PDA

View Full Version : Vilas takes at stab at Nadal

DRtenniS1112
05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Vilas, the former clay court consecutive win record holder, announced that Nadal's record is not as worthy because it was spanned out over 2 years and he also accused Nadal of padding his schedule with easy tournaments. Either way Nadal's record is amazing and Vilas needs to keep thoughts to himself.

*source: ESPN news

MagicMT
05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
yea i agree. Vilas claimed he got his streak in 1 and 1/2 monthes. how is that even possible? he would have to have a match everyday basically...

The Pusher Terminator
05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Vilas streak was only broken because he simply gave up. Nastas was using the infamous spaghetti racquet and Vilas simply walked off the court in disgust. The record was broken!

Morpheus
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
yea i agree. Vilas claimed he got his streak in 1 and 1/2 monthes. how is that even possible? he would have to have a match everyday basically...

Yes, I thought the same thing. He claimed that the players don't play as many matches today and to string together so many matches over two years is really not the same as doing it over a couple months.

He really needs a hair cut, too.

lucky leprechaun
05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
You'd figure vilas would love this guy, his hare apparent. I thought something was fishy, when he spoke more glowingly of federer than nadal before he made all these comments on the record.

Alexandros
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Vilas, the former clay court consecutive win record holder, announced that Nadal's record is not as worthy because it was spanned out over 2 years and he also accused Nadal of padding his schedule with easy tournaments. Either way Nadal's record is amazing and Vilas needs to keep thoughts to himself.

*source: ESPN news

Vilas has every right to express what he thinks, I find it to be a thousand times better than fake flowery praise his PR manager cooks up for him. That said, I think Vilas is just envious of the attention that Nadal is getting and how public opinion is being directed into thinking of Nadal as a superior clay courter than him.

In regards to the argument itself... what difference does it make if the record is amassed over a long period of time with gaps in between? To be honest I would think that would make it more difficult than chaining all your wins together, as it's obviously easier to keep the ball rolling when you're accustomed and grooved to the surface over several weeks, as opposed to playing on hard courts one week and then onto clay the next.

chiru
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
good observation alexandors, about the harder to do it over time part.

mileslong
05-30-2006, 05:37 PM
You'd figure vilas would love this guy, his hare apparent.
i bet nadal hopes he isnt his "hair" apparent...

Viper
05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I though I agree it is harder to have a record harder overtime, I do think the some of the tournaments were to easy. Also, look at the oppenents Vilas had to play, compared to Nadals. Completely different story, no?

christo
05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Apples to Oranges? Lefties should ALWAYS stick together. Vilas may be upset cos I'm sure Rafa gets much better looking babes

Andres
05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Apples to Oranges? Lefties should ALWAYS stick together. Vilas may be upset cos I'm sure Rafa gets much better looking babes
Hey! Vilas hook up with Caroline of Monaco!! :mrgreen:

Dilettante
05-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Vilas has every right to express what he thinks, I find it to be a thousand times better than fake flowery praise his PR manager cooks up for him.

I agree, and, in certain way, I appreciate Vilas' straight talking.

That said, I also agree about Vilas seems to be just upset because his record was broken. Obviously it's way much harder to maintain a streak over time, no matter what Vilas say. And Vilas knows that better than any of us.

Defcon
05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
The whole record is meaningless. Borg was the best claycourter ever. He owned Vilas and regardless of his current dominance, Nadal is not even close to Borg, people and the media need to stop pretending he's the best dirtballer.

superman1
05-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Yup, these streaks are meaningless and they've got Vilas feeling shoved aside with Nadal towering in front of him. It's just a case of tennis trying to be like baseball and other sports that put emphasis on these things.

textbook strokes
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Records aside, and although I'm big fan of Rafa, Nadal will never represents for the Spaniards what Vilas meant for all latin americans (not only Argies). Before him, there was nothing, and he was the first who stood against the best americans, australians and europeans who dominated tennis back then. He also transformed tennis from an ellite game to serious sport here in the south.
A hard worker ( 8 hs per day in a court), an innovator (Topspin), a free spirit as a poet and a deep thinker (Not a one-dimensional guy, to use a Rog's verbal construction).
Next time you think about Guga, Rios, Nalby, Coria or Gonzo, remember they are all standing on the shoulders of this giant!:cool:

gallixx
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
One thing, Vilas got his streak in 4 and a half months, not in 1 1/2. This fact, and only this, means to me that his streak is more "true" than Rafa´s. I mean, he got his streak in half a season, not in two years.
Also, as Vilas said, the 53 games streak is the less important of his 3 standing records: he got 46 consecutive wins in all surface matches and, most impressive, he got 16 titles in one season. I think no one would beat the last one.

PS: although, his music sucks!

Morpheus
05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
One thing, Vilas got his streak in 4 and a half months, not in 1 1/2. This fact, and only this, means to me that his streak is more "true" than Rafa´s. I mean, he got his streak in half a season, not in two years.
Also, as Vilas said, the 53 games streak is the less important of his 3 standing records: he got 46 consecutive wins in all surface matches and, most impressive, he got 16 titles in one season. I think no one would beat the last one.

PS: although, his music sucks!

I wonder if anyone ever came close to Helen Wills Moody's 158-match winning streak (1927-32), during which she did not lose a single set.

bluegrasser
05-31-2006, 06:05 PM
The whole record is meaningless. Borg was the best claycourter ever. He owned Vilas and regardless of his current dominance, Nadal is not even close to Borg, people and the media need to stop pretending he's the best dirtballer.

Ditto....

Free_Martha
05-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Just the bitter rantings from an old man living with regret, living in the past and and realizing his irrelevancy to today's tennis world.