PDA

View Full Version : ultimate set up for topspin

andyroddick's mojo
05-30-2006, 12:15 AM
what gear or techniques would you use to get the maximum amount of topspin into your groundstrokes.

brucie
05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Topspin is more of a technique, but i think string savers can increase topsin.

travlerajm
05-30-2006, 12:25 AM
1. OS head.
2. Very flexible thin-beam frame.
3. Extended frame.
4. Very low swingweight.
5. Very low hitting weight.
6. Very low tension.
7. Elastic (Gut) mains with slippery (Luxilon) crosses.
8. Only half as many cross strings (skip every other hole).
9. Very open string pattern.
10. Fast uppercut swing with western grip.

andreh
05-30-2006, 02:48 AM
1. OS head.
3. Extended frame.
4. Very low swingweight.
6. Very low tension.

Oh man, no wonder I don't get much topspin! :)

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
1. OS head.
3. Extended frame.
4. Very low swingweight.
6. Very low tension.

Technique is more important than the above mentioned, although they can help.

just out
05-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Are you really serious about this? Would you actually change what you have now if there was a maximum topspin set up posted on the board. Once you guys are done with this one, can you send me the set up for minimizing my unforced errors;)

ramseszerg
05-30-2006, 01:35 PM
1. OS head. -Do you seriously think that a tennis ball lands on one end of a racquet at contact and depart at the other end? It probably rolls for about 1 inch maximum.
3. Extended frame. -If you can whip it, that is.
4. Very low swingweight. -yes, headlightness leads to lower swingweight, and it is HLness that is good for whipping action, not the swingweight. Swingweight is a byproduct.
5. Very low hitting weight. - so now we have swingweight, static weight and hitting weight? If you meant static weight, that is not true!
6. Very low tension.
8. Only half as many cross strings (skip every other hole). - That's very extreme and...whats the word.. stupid.
9. Very open string pattern. -agreed
10. Fast uppercut swing with western grip. -no, not quite. If you are using a western grip your concern should be to hit through the ball to make sure it has decent pace. not up, since the grip alone will give you more topspin than you need.

Sorry I seldom rebut like this, but im just making sure nobody goes out and buys a 9 oz, 115 sq in frame and strings every other cross and then tries to hit loads of topspin and then breaks the crosses before the 9 oz frame can even give him/her tennis elbow.

ramseszerg
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
double post with more than 10 characters.

Pomeranian
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Topspin is almost 100% technique. An open string pattern, tight or low tension, flexible/thin frame, I would think maybe make 1% difference. (I left out weight/balance and length because swingspeed can affect spin a great deal) Hardly noticable to me and if you suddenly gain a lot more topspin from those subtle things, maybe I'm immune to it all or your spin fluctuates each day. I think the latter is reasonable, I mean each day we play differently, some days we play better than others right? Some players can hit with amazing topspin. You could give them the least "spin friendly" racquet and they'll make the ball jump on their groundstrokes. But whatever floats your boat, if a flexible, open pattern, thin beamed, OS racquet allows you to hit with such topspin you couldn't hit before, go for it.

But if you are just wanting more topspin and thinking about buying a new racquet for the sole purpose of topspin, I think you might be disappointed. A lower swingweight you like does help though for a faster swingspeed which ultimately gives you more topspin.

wyutani
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
what gear or techniques would you use to get the maximum amount of topspin into your groundstrokes.

low to high motion, western grip. for gear, i think you need to have low-tension strings mate'...

travlerajm
05-30-2006, 04:14 PM
1. OS head. -Do you seriously think that a tennis ball lands on one end of a racquet at contact and depart at the other end? It probably rolls for about 1 inch maximum.
3. Extended frame. -If you can whip it, that is.
4. Very low swingweight. -yes, headlightness leads to lower swingweight, and it is HLness that is good for whipping action, not the swingweight. Swingweight is a byproduct.
5. Very low hitting weight. - so now we have swingweight, static weight and hitting weight? If you meant static weight, that is not true!
6. Very low tension.
8. Only half as many cross strings (skip every other hole). - That's very extreme and...whats the word.. stupid.
9. Very open string pattern. -agreed
10. Fast uppercut swing with western grip. -no, not quite. If you are using a western grip your concern should be to hit through the ball to make sure it has decent pace. not up, since the grip alone will give you more topspin than you need.

Sorry I seldom rebut like this, but im just making sure nobody goes out and buys a 9 oz, 115 sq in frame and strings every other cross and then tries to hit loads of topspin and then breaks the crosses before the 9 oz frame can even give him/her tennis elbow.

The question asked for max topspin setup - and I gave it to him. Now you say that you want topspin AND control AND decent pace AND an arm-safe racquet? That would be answering a different question then.

Bungalo Bill
05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
The question asked for max topspin setup - and I gave it to him. Now you say that you want topspin AND control AND decent pace AND an arm-safe racquet? That would be answering a different question then.

LOL, no one is ever satisfied with just a simple yes and no. :)

tennis_nerd22
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
flexible wrists with a Nadal western grip :D

thinkfacility
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Eh, personally I think it makes a pretty big difference...at least up to a point. I have an old Prince Racquet with crappy strings and a warped grip, and I can't nearly enough topspin on it as I can with my LM radical, even if I do a full body rotation...

Oh, and I think I heard that using the buggy whip increases your topspin since it forces you to swing your racquet faster. Unfourtunatly, buggy whip shots can't hit balls that don't have pace, so if they slice it you can't use it. (well, at least I can't)

andyroddick's mojo
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
so what techniques would you say, could generate lots of topspin, not nadal kind, but more then average. Plus what strings would give you lots of spin, and lots of pop at the same time? one more question, is 16 x 18 an open string pattern? I know 16 x 19 is, but just wondering.

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
05-31-2006, 01:57 AM
Just get a LM Radical and enjoy!! Thats what I use, with a SW grip and I can hit tons of top-spin, and its a dense string pattern (18-20 I think) as well.