PDA

View Full Version : how tight should you wrap an overgrip?

chex
05-30-2006, 04:44 AM
I've always wondered..
I tried the white pro overgrip today, and it seems to stretch a lot...
so .. the more I pull it, the narrower it gets, making it hard to keep consistant. Does anybody have any tip to keeping the overgrip consistant?

another thing I noticed, because my grip was white for the first time, i played for 3 hours today, and the top of it got really dirty, near the tape.. but it was still clean on the bottem, where I was holding it.
I actually pulled it really tightly near the top when I was ending it... could this be the reason why the top became so dirty? Or is it because my hand was actually blocking whatever dirt ...

another question.. since the top of the grip isn't tapered like the bottem of it, what do you do when you end it off? Do you keep wrapping it straight, parallel to the rest of the grip..

\
\
\
\

do you kind of turn it at the top so it's horizontal and easy to tape?

_
\
\
\

do you wrap it straight, and cut off the top at a angle so its straight?

aaand. the original question, how tight?

vinnier6
05-30-2006, 05:47 AM
i use the same overgrips, i dont usually pull it really tight but i do put a little bit of pressure when regripping with an overgrip...if your distorting the size of the overgrip by pulling then i would think you are pulling too tight...and at the end i just take a pair of sissors and cut a tapored end and then tape it off...

brucie
05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
As tight as possible without stretching the grip other than at start where slight stretching is often required.

MTChong
05-30-2006, 03:41 PM
For overgrips, I dont' really pull them taut at all

As for the dirt on top, you have a two-handed backhand, don't you?

meh
05-30-2006, 07:42 PM
However tight as you like. Personally, I pull my Tourna Grips until they're about to snap.

LowProfile
05-31-2006, 12:02 PM
It's necessary for Tourna Grips since they're so short.

Really it's a matter of preference although you don't want the grip to start slipping down the handle. Personally I just stretch my Wilson Pro as tight as possible to keep it constant because that stuff is very durable. I cut the top perpendicular to the racquet handle so that the tape ties it off cleanly without any overgrip flaps showing.

progman_2000
05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
I've always wondered..
another thing I noticed, because my grip was white for the first time, i played for 3 hours today, and the top of it got really dirty, near the tape.. but it was still clean on the bottem, where I was holding it.
I actually pulled it really tightly near the top when I was ending it... could this be the reason why the top became so dirty? Or is it because my hand was actually blocking whatever dirt ...?

I wrap my grips in gauze and noticed last week how the top of the grip (far above my racquet hand) was weirdly colored compared to where my racquet hand would be (I have a 1hbh). A couple of points later I noticed the discoloration was exactly where i hold the racquet with my non-racquet hand between points. Kind of weird, had never really noticed that before...

metsjets
05-31-2006, 05:36 PM
i wrap them tightly

anonymous2364
06-02-2006, 07:24 AM
i wrap them pretty tight, but its up to u

dmastous
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Kind of depends on how you like it. Some overgrips are made a bit short so they should be wrapped tightly.
But really the tighter you wrap it the thinner it will be, so it will change your grip size less. That's, to me, what defines it. I wrap them pretty tight myself.

Duzza
06-02-2006, 07:28 AM
well, tightly you cant go wrong but loosely theres room for errors and lumps, so i say tight.

kicker75
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
When I wrap my overgrips, I pull the overgrip just enough before the overgrip "warps" inwards on the sides. (if it warps, I think you're pulling too much). I also don't like a "grooved" feel on my grips, so the looser, the less of that you'll create.

I just use a scissor to cut the overgrip at the top, perpendicular to the end of the top of the handle. When all is said and done, I usually have 2-3 inches of overgrip cut off (Wilson Pro Overgrip - and I grip a longer handle for my 2 handed backhand)

As far as your question on dirt. The top hand on the handle is usually the non-dominant hand for most players. This also tends to be the hand that handles the ball the most (i.e. toss, bouncing, catching). The ball (particularly on outdoor courts) picks up a lot of dirt. Hence you're transferring that ball dirt, to your hand, to your handle...and thus why you have more dirt on the top of the racquet handle than on the bottom. Of course, this really only applies if you use a 2 handed backhand (or 2h forehand)

dewey2110
06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
it doesnt matter, you play it the way you like it and play best wit...

p0w3r
06-02-2006, 03:28 PM
i like to put them on looser since it would make my grip a bit bigger. i have a 4 3/8 gripsize that is a bit too small and a 4 1/2 would be too big so a 4 3/8 with a wilson pro overgrip is perfect :D.

Duzza
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I HAVE A NEW QUESTION! Sorry just couldnt be F***ed making a new thread. Ok so when you're putting your overgrips on.. how much do you wrap over when you go round? I've tried both like covering back over about a cm, which gives a big bump very uncomfortable. And then i've tried to BARELY cover it but i've found after a bit of time it moves downwards...

metsjets
06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
i like to wrap my tournagrip until i feel it can break...maybe i shoudln't :)

to answer your question, just wrap the grip so it feels comfortable. don't worry about how it looks. if you don't like the bumps, leave less space. just don't leave too little, then the two sections seperate...and you need to put a new one on.