PDA

View Full Version : eurosport better than espn2

tennissavy
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Eurosport covers tennis much better than espn2. Today eurosport showed the entire Henin match, which they should since she is the champion of Roland Garros. Espn2 switched to Roddick's warmup etc. We have now missed a couple of games of the second set of Roddick's match due to a backround story on Roddick. Eurosport is showing the better Safin/Gonzales match. Eurosport has not switched from live coverage to interviews or backround stories. I saw the entire Sharapova match on sunday on eurosport and espn gave the result and then showed only part of it the next day. That Sharapova match was the best of the tournament so far and I would have missed it if I relied only on espn. I am so glad that I can livestream eurosport. Espn is pathetic.

vkartikv
05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Its in the name itself - 'Euro' sport. Obviously tennis is bigger in Europe than it is in the US

Dilettante
05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, Eurosport makes a good job with Roland Garros.

goober
05-30-2006, 09:10 AM
tell us something we don't know.

Tennis is pretty low on the totem pole in the US as far as sports is concerned. ESPN overcovers NFL/NBA/MLB. The amount of coverage that the major sports get even during their off season is ridiculous. They televised senior college senior football players going through workouts and spent hours and hours on coverage on the NFL draft.

schaef
05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
I was watching ESPN2's coverage in the gym this morning, the volume was off so the commentary was being streamed across the screen.

It was annoying in and of itself because it was blocking some of the tennis but the nonsense that the commentators were offering up was torture.

Most of it wasn't even about the match.

I am not sure who is to blame, whether the networks pressure the announcers or the announcers egos drive them to fill space. Clearly tennis takes a back seat.

I am one of the many who don't get the TC but if they put their cameras in the right spot, told their announcers to keep quiet, had the courage to show the best matches (and switch away from blow outs) and were available in most areas, I'd be happy to see ESPN stick to NFL, NBA, MLB and DIII College Girl's Softball

tennissavy
05-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Rather than show Roddick's timeout, eurosport is showing the safin match. I am excited because I was never able to get eurosport on livestream before. This is great coverage by eurosport, no nonsense coverage. Espn has mostly nonsense coverage with a little tennis thrown in- absurd!

Gugafan_Redux
05-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Savy, what are you streaming with, btw?

Ash Doyle
05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
It was annoying in and of itself because it was blocking some of the tennis but the nonsense that the commentators were offering up was torture.

Most of it wasn't even about the match.

What were they talking about? I've been watching the coverage and I haven't noticed this. To me, there is a lot of unwarranted criticism at the commentatators on these boards. Sometimes, I think it comes come from some viewers lack of respect for tennis in the 70's and 80's (which commentatators discuss frequently...it's just their point of reference); and other times I think it's the MTV generation poor lack of attention that makes them unable to hear a conversation and visually follow the match at the same time.

scoot
05-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree that tennis on american tv is awful commentary. they do talk through the points often not at all on stories involving the match itself. an exception was the old HBO wimbledon commentary. That crew was great: they kept the focus on the match at hand & it was instructive and refreshing to hear them talk about strategy, what the players were doing, and what they should be doing at different juctures in the match.

HollerOne5
05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Not to mention the commentators on Eurosport are the same ones that do the commentary for the Tennis Masters series on the Tennis Channel right? I love those guys. How do i go about getting Eurosport? or Livestreamed or whatever

dubsplayer
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a lot of friends in the UK who would vehemently disagree with you and tell you that Eurosport shows way too many womens matches. None of them have been partically thrilled with ES so far this week.

And it's only natural that Espn was going to show Roddick and not Marat/Fena, given that it is an American broadcaster. I'm just glad he retired early enough so we got to see some of the other match. And since the other two American men will most likely be gone by tomorrow there will be very few American left to clutter up the broadcast schedule.

RoarT
05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I have a lot of friends in the UK who would vehemently disagree with you and tell you that Eurosport shows way too many womens matches. None of them have been partically thrilled with ES so far this week.

And it's only natural that Espn was going to show Roddick and not Marat/Fena, given that it is an American broadcaster. I'm just glad he retired early enough so we got to see some of the other match. And since the other two American men will most likely be gone by tomorrow there will be very few American left to clutter up the broadcast schedule.

Yes they do. Outside the Grand slams it's waaay to much WTA and only a few ATP tournemants.

simi
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
And since the other two American men will most likely be gone by tomorrow there will be very few American left to clutter up the broadcast schedule.

Amen!

But, we'll see four re-broadcasts of Venus' matches.

dubsplayer
05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Amen!

But, we'll see four re-broadcasts of Venus' matches.

LOL! I'm probably delusional but think they learned from the Serera 3peat within 12 hours two years ago. Now if we could only get rid of The Shrieker it would just about be perfect.

simi
05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Now if we could only get rid of The Shrieker it would just about be perfect.

I'm with you there. I don't even bother to watch her matches anymore. I record the matches and watch them at night. Fast-Forward is the best feature they could have possibly put on those DVR machines.

Dilettante
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes they do. Outside the Grand slams it's waaay to much WTA and only a few ATP tournemants.

True.

But, in Grand Slams, I like Eurosport coverage.

djones
05-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Yes, Eurosport makes a good job with Roland Garros.

But unfortunately it's just Roland Garros and the US open + a few, repeat a few like 2 or 3 tournaments a year.

It actually totally sucks since a few years.
They only show Female tennis, and I have sent them E-mails regarding this, and this is what's going to be for years to come.

pound cat
05-31-2006, 03:16 AM
this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I get to eurosport livestream???

Shabazza
05-31-2006, 03:36 AM
But unfortunately it's just Roland Garros and the US open + a few, repeat a few like 2 or 3 tournaments a year.

It actually totally sucks since a few years.
They only show Female tennis, and I have sent them E-mails regarding this, and this is what's going to be for years to come.
They just don't want to spend money for the Masters coverage of the ATP-tour! It just sucks, but their GS coverage is pretty good, indeed.

Mikael
05-31-2006, 03:41 AM
The best I've seen so far for ATP coverage is Sportv in Brazil. It shows all the slams, all the masters series, and a lot of other ATP events too (especially if Latin Americans are playing). Their commentary kinda sucks, but in a funny way, unlike that Enberg guy on ESPN.

Eurosport has the best commentary but like someone else said they're all about the WTA these days. ESPN is pathetic. I'd love to see what TTC is like.

artworks
05-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Eurosport covers tennis much better than espn2. Today eurosport showed the entire Henin match, which they should since she is the champion of Roland Garros. Espn2 switched to Roddick's warmup etc. We have now missed a couple of games of the second set of Roddick's match due to a backround story on Roddick. Eurosport is showing the better Safin/Gonzales match. Eurosport has not switched from live coverage to interviews or backround stories. I saw the entire Sharapova match on sunday on eurosport and espn gave the result and then showed only part of it the next day. That Sharapova match was the best of the tournament so far and I would have missed it if I relied only on espn. I am so glad that I can livestream eurosport. Espn is pathetic.

Isn't it Sharapova was playing against Washington, an American. Less marketing attraction than Roddick, I wonder.

Buuurnz
05-31-2006, 04:54 AM
Eurosport has great coverage on Roland Garros...over here in germany they are showing live Tennis from the Open from 11am till the last match!

Feņa14
05-31-2006, 07:03 AM

I agree with that too, Eurosport is good with the Australian Open and pretty decent with the French and I agree about the commentators being excellent.

But the BBC has been showing the best matches available, all the way through and with no breaks which I have been watching.

Eurosport is a good backup to the BBC when they show different matches but the BBC will always be number 1 for me.

dmastous
05-31-2006, 07:11 AM
When I lived in the Philippines briefly, I was surprised to see that the Grand Slams were basically given a channel (I think 17) and shown live all day, then repeated overnight. Or maybe it was the opposite...
I got Vijay Armitraj and Pat Cash and John Lloyd and enjoyed their camaraderie. I don't know if they still do that, but I wish they would do it here.

dubsplayer
05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
When I lived in the Philippines briefly, I was surprised to see that the Grand Slams were basically given a channel (I think 17) and shown live all day, then repeated overnight. Or maybe it was the opposite...
I got Vijay Armitraj and Pat Cash and John Lloyd and enjoyed their camaraderie. I don't know if they still do that, but I wish they would do it here.

I'm pretty sure they still do as I watched the livestream during the AO for matches that Espn didn't broadcast. It was on Starsports out of China but I'm pretty sure it's the English language broadcast that all of Asia gets. Vijay was one of the commos but not Cash. The Aussie I think was John Fitzgerald. And I think Stolle did a few too. Though hard to remember now.

dmastous
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty sure they still do as I watched the livestream during the AO for matches that Espn didn't broadcast. It was on Starsports out of China but I'm pretty sure it's the English language broadcast that all of Asia gets. Vijay was one of the commos but not Cash. The Aussie I think was John Fitsgerald. And I think Stolle did a few too. Though hard to remember now.

I'll have to dig out the tape. You may be right. The Star networks are ubiquitous over there. There's ESPN, but the world version, and StarSports, but the tennis was on a different channel. When the tennis wasn't on, it was showing a vitrual aquarium with new age music.

dubsplayer
05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
I'll have to dig out the tape. You may be right. The Star networks are ubiquitous over there. There's ESPN, but the world version, and StarSports, but the tennis was on a different channel. When the tennis wasn't on, it was showing a vitrual aquarium with new age music.

I've also watched the ESPN world version online so I might be confused too. I do remember that when the tennis wasn't on they showed rugby because I got to watch the Frenchies. :)

Free_Martha
05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Eurosport focuses on the women too much and has less good coverage of tennis in general.

I don't know about ESPN's coverage but Eurosport is for the birds.