PDA

View Full Version : Crowd boos Roddick

sureshs
05-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Saw an article that said the crowd booed Roddick and Martin defended Roddick, but when I clicked on it, the article had moved.

Andy Hewitt
05-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes they did because he retired. 1-0 in the third set (I believe down a break).

lucky leprechaun
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
He's apparently injured his ankle on four seperate occasions already in the last few weeks. He must be super man because come grass time I think he'll be perfectly fine.

Bottle Rocket
05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
If anyone had seen the match you would see he is not messing around...

It was obviously a hard decision to retire and the rule of not being able to re-tape his ankle until the end of the set (it was 1-0) attributed to that.

When the crowd started booing at him for his decision, I was disgusted.

Did anyone see the press conference? Roddick is not the type of player who will give up/quit just because he can. Even though he is not playing so great right now, he is a fighter. He wanted to finish the match.

Ripper
05-31-2006, 12:12 PM

Well, he uses French raquets, shirts, shoes, shorts, socks, etc. So, they, probably, think they own him.

Count Grishnackh
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM

It was obviously a hard decision to retire and the rule of not being able to re-tape his ankle until the end of the set (it was 1-0) attributed to that.

Did anyone see the press conference? Roddick is not the type of player who will give up/quit just because he can. Even though he is not playing so great right now, he is a fighter. He wanted to finish the match.

The French crowd boo in their sleep. They are possibly worse than Philadelphia fans in sporting events. I remember reading the other day that they booed their own national world cup soccer squad in Paris a few days ago. That they actually cheered for the other country when they scored goals!! Thierry Henry and Cisse were disgusted with the Parisian crowd, they said that anywhere else in France they would have gotten better support, mainly Strasbourg and St.Etienne they said. So there is something with the Parisian crowd, they're just smug fools that boo anything. They even booed Fed last year, I was shocked.

mileslong
05-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Roddick is not the type of player who will give up/quit just because he can
let me put it this way, if he had been up two sets and a break he wouldnt have quit. just like he did against monfils a few weeks ago. he gets beat and looks for excuses these days. i dont how anyone can root for this guy...

sureshs
05-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, he uses French raquets, shirts, shoes, shorts, socks, etc. So, they, probably, think they own him.

They booed him because he refused to change his name to Roddique.

tennisplayer
05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Roddiculous!

superman1
05-31-2006, 12:45 PM
The boos were uncalled for, but expected from the French.

WayneCM
05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
let me put it this way, if he had been up two sets and a break he wouldnt have quit. just like he did against monfils a few weeks ago. he gets beat and looks for excuses these days. i dont how anyone can root for this guy...
I do... And u know he wouldn't quit cause u r....? R u an advisor, doctor, physio therapist of roddicks...? I don't know if he did but he is desperate to get point so i think he would try anything 2 keep playing...

str33t
05-31-2006, 03:27 PM
me and my dad were watching ... i laughed lol

lucky leprechaun
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Well, the trainer dude who looked at roddick's ankle said it wasn't that bad, and roddick decided to quit anyway. He had to get that one service game in though. I'm pretty sure he would have quit at the end of the second set, had he not been serving first in the third.

migjam
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM

His logic was he was already down, his ankle was hurting and for him to come back at that point would have been a battle, especially on the clay. So, he opted to retire rather than taking a chance to damage it more.

It seem like pros no days, have a tendency to retire when they are down. I also notice that in local tournaments as well. I often wonder if it is a way for them to save face. Rather than saying they got beat by a player they can say that they got injured and had to retire.

Defcon
05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
So its ok for Roddick to retire when he has little chance of winning and a greater chance of hurting himself, but not for Justine to do the exact same thing?

Roddick gets praised for his wise decision and gets sympathy, Justine gets crucified and called a cheater. People will say it was a final vs 1st round, stomach vs ankle etc etc. Thats all just a matter of degree, the principle is the same.

Tim Tennis
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
I think it is smart to retire when you are injured. Why take a chance on ruining your season or even your career.

skip1969
05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
So its ok for Roddick to retire when he has little chance of winning and a greater chance of hurting himself, but not for Justine to do the exact same thing?

Roddick gets praised for his wise decision and gets sympathy, Justine gets crucified and called a cheater. People will say it was a final vs 1st round, stomach vs ankle etc etc. Thats all just a matter of degree, the principle is the same.

i agree. i saw the match. and l accept that he aggravated the ankle. but he SEEMED to be moving okay. and after he retired, he walked off the court, carrying his bag, no assistance, no noticable limp . . .

the mere APPREARANCE of the player not being really, really, really hurt was enough to get hardenne bashed for MONTHS on this board. and if we go by that ridiculuous precedent, then roddick deserves his share of stick, too.

not that i care. i'm glad he's out. less ranting from gilbert and co., hopefully.

superman1
05-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Henin-Hardenne had a tummy ache and was in a Grand Slam final against someone who had never won a Slam before. Roddick was in the first round with a bum ankle that he risked further injuring.

Not even comparable.

sandiegotennisboy
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
poor roddick. even he admitted in an interview that his best was a 3 month run in 2003 that gave him the US open win and the year end #1 ranking. its all over.

chiru
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
seriuosly the JHH roddick comparison is not at all valid, i mean come on. a stomach ache? i've roughed worse in tennis matches. sampras vomitted on court and kept playing. ankles are totally different. if you watched the golovin/sharpova match, you'd know what i mean. you roll one of those babys bad and you're done for a month or more.

Roforot
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Henin-Hardenne was apparently puking her guts out before the match b/c she was sick. In addition to dehydration, she was also suffering from abdominal/muscle cramps. I don't think many people here would be doing much out of bed if they were in her condition, let alone playing tennis.

superman1
05-31-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm sure most people here would continue playing. I'm sure in our lives we've all experienced just as much "pain" as she did. You don't need to be perfectly healthy just to hit a tennis ball. She wouldn't have won, but she would have let Mauresmo win fair and square. But she couldn't stand the idea of the crowd thinking that Mauresmo was the better player.

idj49
05-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Henin-Hardenne was apparently puking her guts out before the match b/c she was sick. In addition to dehydration, she was also suffering from abdominal/muscle cramps. I don't think many people here would be doing much out of bed if they were in her condition, let alone playing tennis.
Henin-Hardenne looked fine during the trophy presentation, if she was so ill and barely making how did she stay out there for that whole display? She didn't even go to the ladies room from what I saw after she retired. She could have finished the match even if she didn't do much but hit balls that came her way. And I love how everyone seems to forget the long rally she lost just prior to retiring. If she was in such misery how did she stay in the point for so long?

ShooterMcMarco
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
yeah, he didn't deserve to get booed. clearly he was hurting before the 2nd set even ended when he went for that overhead.

Eviscerator
05-31-2006, 08:55 PM
The French crowd boo in their sleep. They are possibly worse than Philadelphia fans in sporting events.

Impossible :mrgreen:

AngeloDS
05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
The difference is Roddick doesn't really use it as an excuse to say, "Well I wasn't feeling... so he beat me that way." I remember reading something about how he got injured in a match with Pete Sampras earlier in his career and just grinned his teeth and played through it and at the end never said much about it or something like that. Forgot how it went :p.

bismark
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
.....the mere APPREARANCE of the player not being really, really, really hurt was enough to get hardenne bashed for MONTHS on this board. and if we go by that ridiculuous precedent, then roddick deserves his share of stick, too.
I agree. This board consists of mostly men and teenage males, so women players like Henin, Sharapova or Serena will always get the stick for any perceived 'shortcomings'. Sexist? Maybe. I'm sure Henin got more sympathy out there than in this board. Anyway, don't expect gender 'equality' with threads like "Who is the sexiest/ugliest", "Which player has the hottest girlfriend", "Who has the best legs", etc...etc.

As for the French, they boo at anything and everything that moves.

dh003i
05-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, I can understand the fans booing. After all, they pay good money to watch, don't? I'd say it's a pretty big rip-off for them when a player retires due to injury, or a match is total junk.

If I'd travelled to Paris from somewhere else to watch the French, I'd be mighty ****ed if at the match I watched, a player retired due to an injury that they could've played through.

superman1
05-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Boohoo, they didn't get to see a match. There are plenty of other matches going on all the time. And they're in friggin' Paris - it's not hard to find something to do over there.

Alexandros
05-31-2006, 10:49 PM

1) Grand slam final versus first round of a grand slam.
2) Upset stomache versus injured ankle. It's a great deal more likely that Roddick could cause further injury to his ankle for a longer period of time by playing than there is for Justine to aggravate her injury.
3) Context is everything.
4) Your observations are flawed and stupid.

357sig
05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
I thought the french loved quiters , so whats the problem?

RiosTheGenius
05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
nothing personal against Roddick... people get cheesed off because they paid a ticket, and they wanted to see more... Roddick or anyone who retires gets boooed... specially when you are a featured match.

lucky leprechaun
06-01-2006, 12:10 AM
It's a win win situation, he gets to start daydreaming about grass and I don't have to see him for the next few weeks thank goodness.

RiosTheGenius
06-01-2006, 12:12 AM
It's a win win situation, he gets to start daydreaming about grass and I don't have to see him for the next few weeks thank goodness.
yep, gotta look at the bright side... it works for everyone

FuZz_Da_AcE
06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
wonder what vive le beau jeau has to say on the topic...

Ralf
06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
They're just booing everything and everybody that's not French. Never seen such a silly crowd. If a player just for a second doubts a line call, they're gonna boo him. Idiots.

woody6.1
06-01-2006, 07:17 AM
i'd understand both sides.. one, that he wears so much ankle support that if he injures it, it's gotta be legit.. but on the other hand maybe some of those fans have never seen roddick play in person before, and believed that one gatorade commercial, hoping he'd serve another one straight into the clay like a meteor

Tchocky
06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
I would boo him to. All those guys that had money on Roddick lost. If he would have retired in the 2nd set, then at least those guys would have gotten their money back. Lucky for me, I had money on Martin.

Kaptain Karl
06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I thought the french loved quiters , so whats the problem?Zing!!! Nice one!

- KK

tangerine
06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it is smart to retire when you are injured. Why take a chance on ruining your season or even your career.
Henin-Hardenne had a tummy ache and was in a Grand Slam final against someone who had never won a Slam before. Roddick was in the first round with a bum ankle that he risked further injuring.
Not even comparable.
yeah, he didn't deserve to get booed. clearly he was hurting before the 2nd set even ended when he went for that overhead.
1) Grand slam final versus first round of a grand slam.
2) Upset stomache versus injured ankle. It's a great deal more likely that Roddick could cause further injury to his ankle for a longer period of time by playing than there is for Justine to aggravate her injury.
3) Context is everything.
4) Your observations are flawed and stupid.
Agree with everyone here. Thanks for contributing the only sensible posts in this thread. :cool:

Roddick didn't quit during the Monfils match. He played through the pain and lost in straight sets.

If you're going to troll, at least get your facts straight.

tennis_nerd22
06-01-2006, 05:19 PM
i dont think he deserved to get booed... i mean the fans bought a ticket, tough luck for them that he got injured. they can cut their wrists and be emo for all i care

superman1
06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I would boo him to. All those guys that had money on Roddick lost. If he would have retired in the 2nd set, then at least those guys would have gotten their money back. Lucky for me, I had money on Martin.

You are absolutely, 100% OBSESSED with betting. Some people just go out to enjoy matches.

TechnoJock
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Someone else told me that the trainer couldn't re-tape his ankle. What rule is this??

Max G.
06-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Someone else told me that the trainer couldn't re-tape his ankle. What rule is this??

Apparently, the trainer can't retape the ankle except between sets. Sounds strange to me, Roddick was surprised as well.

pswami
06-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, I can understand the fans booing. After all, they pay good money to watch, don't? I'd say it's a pretty big rip-off for them when a player retires due to injury, or a match is total junk.

If I'd travelled to Paris from somewhere else to watch the French, I'd be mighty ****ed if at the match I watched, a player retired due to an injury that they could've played through.
Are you kidding? It's a sport! It's a risk in any sport for the player to get injured. You don't see people booing football or basketball players who get injured during a game, do you? In any sport with quick, explosive movement, leg and ankle problems become a major worry.

Also, just because it didn't seem bad when he was walking around doesn't mean it wasn't bad when he was running. I didn't see the match, so I have no idea how he looked, but saying that he wasn't limping when he was walking around doesn't mean that he should've played through the injury. And believe me, coming from someone who's had quite a few ankle problems, they hurt more than they look.