PDA

View Full Version : agassi completed career grand slam at french??

grizzly4life
05-31-2006, 01:57 AM
i could look it up, but more fun this way..

i think they said on telecast that andre closed out his career grand slam in paris..

just seems to me that andre/wimbledon was such a huge unexpected event that that closed it out (i.e. andre would win FO before wimbledon)... BUT...

can someone clarify that andre won wimbledon before F.O?

thanks in advance!!!

slice bh compliment
05-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Dre won Wimbledon in 1992. Unexpectedly. Over Goran Ivanisevic in five sets. It was his first Slam after a few losses in finals to the likes of Andres Gomez, Jim Courier and Pete Sampras.

After winning the a US Open as an unseeded player (94 over Mika Stich) and an Australian Open (95 over Pete Sampras)...his 99 RG title (over Andrei Medvedev) competed his 'career Slam'. Later than year, he lost the Wimbledon final to Pete and won the US Open final over Todd Martin. That was his last Slam title not on Rebound Ace (3 more in Melbourne).

Rasta
05-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Andre's success at Wimbledon is amazing. He sees the ball so well and takes it on the rise from inside the baseline. This would seem to be even harder on the fast grass of Wimbledon where the ball stays so low. Agassi's hand/eye coordination has to be among the best in sports history.

slice bh compliment
05-31-2006, 05:46 AM
His eyes are a genetic event.

Rabbit
05-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Dre won Wimbledon in 1992. Unexpectedly.

Especially when you consider that his preparation was a 45-minute hit on a green hard court in Florida prior to flying to England. That story was in Nick Bollitieri's book My Aces My Faults that I thought was a great insight into Agassi's approach to his career prior to getting really committed.

BabolatFan
05-31-2006, 06:40 AM
i could look it up, but more fun this way..

i think they said on telecast that andre closed out his career grand slam in paris..

just seems to me that andre/wimbledon was such a huge unexpected event that that closed it out (i.e. andre would win FO before wimbledon)... BUT...

can someone clarify that andre won wimbledon before F.O?

thanks in advance!!!
Andre's my all time fav. He was the last top fastcourt player to win the FO in 1999. Eversince then all the usual claycourt suspects have been dominating. If Federer wins it this year, he will be the ultimate classic of tennis. He's fantastic.

grizzly4life
05-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Andre's my all time fav. He was the last top fastcourt player to win the FO in 1999. Eversince then all the usual claycourt suspects have been dominating. If Federer wins it this year, he will be the ultimate classic of tennis. He's fantastic.

i thought andre's game would be suited to clay.... very, very consistent, although i suppose he hits the ball alot flatter than many clay courters.

fastdunn
05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Dre won Wimbledon in 1992. Unexpectedly. Over Goran Ivanisevic in five sets. It was his first Slam after a few losses in finals to the likes of Andres Gomez, Jim Courier and Pete Sampras.

After winning the a US Open as an unseeded player (94 over Mika Stich) and an Australian Open (95 over Pete Sampras)...his 99 RG title (over Andrei Medvedev) competed his 'career Slam'. Later than year, he lost the Wimbledon final to Pete and won the US Open final over Todd Martin. That was his last Slam title not on Rebound Ace (3 more in Melbourne).

What a career defining event it was at 1992 Wimbledon..
If Goran won it, who knows what happened for Sampras and Agassi...

Anyway, Agassi's career slam is truely amazing accomplishment
almost as valuable as 14 slams of Sampras for a professional tennis
players. He did it when tennis on each surface was extrememly polarized.

Today's Wimbledon (with slower grass and bigger balls) actually makes
it much more favorable to baseliners. Agassi often got up to semi-final
or higher in Wimbledon on very fast, low bouncing grass against all those
great serve-and-volleyers of 1990's including Mr. Wimbledon, Sampras...

superman1
05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I wish Agassi worked a bit harder when he was younger. He had huge potential, but refused to fill it. It's amazing that he turned pro in '86 and his best year on tour was 13 years later in 1999 when he won 3 Slams and got to the final of Wimbledon.

travlerajm
05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
I remember McEnroe saying afterward that after he got to the 92 Wimbledon semis, he thought he had a good draw (he was to play Agassi, instead of big servers Sampras or Goran). Most experts considered Agassi the biggest underdog of that final foursome on grass that year.

On the other hand, Agassi was a huge favorite in each of his first 3 slam finals, but he came up short in all 3.

superman1
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
And that pummelling by Agassi was the match that made McEnroe finally decide it was time to retire.

I was reading some press conferences from the early 90's and McEnroe was the only guy that ever stood up for Agassi and made sure that people knew he was incredibly talented, and not just some punk rocker. McEnroe was the only guy that Agassi looked up to. Agassi seemed bitter towards Connors for his personality and his criticism towards the new generation of players, and had some bad feelings towards Becker after he made some comments about how no one respected Andre. Check it out: asapsports.com - overall Andre even in his younger days seemed like a thoughtful, intelligent guy, but he comes off as a jerk in the 1997 interviews.

BaseLineBash
05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
And that pummelling by Agassi was the match that made McEnroe finally decide it was time to retire.

I was reading some press conferences from the early 90's and McEnroe was the only guy that ever stood up for Agassi and made sure that people knew he was incredibly talented, and not just some punk rocker. McEnroe was the only guy that Agassi looked up to. Agassi seemed bitter towards Connors for his personality and his criticism towards the new generation of players, and had some bad feelings towards Becker after he made some comments about how no one respected Andre. Check it out: asapsports.com - overall Andre even in his younger days seemed like a thoughtful, intelligent guy, but he comes off as a jerk in the 1997 interviews.
I've said it many times on this board that one of the reasons Agassi is sticking around, is for that #9. He wants to eclipse Jimmy and for good reason. Jimmy used to say a lot of negative things about Andre, like how he said if Andre ever made it to the hall of fame he woudln't be deserving etc. This is coming from a guy Andre looked up to, I know that Jimmy hit with him when he was very young also.

superman1
05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
I think he already has eclipsed Connors. Agassi has less titles, more Masters titles (than anyone), equal number of Grand Slams but Agassi won all 4, less longevity, less dominance...but people generally consider him better, because he's stayed at the top during a different era of increasing depth and increasing physicality of the game. Plus you just need to watch them. I don't know how Connors would do today, but Agassi's game was the influence for 95% of the players today. Plus he's doing better at an older age than Connors did. US Open final at 35, went 29-5 on hardcourts last year, losing only to Federer and Nadal.