PDA

View Full Version : ESPN2 jerks the heartstrings again (Blake)

Colpo
05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Yesterday's French coverage was on in the background, when all of a sudden I heard the pained strains of one, lonely hand twittering across a piano keyboard. It played a sad key, like a D minor, maybe, and it got my attention. Why not just show a match? Wait a second, this is the ESPN, the world's most full-of-itself TV channel, so of course they find innumerable ways to avoid showing plain old tennis points being played. This I couldn't believe: they told the James Blake past-2-years saga again??!! Who does ESPN think is watching this stuff?? We're already tennis fans, so we've heard his history before, and if I were Blake, I'd ask ESPN to please stop invading my and my family's privacy and just show my matches.

HollerOne5
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Yesterday's French coverage was on in the background, when all of a sudden I heard the pained strains of one, lonely hand twittering across a piano keyboard. It played a sad key, like a D minor, maybe, and it got my attention. Why not just show a match? Wait a second, this is the ESPN, the world's most full-of-itself TV channel, so of course they find innumerable ways to avoid showing plain old tennis points being played. This I couldn't believe: they told the James Blake past-2-years saga again??!! Who does ESPN think is watching this stuff?? We're already tennis fans, so we've heard his history before, and if I were Blake, I'd ask ESPN to please stop invading my and my family's privacy and just show my matches.

Totally agree...first time I heard the story I felt sorry for the guy. But after hearing it over and over and over again I've become more annoyed with James Blake than anything, and it might not be his fault. But if I hear that story one more time I'm gonna throw my TV set out the window

Say Chi Sin Lo
05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
it's a great story, majority of the pro players have no past. Born into well established families, sent to some sort of tennis academy, and turn pro, and they wont hit any major obstacles except for a couple of years of crap tennis.

But Blake went through something that typical tour player wouldnt go through, and the fact that he came back as a different player. How can they not milk it? I'm not saying they should keep milking it, but it's still a great story and they've got bills to pay. And it's not like they run it for a hour or so, most of the story telling dont last for longer than 15mins.

What ****es me off about espn the most is that... they keep showing blow-out matches.

Oricus
05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a simple solution for all people who dislike seeing the story every tournament James is in. And here it is.

Change the channel, this is how you do it, you simply pick up a remote and press a channel up/down or punch a number to a channel where you likely also watch. This allows you to prevent seeing the interview in which you already know you would not be able to watch tennis for about 2 minutes.

This brief interlude can allow you to use the restroom, refit your seating position, check your email, text message a friend, cook a batch of popcorn, and many more wonderful ideas.

Don't allow this espn interview to ruin your experience, try to maximize the time off with as much as possible!

splink779
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
No matter how bad it is for you, imagine how it is for Blake. He must have had to tell the story of his misfortunes and his father's death over 100 times.

armand
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
My god, there's like 10hrs of tennis on per day and even the hardest of the hardcore is getting bored. Injecting something other than yellow ball on red court is mandatory.

A tennis match is a story and no apology is necessary for the story teller to delve into the character of one of its protagonists.

HollerOne5
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Have you ever thought that true tennis fans would just purely like to watch tennis? Even tennis without commentary, let alone all these stupid little interlude pieces that Dick Enberg or Mary Carillo feel compelled to narrarate. This is why I prefer the British commentators on the Tennis Channel during the TMS events, because they don't talk during the points and they stick to talking about the current match, rather than all the BS that Carillo and company like to point out. But, living in America, we are stuck with ESPN2 and the favortism they show in thinking that America wants to see American tennis players over other exciting matches.

For example, was anyone else hoping they would have switched from the pathetic Roddick match to the Safin/Gonzalez match much earlier? Oh, but even after that, we have to cut away again to see the Andy Roddick news conference, because that is so freaking important.

So changing the channel is not the solution, because I shouldn't have to. I keep it on hoping that out of no where, something will be more entertaining to watch, and it will just magically appear. To be honest though, I'm typically disappointed.

Slazenger
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM

In general (grossly that is) all minor keys are 'sad' keys. Opposite for major keys.

I really liked the piece they did and how much of his dad they showed. He looks SO much like his dad. It was nice to see footage of him as a kid playing with a HUGE racquet :o .
You are more than likely in the minority when it comes to being tired of hearing the story.

VGP
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM

D minor, it's the saddest of all the keys.....

Slazenger
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
No matter how bad it is for you, imagine how it is for Blake. He must have had to tell the story of his misfortunes and his father's death over 100 times.

You know this is exactly what I was thinking of during the segment, how painful it must be to have to tell the story on camera a number of times.

Slazenger
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM

totally subjective.

Roger is Boring
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I am getting tired of the blake story too but it makes a good story for those who have not heard it before. the hingis comeback story is getting overplayed too..,
and-the fed\nadal "rivalry" is getting too much airplay:D

Defcon
05-30-2006, 06:07 PM
There can never be enough Hingis !!

Blake seems a nice enough guy, he has a good game and attitude, and most of all he always beats Nadal, so you have to root for the guy :) Thank god J-block is absent.

Z-Man
05-30-2006, 06:18 PM

Was it a combination of Mozart and Bach? Sort of a "Mock" piece?

my-add
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Look, I am not always happy with ESPN and their tennis coverage. But they are giving us 10 hours a day with LIVE tennis. Thats pretty good. Remember when USA covered ther french open, you would only get 2 hours of taped tennis per day. It was usually on from noon till 2. So the bottom line is STOP B-------. I have seen the blake story too, but it is a good story about how he overcame all the tradgedy he went through. I think the least we can do is watch and root for james!!!!!

easternforehand
05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I personally think it's fine that the James Blake story is being retold so much. I don't think it's getting any more airplay than, say, Barry Bonds' steroid use. And at least with the Blake story, it's a positive, inspirational one that sheds a positive light on one of sports' genuinely good guys.

Tennis has always been been personality-driven, so for ESPN to try to flesh out the personality of Blake is perfectly acceptable.

skip1969
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
when you hear the same story over and over, it usually means one thing: there's little else to talk about. period. and they LOVE to talk on espn during tennis. i guess they think watching a little, yellow ball go over a net isn't riveting enough.

bottom line is, it's an american network. and there ain't many americans doing much at roland garros. so they drag out the tired, but successful james blake pull-on-the-heartstrings piece . . . again. and just think of how many times you'll get to see it if he makes it to the second week, now that roddick is out!

armand
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Have you ever thought that true tennis fans would just purely like to watch tennis? No. Does the true scifi fan just purely wanna see the Enterprise being eaten by a giant space creature? Does the true soap opera fan just purely wanna see the female slapping the male in the face? Does the home improvement fan just purely wanna see Bob Villa hammer nails into wood?

ESPN has been doing a perfect job for the French. Finally!Look, I am not always happy with ESPN and their tennis coverage. But they are giving us 10 hours a day with LIVE tennis. Thats pretty good. Remember when USA covered ther french open, you would only get 2 hours of taped tennis per day. It was usually on from noon till 2. So the bottom line is STOP B-------. Exactly.

VGP
05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Was it a combination of Mozart and Bach? Sort of a "Mock" piece?

I see SOMEONE got my reference.......ah, Nigel Tufnel. What an artist.

dubsplayer
05-31-2006, 05:05 AM
I am getting tired of the blake story too but it makes a good story for those who have not heard it before. the hingis comeback story is getting overplayed too..,
and-the fed\nadal "rivalry" is getting too much airplay:D

There is no one on the planet who has not heard his story.

Rabbit
05-31-2006, 06:19 AM
Hey, but you gotta love a network that puts a Spelling Bee on their premier channel over a psuedo-sport like tennis.