PDA

View Full Version : Nadal VS Kim

BabolatFan
05-30-2006, 01:28 PM
What day do they play in 2nd round? I know Kkim's furthest reach in ATP tournaments was 4th round at USO or Oz open. Can't remember whichone. Does he have the potential to take a set from Nadal?

PeterSampras
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
This match will be a joke. Kim is a weakling. I predict Nadal 6-1, 6-0, 6-0

Tchocky
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Kim has zero chance of taking a set. Even Soderling couldn't take a set. Kevin joked that his mom was excited to get Rafa's autograph signaling he had already lost.

Tchocky
05-30-2006, 01:35 PM

That's a bit harsh. Kim could beat you Pete.

PeterSampras
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah I'm sure he could beat my grandmother too. Who cares?

MLoutch
05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Rafa in about 50 min - 1 / 0 / 2

lets give'em 3 games. unless Rafa decides to work on his volley's - them Kim MIGHT get another game or two.

Down_the_line
05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Imagine if it was Srichaphan Nadal was playing, the world's worst claycourter against the world's best claycourter. I'm guessing the Nadal/Kim match will be a lot like that. I can definately see Nadal throwing in two bagel sets.

HollerOne5
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
To be honest, I can't see Nadal humilating anyone like that. For instance, Nadal would definitely be the type to throw in a few games for the sake of sportsmanship rather than win in a double or triple bagel even. I will get flamed for this, but I think its true. Honestly, if he was up 6-0, 6-0, 5-0, he'd surrender a game

lucky leprechaun
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Nah he probably has a soft spot for moya, but everyone he's out to destroy.

pound cat
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
To be honest, I can't see Nadal humilating anyone like that. For instance, Nadal would definitely be the type to throw in a few games for the sake of sportsmanship rather than win in a double or triple bagel even. I will get flamed for this, but I think its true. Honestly, if he was up 6-0, 6-0, 5-0, he'd surrender a game

Honestly, that's not how professional tennis works. No one, ever, anywhere, has ever "given" someone a game. Winning 6-0 6-1 6-0 has nothing to do with trying to humiliate anyone. All it does is show how good a player X is and how much lesser a player Y is compared to X.

Once the players are on the court, it's strictly business.

ACE of Hearts
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Kim has no shot!!!!He might as well try witchcraft.:mrgreen:

Simon Cowell
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Kim will win in straight sets.

fastdunn
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Kevin Kim is actually pretty strong guy at 5'11". I think you're confused
with Alex Kim who is pretty small at 5'8" or 5'9".

HollerOne5
05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Honestly, that's not how professional tennis works. No one, ever, anywhere, has ever "given" someone a game. Winning 6-0 6-1 6-0 has nothing to do with trying to humiliate anyone. All it does is show how good a player X is and how much lesser a player Y is compared to X.

Once the players are on the court, it's strictly business.

Honestly, this has happened before, especially on the women's side. I've seen many matches where, a game might not be outright given away, but you can see a top player let up a bit and give the player who is getting killed a better opportunity to at least win a game. Especially if it is an "Un-losable" match if that is even a word. Its kind of the equivalent to if a top player works on certain techniques he/she would never do in a close match, but does it in a match they know they will win just to practice it....

!Tym
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Honestly, this has happened before, especially on the women's side. I've seen many matches where, a game might not be outright given away, but you can see a top player let up a bit and give the player who is getting killed a better opportunity to at least win a game. Especially if it is an "Un-losable" match if that is even a word. Its kind of the equivalent to if a top player works on certain techniques he/she would never do in a close match, but does it in a match they know they will win just to practice it....

It does happen, but I don't think guys like Nadal and Muster and Seles and Chang and Hewitt, etc. types are the types to do that. Part of what separates them from the pack is that they have undeniable killer instinct. I.e. Look at how infuriated Corretja was with Hewitt for yelling come on when on the verge of closing him out love, love, and love at the Aussie. And this is Corretja we're talking about here, a well-respected player, ATP player representative-elect, former Masters champion, French Open finalist, long time top player, NOT Kevin Kim at all, and yet still Hewitt wasn't letting up for him just to save Corretja some embarrassment.

Many may think Kevin Kim is a joke, but see what happened to Kafelnikov when he had the worst day of his life at the Australian Open, he got straight setted by Alex Kim.

Did you see Diego Hartfield the other day against Federer? You can't have bad days out there at this level even if you're Federer. Sure, that's not the same as losing, but still ALL of these guys are too good to be messing around. That's why Safin's having such a tough go of it now. If you lose your confidence, no matter how talented or big and powerful and strong you are, you are vulnerable at this level.

Kim nearly beat Ancic in Miami this year, he beat Youhzny, yes these were on hard courts; but he's not sooo bad that Nadal's going to just donate games for the sake of it or Nadal doesn't need to show up at all.

Put it this way. Bruguera's best friend on tour was Medvedev, and he was in the zone one time and got up 6-0, 5-0 on him at the Lipton and lost only a literal handful of points in the first set he was playing so "unbelievable" according to PMac. BUT, the final score ended up being 6-0, 6-3. He later intimated according to Cliffie that he didn't want to beat his good friend love and love so he let up a little, BUT what happened when he did this? Medvedev took *immediate* advantage and started playing his best tennis of the match, and then Bruguera said wait a second, he had just quickly lost three games, was losing focus, and he said I better get serious again, like right NOW, and just get this thing over with. Close it out, there's no time to play around out there. You're a professional. You have a job. You can't sleep out there. Simple as that.

Still, my prediction is that if Nadal plays his best tennis; love, love, and love would not be out of the question.

Bruguera once beat Champion at the French love, love, and love. Those who were there said that Bruguera was almost trying to give Champion a game at the end, but Champion couldn't take it by then because he was so despondent/embarrassed. Um, I suppose that's a possibility too.

Viper
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I sense a disturbance in the peace.

hoosierbr
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
If Kim gets four games he should be grateful. I see it 3, 1 and 0.

ppw350Zunit
05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
i don't think he'll get bageled. 6-2, 6-1, 6-1. :D

fastdunn
05-31-2006, 12:27 AM
I'll be rooting for our local Kevin Kim, native of Torrance, CA !