PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drives and a Kick Serve?

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 07:46 AM
I haven't yet got to try groundstrokes with the demos I received yesterday (PD, PD+, PC, PCMP) but I did get a chance to go out and hit numerous serves with the PD and PD+.

I'm amazed at the power and placement I can get with these racquets on the serve (especially with the PD+) with such a smooth and controlled swing. It's got me really excited about trying these racquets out for 17 hours over the next days.

But, I did find it pretty hard to get any power on my kick serves. They had great kick but the speed on them wasn't as great as with my Hyper ProStaff 6.1 or my POG mid.

Is this common for this racquet or is there some "trick" I should know about to get more speed on my kick serves with either of these racquets?

Thanks for the help.

Benjamin

tennisplayer3
03-03-2004, 10:25 AM
well, i've always felt that the secret trick to getting the pd+ to hit a good kickserve is to first spin around 3 times in a circle. Then you run up to the net and shout ooga booga at your opponent and smash your racquet and proceed to run around in circles. Then go get your other pd+ and hit a serve.

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 10:32 AM
tp3,

I tried that and it didn't work!!!

Benjamin

tennisplayer3
03-03-2004, 10:35 AM
hmm, dont have a suggestion then, sorry:(

spt
03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
If you are getting good spin, you may be able to try accelerating even more through the ball (in other words, trying to hit it harder). The extra spin should bring the ball down.

vin
03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Try adding some lead the the pure drive to make it as heavy as the racquet that you are used to.

Could it be that the racquet is strung too tight for the woofer system to have effect? How were your other serves?

I hit kick serves like I never have before in terms of power and spin with the PD+, although this was before I became accustomed to the ~12.5 oz racquet I use now. Maybe you'll hit better serves with the PC and it's extra weight.

This racquet is known for being a serving stick, and I'm convinced that kick serves are part of this praising.

Vin

El Diablo
03-03-2004, 12:09 PM
It might be the strength of your grip - weak hands from typing over 50 posts here in two weeks.

Thunnus
03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
As it has been mentioned many times here, PD+s are extremely sensitive to tension and types of strings. You may have to try at least several combo to get a satisfactory result. There is no need to doubt the fact you can product the biggest kick you will ever hit with these rackets with the right setup. Never question PD+'s ability produce topspin. Write that down, Ben, because it is the fact, and if you can't nail this fact down, you will really be on a wild goose chase running in circles in trying to find the right stick.

I know a guy who hits the nastiest kick serve I have ever seen, and his stick of choice is i.Prestige mid with very dense string patten. So, while it has something to do with the racket but it has a lot more to do with the technique and strength to produce the racket head speed to produce the right pace and spin. There ain't no shortcut or trick.

Thunnus
03-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I believe TW string their demo PD+s at 58lb on a lockout machine (neos) with NRG2s. This setup is pretty sweet and does provide lots of power and topspin. Because PD+ is so powerful, I found myself slowing down my serve motion over time. Make sure you swing fast and not slow down to keep the ball in. I will give you that I framed more balls with PD+ occasionally, though it almost never happened with POG Mid while trying do a kicker, probably due to thicker frame.

BTW, I could produce way more topspin with PD+ than POG Mid. In fact, every ground stroke and serve had at least one more foot of kick than any other racket I have tried. Trust me, I have tried many racket. The kind of spin this racket produces especially with spin friendly strings like Luxilon is unreal.

vin
03-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I will give you that I framed more balls with PD+ occasionally, though it almost never happened with POG Mid while trying do a kicker, probably due to thicker frame.

I used to play with a Yamaha Secret 20 that has a tweener size beam and would hit the frame on kick serves all the time. It drove me crazy.

Since switching to the rok which I think has a 18mm beam, this almost never happens. Certainly a nice side effect of having a thin beam!

Vin

@wright
03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
To get good kick serves with your PD, hold your PD with a continental grip while you put it back in your bag and get out a real racquet to serve with.

Greg
03-03-2004, 01:07 PM
To get good kick serves with your PD, hold your PD with a continental grip while you put it back in your bag and get out a real racquet to serve with.

Reach for a POG mid.

I need a POG mid, but I am broke. Please, send money to the "Buy Greg a POG" fund.

moonshine
03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been playing with the PD for over a year now, and I agree that you have to hit the ball perfectly to get a decent kick. With my PSC, I used to consistently get about 7 feet of vertical movement and 5-6 feet of horizontal movement on my kick. Since switching to the PD, I have hit maybe 5 serves that were similar my old kick. Hence the reason I am in the market for a new racquet.