PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo - Hitch-Jump 1hbh?

JRstriker12
05-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Did anyone check out Mauresmo's first match?

I've seen players with 2 handed BH do that little hop befroe they hit the ball, but I saw Mauresmo do that little hop with a one hander on the first couple points. What's up with that? Looks like its making that stroke more difficult than needed.

Is there any benefit to that little hop?

Have you seen any other one-handed BH players do that before? I haven't.

oscar_2424
05-31-2006, 11:03 AM
i think it was nice, although she missed

JRstriker12
05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
i think it was nice, although she missed

IIRC she hit a few in a row that landed in before spaying the ball out.

panic
05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
She does it pretty often. Its for high balls to get more power on them

Ripper
05-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Gasquet does something like that, too, at times.

winged_guardian
05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
You may have a pt but you gotta admire her amazing athleticism

dandy2fast
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM

Yes there is, it allows to hit high balls sooner and at a higher point of contact instead of taking the balls later and less high by standing back and waiting for the balls to come down. It can also provide an excellent weight transfer into the shot when it's done properly, but it is hard as hell to master.

splink779
05-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Not as cool as Puerta's leaping forehand. That was a sweet shot.

GRANITECHIEF
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
I do it on the forehand. You can raise up your contact point so you don't have to change your stroke as much, get good angle into the court, and get good power with a airborne counter rotating pivot. I usually only do it on a high short forehand. I've tried it a few times on my one handed backhand but don't quite have the timing/motion down. Also, pretty easy to make an error.

dmastous
05-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes there is, it allows to hit high balls sooner and at a higher point of contact instead of taking the balls later and less high by standing back and waiting for the balls to come down. It can also provide an excellent weight transfer into the shot when it's done properly, but it is hard as hell to master.
It's actually to get a lower point of contact.
It's a common strategy to hit high boucing balls to a onehanded backhand because it's nearly impossible to hit with power if the ball is at or above the head level.
She is jumping up so she can get the point of contact lower, around shoulder level so she can drive through the ball instead of having to slice it, or just hit a heavy topspin return.

sandiegotennisboy
05-31-2006, 06:39 PM

I've seen players with 2 handed BH do that little hop befroe they hit the ball, but I saw Mauresmo do that little hop with a one hander on the first couple points. What's up with that? Looks like its making that stroke more difficult than needed.

i saw it too and i thought it was pretty dope. she made it look easy but its not. doing it with a forehand is easier.

ShcMad
05-31-2006, 06:48 PM

I've seen Olivier Rochus doing it one time, and I've also seen Dickie Gasquet doing it several times. I can't recall why Rochus did it that one time. However, on one occasion, when Gasquet did the jumping backhand, it was because he was in a kinda of an open stance when the ball was coming at him, and therefore he was caught off guard, and had no time for preparation, so he just leaped from a semi-open stance and hit it in the air.
I try this occasionally when I'm fooling around, and I must say it looks cool IF the ball goes in! (that is 1% of the time) :mrgreen:

Mutant Hippo
05-31-2006, 11:27 PM
i hit a 1h bh and the hop is either to help catch the ball at around waist level if it bounced high or early, or on the defensive when you need to get your hips turned into the ball, then recover quickly, like agassi's backhand return hit from an open stance. Fillipousis and robredo both do this regularly, i watched them at the sap open earlier this year.

RiosTheGenius
05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
indeed, it is a common claycourter thing when hitting BHs , but since you ask, well , Gasquet , Gonzalez, Gaudio, Puerta, Mauresmo, Hass, Guga, they all do it when the ball kicks higher than they expected.

dandy2fast
06-01-2006, 06:19 AM
It's actually to get a lower point of contact.

It depend about of what someone means by point of contact, in my post, the point of contact was only the actual height of the ball when it is hitted, but in your post the point of contact is the height of the ball relative to the player's body when the ball is hitted. So we describe the same situation slightly differently and we are indeed both right in our respective ways to do it.

dmastous
06-01-2006, 06:58 AM
It depend about of what someone means by point of contact, in my post, the point of contact was only the actual height of the ball when it is hitted, but in your post the point of contact is the height of the ball relative to the player's body when the ball is hitted. So we describe the same situation slightly differently and we are indeed both right in our respective ways to do it.

That's true. However by your definition the point of contact will be the same whether she jumps or not. ;)
The distinction is the point of contact relative to the body. It's a lot easier to drive the ball when it's around the shoulders vs at or above the head.

dandy2fast
06-01-2006, 07:36 AM
That's true. However by your definition the point of contact will be the same whether she jumps or not. ;)

No, because nothing forces her to take the ball at that particualr height, she can chose to not jump and go backward to take the ball later, or even advance to take the ball sooner>, so then she would still hit the ball in her comfort zone <relative point of contact that you talk about>, but at a different height <so a different point of contact by my definition relative to the height of the ball>.

So perhaps the best way for us to explain the benefit of the jump, is to say that it helps her to take the ball higher <"Higher" corresponding there to my definition of point of contact relative to height of the ball>, but still in her comfort zone <"comfort zone" being there relative to your definition of point of contact relative to the player's body>:cool: