PDA

View Full Version : Do Shock absorbers do much?

brucie
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
So Im thinking Ive used them and stoped started again, lost them used them stopped it goes on! ;) anyway what do we think of them everybody?

As of today and currently a non shock absorber user I think:

Pros
Racket becomes quiter
They look kind of fancy

Cons
You often lose them and it messes with your head when you do!
When you miss hit a volley it goes anywhere!
You lose POWER! this is the big one im sure power is reduced what do you think?

Lastly Vibration is stopped? YES/ NO/ MAYBE SO?
What do we think? I cant even tell!

Thanks I know its kind of a boreing topic, but i always like some feedback and views! ;)

nViATi
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
So Im thinking Ive used them and stoped started again, lost them used them stopped it goes on! ;) anyway what do we think of them everybody?

As of today and currently a non shock absorber user I think:

Pros
Racket becomes quiter
They look kind of fancy

Cons
You often lose them and it messes with your head when you do!
When you miss hit a volley it goes anywhere!
You lose POWER! this is the big one im sure power is reduced what do you think?

Lastly Vibration is stopped? YES/ NO/ MAYBE SO?
What do we think? I cant even tell!

Thanks I know its kind of a boreing topic, but i always like some feedback and views! ;)
It stops the string vibrations so the racquet feels a bit different. Power is the same. There is no reduction in power.

Roffey
05-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I can't play without one. It's mostly psychological in my case, though others agree my racquet is jarring without one.

dmastous
05-30-2006, 08:18 PM
I've yet to read anywhere where vibration causes arm trouble. They are called vibration dampners not shock absorbers. They do nothing to reduce the shock which is what can cause arm trouble.
For my self, I've tried there here and there, but I always find I loose the 'feel' of the ball off the racquet and end up taking them out.

snoflewis
05-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I can't play without one. It's mostly psychological in my case, though others agree my racquet is jarring without one.

seriously...once i hear the pinging...i cant focus..i dont know why.

travlerajm
05-30-2006, 11:21 PM
The bigger ones are a waste of mass. If you like the way your racquet plays with a 1-g damper at the bottom of the stringbed. You'd be better off taking that 1 g and splitting it up with one half on each side of the throat, which would add torsional stability but keep the swingweight the same.

anonymous2364
06-02-2006, 07:22 AM
dampers barely do anything

kicker75
06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Vibration dampeners do little if anything at all, and I use them. The only thing I've really noticed that they do is quiet the sound of the strings when making impact with the ball (though not much). They do not seem to reduce vibration or shock...however, changing strings does.

However, a nice side in using them is that I have used them to label racquets (i.e. string tension). I place a mark on the dampener to differentiate my racquets from each other. (of course, there are other ways to do this, and also it's not necessary if you use the same string tension on all racquets)

tennis_nerd22
06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
seriously...once i hear the pinging...i cant focus..i dont know why.

lol same here

LuckyR
06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
As mentioned they do nothing for your arm. Personally, I like as much information from the stringbed as possible so I gave up on them, no complaints.

metsjets
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
think about it. what can a little piece of rubber do? it reduces vibration just a tiny bit and changes the sound. the sound is why i use one :). i don't really think it reduces the strength of the vibration, but it does reduce the duration. the vibrations feel somewhat...longer. whatever floats your boat.

Kabob190
06-02-2006, 08:32 PM
All i know is, when i use one there is no pinging sound. And when i dont use one there is a pinging sound. Thats all i need out of them.

guedoguedo
06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
i cant stand a flimsy pinging sound. uch. gives me no confidence

chex
06-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I can't play without one.. it depends on the one I use though... the stock ones get rid of the ping.. and whatnot, but I used the sampras O's, and it gives you the pop...
I think it's more psychological than anything, but I feel like I'm playing 3x better when I have one on..
I don't feel any reduction in power... and I use rubber bands now, they never fall off, and I've never hit a dampener... if you hit it that low on your racquet, it's bound to go off strange anyways.. I don't feel any power reduction either, but if I tie it wrong, and wind the rubber band too much, it really deadens the string, which is worse than the ping..

nViATi
06-02-2006, 11:36 PM
i cant stand a flimsy pinging sound. uch. gives me no confidence
The ping is only flimsy because you never hit the sweetspot!
just kiddin ;)

Lindros13
06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
So would most people agree that the dampener just helps with the feel and the sound as opposed to harmful arm/shoulder vibration?

scotus
06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
So would most people agree that the dampener just helps with the feel and the sound as opposed to harmful arm/shoulder vibration?

That would be true for most dampeners, but not for Babolat Racquet Vibration System, which actually dampens the frame shock and vibration. Give it a try.

Kabob190
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
That would be true for most dampeners, but not for Babolat Racquet Vibration System, which actually dampens the frame shock and vibration. Give it a try.

Wow, that sounded like an ad for babolat. Heh sorry i know your just giving a recomendation but it sounds like you work for babolat or something.

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM

link? what shape are they???
cheers in advance...
never mind, just found them on TW..
looks very interesting... will have to try them when i start playing again...

300Gkid
06-04-2006, 03:58 AM
what about the Gamma Shockbuster 2's i see many players at my club using them.

Viper
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Shockbusters are great.

scotus
06-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Wow, that sounded like an ad for babolat. Heh sorry i know your just giving a recomendation but it sounds like you work for babolat or something.

Would that I worked for Babolat! Then I could get all sorts of goodies at a discount!

I am just recommending it, because it really does make a difference, and if you have ever had an arm problem, you would wish you had this dampener.

The downside with Babolat RVS is its longevity. It is good for a few hitting sessions and then it starts moving around. If it does not touch the frame, then it doesn't work.

What I do to offset that is apply a tiny drop of Super Glue at each of the 4 points where the RVS meets the string. Then it stays on until the next string job.

scotus
06-05-2006, 12:24 PM
what about the Gamma Shockbuster 2's i see many players at my club using them.

I like Shockbusters, too, and sometimes I use it in conjunction with my Babolat RVS.

But the Shockbusters only address the string vibration and not the frame shock & vibration. Reducing the former without dampening the latter does little to help the arm. Search for my previous post in Health & Fitness section about a Duke University dissertation on the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of Gamma Shockbuster I.

hewitt9
06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
i h8 it when the person im playing against doesnt have one if sounds so wierd:rolleyes: