PDA

View Full Version : Outter Banks Tennis

mxchickmagnet68
05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any info on the tennis in the Outter Banks area of NC. I know there is a tennis/fitness place there, is there a pro? is he/she any good?. And if anyone is going to be there from June 4-11 I'd love to hit with you. I'm 17, male and going to play in college in the fall.

AUGUSTA
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
dude, i don't think there is any tennis on the outer banks because the islands are not 78' wide.

35ft6
05-31-2006, 04:16 AM
I played in the indoor courts once. A friend and I rented the ball machine. The pro seemed pretty cool. He lent me his racket when I broke my strings. Can't remember how much it cost or anything but I THINK it was around 50 an hour and this was in the afternoon during August.

atatu
05-31-2006, 12:40 PM
The best place to play is the Pine Island Racket Club. The pro there runs clinics and will set you up with other players. I checked out every place when I was there and this one is the best.

atatu
06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Here's a link: http://www.thesanderling.com/spa_racquet.aspx

mxchickmagnet68
06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
thanx a lot
i'll let ya know how I make out, once I get back

SCSI
06-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Outer Banks is a big area. Are you going to Nags Head, Duck, or Hatteras or somewhere in between.

mxchickmagnet68
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I have no idea what exact part of outter banks i'm on lol. But I did see the Pine Island Racquet Club on the way in and its only about 7 min from where I'm at so I'm probably gonna be there as much as possible this week.

Topaz
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Atatu, thank you so much for posting that! I'm going to be there in July, and I hate that I'm away from tennis for a week, that will be perfect, and right up the road (the only road) from me.

Mxchickmagnet86
06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
i was just reading over that website again, and I was wondering if you knew if you could just go and pay for the lesson or do you have to pay membership fees and such?

atatu
06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I would call ahead and ask if you could drop in on a clinic or set up a lesson. That's what I did and it was no problem. The clinics seemed like the best value to me and I met some players who were at my level.

Topaz
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
I just called and signed up for two clinics, and a cardio tennis class (which I've been dying to do!). I will report when I get back!

Topaz
04-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm bringing this back up, because I just returned from a second trip to the Outer Banks where I also participated in clinics at the Pine Island Racquet Club. I can not recommend it enough! The head pro, Rick, is great at setting up the clinics and making sure you get what you want. He has added a new pro, Tony, who is also great...very energetic and knowledgeable. I had a blast both times I've traveled down there (I've played about 6 clinics in all), and also been able to keep my game sharp even though I'm on vacation.

dak95_00
06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Is this the place?
http://pineislandrc.com/index.html

It looks like this is the best option? I just want to get out for a hit. I don't spend much on tennis. I buy and sell racquets for profit to cover the costs of this game.

kicker75
06-17-2013, 08:20 AM
I also endorse Pine Island Racquet Club. It's in Duck, NC. Rick Ostlund is the head pro, and is pretty awesome. I've only been at the start of the season, so not sure how crowded PIRC gets during the high season, but when I went (late April), PIRC was not too crowded. I'm pretty sure PIRC does have members and also caters to the Sanderling, but I was neither, and it was fine for me to play, get lessons, etc. for a fee (which was not what I consider expensive, but that's relative) They have outdoor har-tru and indoor plexicushion (or deco turf - not sure)

I did a private lesson with Rick (very knowledgable and also a fun guy), did a group clinic with a very fun crowd, and then one night I just wanted to rent a ball machine and hit (which you can do) but Rick instead hooked me up with one of his pros as a hitting partner, which was much better.

There are other courts scattered around the OBX, but I believe they are meant for the communities, which you may have access to if you are staying in one of them. I know there's courts next to the Food Lion.

dak95_00
06-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I just arrived and am staying just around the corner from the Food Lion so I saw the courts. I've also contacted Pine Island so I'll attend a clinic. I'm cheap but $25 doesn't seem too bad for a 1 1/2 hour clinic. Hopefully, I'll meet someone there to hit with. My relatives say there are more courts north of here too.

dak95_00
07-02-2013, 05:37 AM
I participated in two clinics and met people. I got to play with some 4.0, 4.5, good juniors, and a college D1 player during the clinics. I learned some new practice games which were fun. I'd definitely do it again. It was worth the money.