PDA

View Full Version : how is andys coach his brother

fuzzy1
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
im sorry if im ignorant to the whole thing but i would like to know how andys brother is soooo qualified to be his coach isnt it when he became his coach is wen andy went into his loosing streak. i would like to know why andy chose him to be his coach besides the fact hes his brother

Gugafan_Redux
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Forgot these.

' ' , '. ' h '

Max G.
05-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Because John knows him very well and can make him work, or so I suppose. I don't know for sure, obviously.

DRtenniS1112
05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Sometimes when pros establish a big name for themselves, as Roddick had done, coaches are more worried with pleasing them then necessarily improving them. This is because they want to stay with them since that is where the money is. Roddick knew his brother wouldnt take crap and would tell him the truth even if it meant being a bit of a *****. Andy felt thats what he needed.

Matthew
05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I believe that Andy's brother John has been a tennis coach for some time now, just maybe not professionally. So it isn't like he is entirely unqualified for the job, and he may be more qualified than some already knowing his brother better than anyone else. Anyway, Andy can go through 10 coaches a year and it isn't going to help any, his problem lies within himself and he's the only one who can control that.

I might as well be his coach...

Jonnyf
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
His bro is an ex-pro who retired because of a (back i believe) injury

MLoutch
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
John Roddick does have a pretty good Tennis resume - he was a top player in the Texas section and was one of the top Nat'l juniors and was on the 1993 and 94 nat'l team.

- played and coached DI Tennis - At Georgia Roddick was a three-time All-American for the Bulldogs, serving as captain his senior year while advancing to the semifinals of the NCAA Championships in singles. He was 1997 ITA National Clay Court Doubles Champion with Steven Baldas, and the duo held the No. 2 ranking in the nation at the conclusion of the 1998 season. During his four seasons with the Bulldogs, Georgia tallied three SEC Championship titles and maintained an average season-ending national ranking of No. 3. He also played No. 1 singles for the Bulldogs while competing for the national team title in 1997 and 1998.

He coached at Florida state and then at Georiga, he was the assistant coach when they won the 2002 NCAA's - Prior to assisting with the Seminoles, Roddick served as coach for several junior players. Two of his players, Marty Fish and David Martin,were ranked in the Top 20 worldwide in the Under-18 age group. He was also the coach for the New York Team tennis team
and his own Tennis academy in San Antonio, Tx.

fuzzy1
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
ok i thought that he didnt have any background of tennis at all and i just thought andy chose him cus he was broke as **** and he needed somthing to do to gte money or somthing

lucky leprechaun
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
He probably wanted to take it easy from coaching and being told he sucked at this and that that's why he got his brother imo. I doubt they're really working on anything.

Alexandros
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
ok i thought that he didnt have any background of tennis at all and i just thought andy chose him cus he was broke as **** and he needed somthing to do to gte money or somthing

You thought the top American player, US Open champion, ranked in the top 5 for the past three years, swimming in endorsement deals and is easily one of the games most marketable players doesn't have enough money to pay for a coach? Clearly you didn't think hard enough.

goober
05-30-2006, 04:16 PM
You thought the top American player, US Open champion, ranked in the top 5 for the past three years, swimming in endorsement deals and is easily one of the games most marketable players doesn't have enough money to pay for a coach? Clearly you didn't think hard enough.

Yeah seriously- the only active American player richer than Roddick is Agassi and soon as he retires it will be Roddick. Players who are going on the cheap are the ones ranked outside the top 100.

siber222000
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
have u ever thought of sponsorship? o_O