PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to be immortalized in our memories...

vkartikv
05-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Is it the stats? The # of consecutive matches won or # of titles won? Nah, I dont think so. Will Nadal stay in my memory forever? Perhaps not. He has just gotten a new record to his name and I am sure plenty will follow. But I'd on any day remember a Pat Rafter (just 2 US Opens) or Goran Ivanisevic (his name is tattooed in my brain) for the way they played the game, their flair, their personality. Not a Nadal... So what's your criteria for tennis immortality?

ACE of Hearts
05-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Number of slams and how they played the game, their beauty in their game, like Roger's forehand and serve.

DRtenniS1112
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Is it the stats? The # of consecutive matches won or # of titles won? Nah, I dont think so. Will Nadal stay in my memory forever? Perhaps not. He has just gotten a new record to his name and I am sure plenty will follow. But I'd on any day remember a Pat Rafter (just 2 US Opens) or Goran Ivanisevic (his name is tattooed in my brain) for the way they played the game, their flair, their personality. Not a Nadal... So what's your criteria for tennis immortality?
Are you kidding me. Whether you like him or not you will have Nadal tatooed in your brain forever for the following reasons.

3/4 length pants (like i said whether u like it or not)
Crazy topspin
Record
Roger "GOD" Federer's rival
Fiery attitude
Huge Biceps
and oh yea VAMOS

chiru
05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
i agree with drtenis1112. i have a tough time believing i'll ever forget rafa. goran had so much longevity, although not always the best, he was in the wimbledon final at the earliest in 92 and the latest in 01, and in 94 and 98 in between. i can't forget that. rafter. those sunscreen things under his eyes, not forgetting that either. rafa, its the picking the butt thing, stuff like that you never forget (like it or not)

VGP
05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
....like Agassi's snot rockets?

Ivanišević
05-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Off course people will remember grate players who won many slams.. but u also gonna remember players with great personalities! For example, I know i'm gonna remember baghdatis no matter how many (or none) titles he'll win..

vive le beau jeu !
05-31-2006, 02:03 AM
i'm on the same wavelength !!! :D

arosen
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Rios is hard to forget, he hit some crazy-asss shots in his time, unreal stuff. Safin and his madness. JHH and her chicanery. Sampras and his slam-dunk overheads. John Mac and his "you cannot be serious". Roddick high-fiving the crowd vs. Chela....tennis is awesome.

ezdude1970
05-31-2006, 09:54 AM
For me there are couple of players that I will never forget:

Sampras (because I hated him during his prime for winning every tournament and always beating Agassi and then realizing what a fool I was)
Federer (for being Federer)
Agassi (the best player ever for me, I wish he would have retired after winning Cincy in 2004)
Rios (just the way he carried himself and his game and my fist US Open in 97 him playing chang in the quarters and then watching him in DC in 2001 towards the end of his carrer)
Kafelnikov (first Russian player to achive something on the tour)

Hopefully with the heavy dose of medication and alcohol I will be able to forget players like Nadal, Muster or any other one surface wonders=clay that will come along.

Gilgamesh
05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
For me personally what it takes to be immortalized in my memory are...rivalries.

I will always remember the Sampras/Agassi, Borg/McEnroe, McEnroe/Connors, and etc. showdowns.

I can only hope the Fed/Nadal rivalry will reach to those proportions.