PDA

View Full Version : female players' forehand vs males'

highsierra
05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
A lot of WTA players have the frehand with their upper arm and elbow tucked. Sharapova is a typical example. I also see teenage girls at the local club hit their forehand like that. I think someone mentioned that that's the Bollettierri's way of forehand. On the other hand, a lot of guys at various levels play with their arms extended out more. If you have seen those super slow motion videos of Federer and others, you know exactly what I mean. My question is why there's this difference? What're the pros and cons?

habib
05-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Well, first of all, you are going to have a lot of trouble finding someone who hits with as extended an arm as Federer. If you watch slo-mo video of the majority of male pros, they hit with the arm/elbow tucked in as well. I think that the only difference is that, the men being stronger, they can throw their hips forward harder and still whip the arm around, perhaps giving them a more...elastic swing, rather than such a tightly controlled one?

uNIVERSE mAN
06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
that effect is what allows men to play with wicked topspin while females hit flat strokes. Another factor is the wrist strength.