PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

tennisguy17
07-04-2004, 08:39 AM
I am i intermediate player, looking to switch from a racket that provides power to more of a "players" racket. I currently use a Head I.S.10 which is causing me to hit the back fence every time. What would be a good affordable racket with good control (as I can generate my own power)? Would the Prince More Precision be a good option?

Thanks

raven5288
07-04-2004, 09:29 AM
i prestige comes to mind. you can find those pretty cheap now. Hmmmm...Ti Rad, Wilson Surge and Rok are also good.

Coda
07-04-2004, 09:36 AM
surge for an intermediate player or a player's racket if you have the muscle.

WilsonPSSurgeX
07-04-2004, 04:48 PM
yeah a surge or surge x would probably be good. Also try tightening the tension on the racquet so the ball doesnt hit the back of the fence ever time.

Steve H.
07-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Affordable? I think the best deal in a high-quality intermediate racquet these days is the Head TiRadical oversize at $79 from TW. It's still pretty forgiving, but considerably less zippy than the S10. If you want to try a more demanding frame, maybe the Surge or the Volkl Catapult 10 for $89. I wouldn't recommend a More anything, this was a failed experiment by Prince, frames without grommets for no apparent reason.

rondallrp
07-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Wilson, Head and Prince give there racquets a power/swing ratings. Probably the easiest way to learn them is visiting the manufactures web site.

Head control series racquets are L1, L2. L3...... (higher the L number the more control). The X series: higher number more power (I believe)

Prince uses a 100 series number. 800 and below is considered control oriented

Wilson uses a swing rating of S1, S2...... Higher number means faster and longer swing required to generate power.

These three manufacturers usually stamp the rating on the racquet.

Good luck figuring the Yonex system out. Don't know enough about the other manufactures to talk.

Even more helpful, on TW's home page, under "Tennis Racquets" you can select to display racquets by "category". Usually the "players" racquets are control orientated.

Good luck with solving the ever frustrating riddle of maintaining balance between power and control.

kv581
09-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Affordable? I think the best deal in a high-quality intermediate racquet these days is the Head TiRadical oversize at $79 from TW. It's still pretty forgiving, but considerably less zippy than the S10. If you want to try a more demanding frame, maybe the Surge or the Volkl Catapult 10 for $89. I wouldn't recommend a More anything, this was a failed experiment by Prince, frames without grommets for no apparent reason.

Do you guys really think Surge is a more demanding frame than TiRad OS? Aside from TiRad's larger sweet spot, I actually felt that Surge was an easier racquet to use. The Surge felt stiffer and more powerful, so the player doesn't need to swing out as much. Also, Surge seemed to swing a bit lighter than TiRad OS, as if it cuts through air a bit easier. Something to do with Surge's rounded aerodynamic beams?

K!ck5w3rvE
09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Fischer Pro 1.

Steve H.
09-07-2004, 01:41 AM
The TiRad OS's bigger sweetspot is what I meant about it being less demanding (some of us are hand-eye-challenged!)

The Surge certainly has a snugger feeling, and the smaller head and lower swingweight would make it swing more easily. Power should be about the same, although with a different feel. Just pick the one you like -- both are terrific frames, you can't go wrong with either one.