PDA

View Full Version : Federer the badminton player

MaxT
06-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Federer brought his A game last night. So elegant. Majestic!

I couldn't help thinking he was almost playing like a badminton player. The racquet speed, the wrist action, and the way he put the ball anywhere in the court.

I used to be a badminton player. Badminton and tennis have a big difference. Because badminton is lighter, the shuttle speed is much faster, and there is a lot of wrist action, and there is a premium for sudden moves without any back swing. A top player is expected to put the bird anywhere in the court in any position; for example, back facing the net, one can flip the bird from one corner of the court to the opposite corner. These are things you are not supposed to do in tennis, "firm wrist" and all.

I guess when you can play tennis like badminton, with a much heavier ball and racquet, you are playing at the ultimate level?

ksbh
06-01-2006, 06:07 AM
He uses brilliant strategies to construct points. So he must be a chess player as well.

I couldn't help thinking he was almost playing like a badminton player. The racquet speed, the wrist action, and the way he put the ball anywhere in the court.

I used to be a badminton player. Badminton and tennis have a big difference. Because badminton is lighter, the shuttle speed is much faster, and there is a lot of wrist action, and there is a premium for sudden moves without any back swing. A top player is expected to put the bird anywhere in the court in any position; for example, back facing the net, one can flip the bird from one corner of the court to the opposite corner. These are things you are not supposed to do in tennis, "firm wrist" and all.

I guess when you can play tennis like badminton, with a much heavier ball and racquet, you are playing at the ultimate level?

dandy2fast
06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Because badminton is lighter, the shuttle speed is much faster, and there is a lot of wrist action, and there is a premium for sudden moves without any back swing. A top player is expected to put the bird anywhere in the court in any position; for example, back facing the net, one can flip the bird from one corner of the court to the opposite corner. These are things you are not supposed to do in tennis, "firm wrist" and all.

Aren't you able to do that in tennis? Me and my hitting partners are very, very far from Federer's tennis level, but that kind of shot is something that we are all able to execute, Haven't you ever hitted a high crosscourt lob, your back facing the net and you standing at a corner of your backcourt, and saw your ball travelling from one corner of the court to the opposite corner? I see that everyday during club player's tennis matches!;)

fastdunn
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
It's general trend that stroke mechanism of modern tennis
tends to evolve into somwhat similar to racquet ball or ping pong swing.
When Agassi first came out on the scene in late 80's, people
often refer his swings as "like a ping pong swing".

But expert opinions is that you still need a firm wrist.
There's a pronation and supination(rotation of the entire arm or forearm
but not really much of action in actual "wrist" joint).

Federer has a magical hand and touch. But not the smoothest
I've ever seen in terms of athelticism itself. I have seen better
pure ball strikers who hits much cleaner than him.

The beauty of Federer's game is its balance. He is not the fastest
guy nor most smooth and althletic I've ever seen. He does not exactly have
hand of McEnroe. But he is fast and smooth enough, athletic enough
and got some McEnroe's touch, all in one package...
He has the most balanced game between offense and defense I've ever seen.
He has the most varieties I've ever seen maybe except some net game.
He is probably the most complete baseliner I've ever seen.

jings
06-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't know how many of you have been able to hear John Newcombe and Wally Masur commentary this year at RG, but they are fixated almost about Federer's racquet face at moment of impact and his understanding of what is possible in any given shot, the wrist being the critical variable in the moment of impact. I haven't read it but will look for it, Laver wrote a book back in the 70s and his first point almost was about how the wrist was critical in this way (probably more so with wooden racquets). Masur in particular thinks Federer defines this part of shot mechanics, now or ever. It is his ability to use the huge variation afforded by changes in the wrist that give him such variety. Going one stage further this is why, Masur thinks, that Federer has so many different swings at the ball, varying length of backswing and follow thru on both sides, because he's always using this innate understanding of how he's impacting ball and racquet face. He uses Federer's ability to hit half volleys off the baseline from "under his feet" seemingly anywhere as the most obvious example of what he can do versus other players. Very interesting theme if you get a chance to listen to it and quite extraordianry to have former players drooling so completely over the skills of another player.