PDA

View Full Version : Non-dominant hand in 1HBH - interesting observation

limitup
05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I just noticed something interesting about Blake's 1HBH. His non-dominant hand stays on the throat of the racquet a long time - all the way through the drop and well into the forward swing.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but I've never really noticed anyone doing this before. Is this common, just one of his quirks, or maybe one of the reasons his backhand went from crap to a real weapon?

Amone
05-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Well, I don't really know about all that you're talking about, the especially long duration of the hand on the throat, but I do know that all pros with 1handed backhands tend to keep their hand on it through the backswing. I think it helps to let you know where the racquet is, so you can keep your head still while you watch the ball, but I haven't any real proof of this, it just makes sense to me.

On second check, it seems to me that all players keep their hands on the throats that long, or at least a few of the good ones; I personally only checked Haas and Federer aside from Blake.

Lindros13
05-30-2006, 02:39 AM
I'll look at the next few FO matches. However, I always thought the proper technique is to "throw" the non-dominant hand backward as you swing forward. This will prevent you from opening up your body.