PDA

View Full Version : Pushers hate pushers too

Mladen
05-30-2006, 02:48 AM
I regulary play with a guy who is a pusher. Luckilly, I am a better player, and almost always I win without big troubles. But last time was one of that days... no timing, easy shots goes out, easy smashes goes to the net, no first serve, windy day... I won the first set 6:3, lose the second 7:5, and it was down 0:2 in third.

It was hopeless situation, I have no idea what to do, and I decided to start pushing like him. My only goal was good movement, clean contact, high over net, heavy spin, no power, no placement. And guess what. That confused the guy totally. He start to make easy errors, big misshits, then he became angry, try to hit with more power which leads him to bigger mishits. I won 6 games in a row on his errors. Unbelevable. My easiest win ever. No sweat.

But, the best thing happend after the match. He said something like this 'what an ugly match today, no power, no winners, only unforced errors, blah, blah...'. What? Ugly match? No power? Come on! That's your style man! I always thougt that pushers respect their style of play!!??

Next time, for experiment purpose, I'll play this guy like a pusher from the very first point (with normal style warmup ;-). It may be funny again.

wyutani
05-30-2006, 03:10 AM
trust me mate', pushing gets boring after a while...if you can beat your friend in pushing, that means he's either no good or suffering a stomach ache. try to find someone much better than you and i'll bet you'll completely abandon this "retrieving" style.

Duzza
05-30-2006, 03:56 AM
i sometimes like playing pushers. I feel you get more for your money

katastrof
05-30-2006, 04:33 AM
i sometimes like playing pushers. I feel you get more for your money
True, me too. You can set up properly for each ball and practice your shots. No pressure. As it has been discussed here a couple of times before, no picnic if you're not used to returning paceless balls.

Fatmike
05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
As it has been discussed here a couple of times before, no picnic if you're not used to returning paceless balls.

I often hit them in the fence since I'm to early on the ball. Then I start pushing/junkballing too. Then I win but it's not a satisfying win.

Andres
05-30-2006, 06:57 AM
True, me too. You can set up properly for each ball and practice your shots. No pressure. As it has been discussed here a couple of times before, no picnic if you're not used to returning paceless balls.
I LOOOVE playing pushers. That way, I don't even have to lose any energy bashing from the baseline, I take the net, where I'm more comfourtable, and fest on the paceless balls from there.

At the net, I think, in my own experience, the best chance anyway can get to beating a pusher. And 'beating' as in 'crushing'

katastrof
05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I LOOOVE playing pushers. That way, I don't even have to lose any energy bashing from the baseline, I take the net, where I'm more comfourtable, and fest on the paceless balls from there.

At the net, I think, in my own experience, the best chance anyway can get to beating a pusher. And 'beating' as in 'crushing'
My favorite shot: wherever you are on court, quick service motion (doesn't count as an overhead, I think) to SLAMMM that high & slow ball into the court. Best if it's a moonball coming to the baseline. The guy doesn't even understand what happened :)

vkartikv
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Almost everyone hates playing someone who has the same style as them. I love pushers and encourage it because anyone who doesnt like playing at the net is just sending an invitation to me to come out there. As it is I need no invites but pushers are just screaming out "come out and make me run"

donnyz89
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
I have played pushers using my normal aggressive baseline style but because they get everything back deep to the center, i cant really anticipate a short ball because there are no short balls... therefore i cant play my normal thinking and i end up messing up and get frustrated. but then i realize im a better player, so i started play a junkball game, short chips, dropshops, sidespin lobs out of nowhere, topspin lobs, underhand serves, anything goes, and i won pretty easily. But i know if i did these things against a real good player, they would be hitting winners all over.

so hitting hard isnt always good, you just have to find ways to win, ugly if you have to.

~RoWE~
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Dont want to sound dumb but what is a pusher ? I always thought they were juss crappy players that really dont have a lot of skill and juss moonballed it back most the time.

kevhen
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Pushers moonball or slice the ball back consistent enough to be successful at the 3.5 level. Hated by hard hitting but inconsistent 3.5ers who can't beat them.

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Pushers moonball or slice the ball back consistent enough to be successful at the 3.5 level. Hated by hard hitting but inconsistent 3.5ers who can't beat them.

Wow, Kevhen, great insight!

LuckyR
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Mladen- Great win! If you really think about it what got you the win (from the brink of defeat) wasn't your new pushing style, it was having the presence of mind to change your style. That is the sign of a budding all-court player. Congrats. Branch out into other styles and I guarantee you will be a force to be feared on the court.

Remember: it's not about the strokes, tennis is a mental game...

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Remember: it's not about the strokes, tennis is a mental game...

well, it is strokes too. :)

thinkfacility
06-02-2006, 03:54 PM
"Normal" pushers aren't all that bad (flat shots) Junk ballers and Moonballers get annoying though, especially if they can do both dropshots and lob from any position

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
"Normal" pushers aren't all that bad (flat shots) Junk ballers and Moonballers get annoying though, especially if they can do both dropshots and lob from any position

The ol' cat and mouse.

LuckyR
06-02-2006, 04:59 PM
well, it is strokes too. :)

Yeah, between levels strokes are a big deal, but within levels they are a minor player...

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, between levels strokes are a big deal, but within levels they are a minor player...

True, very true. What about tactics and strategy, is this falling into your camp of mental?

Thaimyshoe
06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I love playing pushers, they give me soo much overhead practice. When you rush net and you feed them a easy volley they totally feed you an easy overhead. It's awesome.

drakulie
06-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Pushers are a great way to practice serve and volley, and Sampras-Like slam dunk overheads.

thinkfacility
06-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Yeah...it's nice to volley against pushers, but not if they *force* you to come to the net. It's one thing to charge in on a weak rally, but quite another when you're sprinting up to get to a dropshot.

HyperHorse
06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
give em a drop shot and then if they give a deep return, drill a forehand right into their chest as punishment for even turning up...
think of it as a cross between tennis and 10 pin bowling.
:P

Mladen
06-05-2006, 12:51 AM

That's exact my situation. He is about 3.5 and I'm 4.0. I decided to play like pusher next time for experiment, but changed my mind after this discusion and played my old style. I won 6:2 6:2.

But, changing to push-style game for tactical purpose in some situations may be a good B (or C) plan. Not because of style, but because of drastic change which can really confuse your opponent.

LuckyR
06-05-2006, 09:46 AM
True, very true. What about tactics and strategy, is this falling into your camp of mental?

Yes, the heart of it...

topspin kid
06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
but u get get no experience thats why at practice i always try to play with someone better than me.