match play, league play or what? Cause it sounds more annoying then anything..

Tennis is a "gentleman's game" and if you do things like this in just a club practice match it would be pretty awful, IMHO. Wouldn't you rather win by just outplaying your opponent rather then resorting to trying phony compliments and the like.

I have no problem using "cheap" shot combos and the like but I don't think there really is a place for trash talking and such in tennis at least not on the amateur level.

This kind of stuff would be annoying.. I suppose that's the point but if you win by annoying the heck out of someone it wouldnt be as satisfying as outplaying him. Personally I am so glad I don't play with the guy who wrote this.

Pete

OrangeOne
06-16-2006, 04:57 AM
When do you guys use this stuff? Against regular opponents or in HS match play, league play or what? Cause it sounds more annoying then anything..

Agreed, and certainly at a club level, many of these ideas would get you 'frowned upon' or worse. I mean some of the initial discussion in this thread interested me, now it's deteriorating into things that would get you practically thrown out of a club...

Tennis is a "gentleman's game" and if you do things like this in just a club practice match it would be pretty awful, IMHO.

But here I disagree, not with the point you're trying to make, but the way you're making it....with tennis being a 'gentleman's game'.

Call it PC, call it what you will, but the days of calling something that involves both sexes 'gentleman's' and then hoping to construct a point around it that will be otherwise valid are long gone. Refer to sportsmanship, for sure. Gentleman's... I don't think so.

freelans
06-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Tennis is a "gentleman's game" and if you do things like this in just a club practice match it would be pretty awful, IMHO. Wouldn't you rather win by just outplaying your opponent rather then resorting to trying phony compliments and the like.

I have no problem using "cheap" shot combos and the like but I don't think there really is a place for trash talking and such in tennis at least not on the amateur level.

This kind of stuff would be annoying.. I suppose that's the point but if you win by annoying the heck out of someone it wouldnt be as satisfying as outplaying him. Personally I am so glad I don't play with the guy who wrote this.

Pete

Gee your post is kind of, you know, annoying too. :mrgreen:

VolklVenom
06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
3.0 doesn't know how to do this? hm my suggestion is pressure him (net play works good), from 0 - 40 try to win that game (then ur opponent gets REALLY ****ed since u won from 0 - 40), find his / her weakness (for example if ur opponent is bad at backhand, aim for the backhand), ill say winning game from 0 - 40 works best...
oh yeah one more thing, every time u win, give some kind of fist pump or something ;)

Lets not resort to leyton tactics.
Enough!

GuyClinch
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Call it PC, call it what you will, but the days of calling something that involves both sexes 'gentleman's' and then hoping to construct a point around it that will be otherwise valid are long gone. Refer to sportsmanship, for sure. Gentleman's... I don't think so.

Funny that you complain about "gentleman" and then offer "sportsmanship" as a replacement. :P I think you get my point though. Tennis is a game unlike alot of others that's built around the idea that your opponent calls the lines. In basketball you can see if the ball goes in the hoop or not, in games line bowling or pool or even ping pong same kind of thing..

I am not a golfer but I think it's also a "sportsmanship" kind of game. You keep your own score right? Could be wrong about that...

Accordingly, few people would want to play against a bad sport in a game like tennis. A guy who tries to use annoying tatics is already on the slippery slope to calling everything out. Even if they don't do that - people will think they do.

Once you get involved with the kind of person who wants to do everything possible to win at all costs (even fair play) your in for a very bad time in tennis. The game wasn't designed to accommodate such a player.

If your so good that you have line judges and stuff at your match - this isn't a problem. But most people don't have that kind of thing. Anyway personally I find it more rewarding to win playing fair so I wouldn't bother with gamesmanship. Happily I find most people that I play don't either.

Pete

equinox
06-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Bounce the ball about 10 times before serving <- I can today confirm this tactic works. :D

Slazenger
06-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Anytime an opponent makes a big deal (even a small deal) of something, you go after that weakness - doesn't matter what sport your playing. Sun bothers you, so be it, just don't broadcast it to the world - if you do, you'll pay the price.

Sun bothers someone, go after that - one shot doesn't/shouldn't change your mind because after all, you have to change sides every other game.

Yes, go after the weakness by all means. But don't say 'sorry I know it's a sneaky tactic" after you've gone after someone's weakness and won a point.
What kind of BS is that?

In any case, I'm happy I won the match. Won't have to play that fellow in a long while.

papa
06-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Yes, go after the weakness by all means. But don't say 'sorry I know it's a sneaky tactic" after you've gone after someone's weakness and won a point.
What kind of BS is that?

In any case, I'm happy I won the match. Won't have to play that fellow in a long while.

Yeah, I agree - generally save my "sorries" for balls that hit the net cord and bounce over.