PDA

View Full Version : pros w/ open stanced bh

mr_spaz104
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
there is a lot of debates b/w which is the best (closed, semi-open, open) bh

however, in recent articles, they are saying that more and more ppl are using an open-stanced two-handed backhand to compensate for a little bit of the reach issue. i used to hit with a one-hander, but switched to a two-hander, because it was easier to maintain in a rally (i went from an aggressive all-arounder to a counterpuncher, because i had no big weapons and it works out great)

are there any pros on the tour who use an open stanced bh?

(i want to look at a few videos and see what techniques they use)

thanks in advanced

lucky leprechaun
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
nadal and his patented open stance down the line pass....or cross court pass well i dont think it matters he'll pass you anyway which way he wants it.

Othello
05-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Nadal hits open stance BHs a lot. Venus Williams hits almost exclusively open stance BHs.
But almost all pros will hit open stance BHs (whether they are 1 hander or 2 hander) when they don't have enough time to set up closed or neutral stance.
You should be able to hit your 2 hander (and 1 hander) with a closed, neutral or open stance.

splink779
05-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Nadal hits open stance BHs a lot. Venus Williams hits almost exclusively open stance BHs.
But almost all pros will hit open stance BHs (whether they are 1 hander or 2 hander) when they don't have enough time to set up closed or neutral stance.
You should be able to hit your 2 hander (and 1 hander) with a closed, neutral or open stance.

I agree. I don't think anyone hits an open stance unless they are pulled out wide. Coria is excellent at an open stance backahnd, so is Nadal. Well, a lot of clay guys are great at it because you can slide into it.