PDA

View Full Version : stinger shots??

grizzly4life
05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
a guy told me last year to hit stingers into the corners to do well in my B level 4.0 tournament...

unfortunately i don't have access to him this year.

but i was wondering about the strategy and spin..

do people know the expression "stinger"?.... i think it was to basically poke a flat shot into the corner (preferably backhand corner) and come in behind it (or at least get a nice soft, short return to set up a winner)......

my basic question is this: is flat often better than topspin in that it has more disguise?.... if i'm going to hit a big topspin shot into the corner, isn't it going to be obvious where i'm hitting the ball with my big windup...... also, flat can in theory get to the spot faster than topspin, although you probably hit topspin harder.

thanks in advance for any insight into this??

c_zimma
06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
If you can hit flat shots into the corner on a regular basis, I would say go for it. But if you don't feel comfortable with that, topspin can get the job done. Even if they see it coming, the point can be won with correct placement.

DRtenniS1112
06-02-2006, 07:31 PM
The only reason some shy away from topspin here is because it sets up high enough to make it easier to hit a passing shot. The flat shot or even a slice is great for the "stinger" or as most call it, approach.