PDA

View Full Version : Roddick may hire Connors as coach

sureshs
06-01-2006, 07:05 AM
From the UK Telegraph:
---------------------------

Andy Roddick, a first-round loser, is considering an approach to Jimmy Connors to coach him on a part-time basis. It is understood that Roddick, a former world No 1 and US Open champion, would not require Connors to travel with him to every tournament on his schedule, but would like a working relationship similar to that between Federer and his coach, Australian Tony Roche, with face-to-face contact only at key times of the year, such as before the grand slam events.

Connors, one of the great names of the sport, could become Roddick's fifth coach in three years. In that time Roddick has worked with Tarik Benhabiles, Brad Gilbert and Dean Goldfine, and is currently accompanied on the tour by his older brother, John.

Connors is apparently already aware of Roddick's interest in him, and may be willing to mull over a future working arrangement. Connors has indicated that he might like to work with the younger generation, and two years ago he publicly flirted with the possibility of working as a coaching consultant for the Lawn Tennis Association.

After winning his first grand slam title at the US Open in 2003, Roddick was spoken of as someone who might go on to win several more, but that has not happened, and not just because of the greatness of Federer. Though Roddick has a gargantuan serve and a huge forehand, the technical weaknesses in his backhand and his inability to stay in rallies have since been exposed, and his confidence has duly suffered.

Working with Connors, a player who was known for his fighting qualities, could put life back into Roddick's tennis. Roddick left the French Open after retiring from his opening match against Spaniard Alberto Martin with a damaged ankle, and there is every chance he could be in contact with Connors before the grass-court season starts at Queen's Club a week on Monday.

The Pusher Terminator
06-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Connors would make an awesome coach! The poblem is that he is completely selfish...I do not think that he would ever do it. Roddick needs to eat some crow and approach Gilber. Andy made a mistake and he needs to admit it.

sureshs
06-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Connors was never known for his outgoing nature, was he? But then he won't be with Andy all the time.

!Tym
06-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Connors was never known for his outgoing nature, was he?

...WHEN it suited him. That was always Connors game. One day he's playing Miss Sunshine and Miss Congeniality in a beauty pageant, the next he's like Bunnicula, the childish bunny that's actually a vampire, either that or the prince of darkness.

That would be interesting. If Connors is considering this Roddick flirtation thingy, it suggests to me that he senses an opportunity to add to his legacy before time runs out. And if you think about it, Roddick has a lot of what Connors respects in a player, i.e. he greatly respected Chang because he played balls to the walls with guts and determination, Roddick is that way, though not quite as mentally bull doggish as Chang. Roddick also has a weak two-hander, and, of course, Connors one of the greatest of all time, his signature shot by far. Roddick is a baseliner who likes to dictate, yet he stands too far back and gets in trouble sometimes this way because he's not as athletic as some others like Nadal. Connors wasn't the best pure athlete either, but he took the ball on the rise like nobodies business and new how to crowd you and use the court geometry to his advantage. Roddick's bread and butter will always be from the baseline, but that does not mean you can't learn to be an effective and more importantly a SAVY and opportunistic volleyer. Connors was one of the greatest ever baseliners who knew how to sense the exact right moment to sneak into the net and knock off the EASY volley. He was like an insect with his whiskers always up, always sensing, always sniffing out, the right moment to dart to the net capture the flag style. Even in old age and despite being nowhere near as lengthy as Roddick, he had that knack for coming in at exactly the right time. Roddick's a poor returner, Connors pound for pound arguably the greatest of all time. The name of the game? SIMPLIFIED technique on the return, use the court angles/geometry for you, rather than against you. We shall see. Should be interesting should it happen, and something tells me it will. The egos are too big here on both sides for them not to kind of mutually "want it," even if it's just a short fling, nothing more than a temptation, which I think it will be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they got in some exlosive argument at some point, and Connors suddenly whips out the ol' golf club. Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if they hit it up and became best friends in the beer chugging sort of way.

sureshs
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
How current though is Connors with the modern game? Courier is still playing the senior tour on the other hand.

bribeiro
06-01-2006, 08:20 AM
From the UK Telegraph:
---------------------------

After winning his first grand slam title at the US Open in 2003, Roddick was spoken of as someone who might go on to win several more, but that has not happened, and not just because of the greatness of Federer. Though Roddick has a gargantuan serve and a huge forehand, the technical weaknesses in his backhand and his inability to stay in rallies have since been exposed, and his confidence has duly suffered.

LMAO, that is so fake

eric draven
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I just don't think it would work. What does Connors bring to the table that would actually benefit Roddick? Connors biggest weapon was his aggressive consistency and mental attitude. Neither of which is an easily coachable trait. Connors was never a great cheerleader either, look at his Davis Cup career. So then what? Technique? Connors was once asked in his prime to explain the techical aspects of his backhand and you know what? He couldn't do it!!! It was such an instinctive shot that he did it on feel. Besides his strokes were rather stiff and flat. Not the ideal technique in todays game even if he could teach it. Okay then, strategy right? Well, then why not have stayed with Gilbert? He's more up to speed on today's game than Connors.

If Roddick's hoping to have some of the talent rub off on him by having conversations at key points I think he's better served employing someone like Courier or rehiring Gilbert.

sureshs
06-01-2006, 08:27 AM
I think he's better served employing someone like Courier or rehiring Gilbert.

Exactly!

Even Todd Martin, though his S&V style is opposite. But then hey his elder brother is his coach now and that elder brother is no JMac.

breakfast_of_champions
06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
push-
connors totally selfish? lol. did u read this in people magazine. connors gave his heart and sole to tennis and his fans, then also got the seniors tour off the ground. so borg could get a few paychecks. also was devoted to his family, and is still married to his first wife.

connors/roddick could be an interesting marriage. roddick needs connors heart and concentration. connors was great at moving forward off his groundstrokes and taking the ball early. things roddick needs to do. not sure roddick could handle someone as intense as connors as a coach though.

Kaptain Karl
06-01-2006, 09:26 AM
During his Martin match, I was surprised to see Andy playing so much closer in on the baseline than I've ever noticed. This was especially notable as I would have tended to "cut him some slack" on staying way back ... at the French. I'm guessing John really IS working with him on changing his game.

- KK

Kaptain Karl
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
If Roddick is seriously looking for a Coach to take him back to the top, he should steal Lundgren from Safin ... or beg Lansdorp for help.

Gilbert? No way. The guy cannot shut-up.

- KK

urban
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Tym is right, Connors could make a good coach, had a deep tactical understanding of the game, which was taught to him by Pancho Segura and to a lesser degree Pancho Gonzales. He could teach Roddick, not to stand so far behind the baseline, more to step into the court and to take the the ball earlier on the rise. Connors wasn't a great volleyer, but knew when to come in, and how to put pressure on the passing shot.

Dan007
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
If Roddick is seriously looking for a Coach to take him back to the top, he should steal Lundgren from Safin ... or beg Lansdorp for help.

- KK

If I was Andy, I would still get Gilbert to be my coach, even if the gut does not shut up.

Progressive10s
06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Jim Connors had a tenacity on the court whenever and wherever he played. I first saw him on grass at the Longwood Cricket Club outside of Boston in the former U.S. Amateur Tournament that preceeded Forest Hills. Connors (16 at the time) had the collegiate champion on the ropes and took him to five sets. He hit with such ferocity as a kid with his Wilson T2000. If anything, Connors was always motivated and really brought the action to his opponent--he never played scared!

brucie
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Conners loves Roddick when he commentates at wimbledon he always talks about Roddicks character, and how he likes the emotion he shows!

Always seems biased in fed matched to roddick, remember him in tie break in 2nd set 2005 telling everyone how "its a tie breaker" and hes "still in it"

Guevin
06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
How current though is Connors with the modern game? Courier is still playing the senior tour on the other hand.

Excellent point. IMO their styles are similar enough that I think Courier could really help him.

Moose Malloy
06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
PARIS -- I nearly choked on my morning croissant when I saw this one in The Daily Telegraph of London.

In a story predominantly about Tim Henman's rained out mess of a match against Dmitry Tursunov, the reporter suddenly dropped in this line, out of nowhere:

"Andy Roddick, a first-round loser, is considering an approach to Jimmy Connors to coach him on a part-time basis. It is understood that Roddick, a former world No. 1 and U.S. Open champion, would not require Connors to travel with him. . ." And blah, blah, blah.

I thought, "Huh?" What's Connors, who has been almost completely out of touch with the men's tour for years, going to teach him. And then I considered, "I guess anything's possible."

When I got to the grounds Thursday I looked up Roddick's Miami agent, Ken Meyerson. Meyerson had already heard about the story and he wasn't certain if should laugh it off and hit the damage control button. Actually, there was no damage. It was one of those stories you throw at the wall to see how long it will take to slide to the floor.

"There is nothing to it. Absolutely nothing," said Meyerson, who is closer to Roddick than Andy's iPod. "But hey, I love Jimmy. If he called me (he hasn't) and said he wanted to help Andy, I'd tell him to call Andy (he also hasn't)."

I feel fairly certain that brother John is not going to be a long-term coach for Andy. It's a good hook-up now because they're close and they have fun together, even when Andy embarrasses his big brother by telling everyone how he wears shirts that have food stains. ("Andy thought that was funnier than I did," John says.)

But John has a successful junior academy in San Antonio and I think at some point he's going to want to get back to that. The Roddick camp has had conversations (not negotiations, conversations) about two coaches who are currently employed but who would be on Roddick's short list if they became available.

One is Paul Annacone, the ex-Pete Sampras coach now with Henman, who might retire at the end of the season. The other is Darren Cahill, who coaches the currently inert Andre Agassi. Agassi and Roddick are extremely good friends and there is no doubt that would be an excellent connection. But not until Andre calls it quits.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_tennis/

Jonnyf
06-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Hmm, perhaps a good choice connors can teach him several things like taking the ball earlier

prostaff18
06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
He needs to get Brad back!! Brad was the coach that at least kept him almost in the same game as Fed. But now I dought that Andy could even come close to breaking Fed's serve. Andy needs to go back to what got him to number one; big serve and big forehand. If you serve a ball 140 it shouldn't matter what the other guy dose you should be set up with a pretty good shot.

superman1
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
He'd fire Connors in months. They'd have a big argument and that would be it.

Brad Gilbert is the man, otherwise go with someone that cares about human beings a little more than Connors. If Johnny Mac was available, he'd be ideal, but obviously he is not available to anyone.

Wondertoy
06-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Why does everyone think Gilbert is a good coach? He's forever selling himself that way however he was the one that wanted Andy to return serve from a deep position abd wail on it! He wanted Andy to be a net rusher and attacker but it's too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Andy should play his A game and fortify his BH. Connors would be great for him. Gilbert is opinionated garbage. Why do you think Agassi fired him after knowing his schitck?

couch
06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
LMAO, that is so fake

Uh, what?

couch
06-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Exactly!

Even Todd Martin, though his S&V style is opposite. But then hey his elder brother is his coach now and that elder brother is no JMac.

Totally agree with the Courier comment. They have/had very similar games. Roddicks serve is better but Courier's and Roddick's strengths are their forehands and weaknesses were there backhands. Maybe Courier would teach him to run around his backhand again and maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. If your backhand is a weakness then try not to hit it "all" the time. I bet Roddick used to hit 65-75% forehands back during his U.S. Open run and now its probably the opposite.

Alexandros
06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Why do so many people think that the solution to Roddick's problems is to stand on top of the baseline and hit the ball on the rise? With his grip and massive wind up, this is completely impossible to do without making massive changes to his technique. And no pro at his age will be willing to or can feasibly restructure their entire stroke production.

superman1
06-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't think he should stand at the baseline at all. But he should stand at least a little closer and learn to shorten his wind-up a bit. His priorities should be improving his backhand (there's no excuse for a top 5 player having a wimpy backhand), practicing serve and volley, and learning to play a little smarter. Mix things up a little, target the opponent's weakness, etc. A good coach could help him with all of that, and I don't think his brother is right. His brother always seems happy about his progress. I like the Jim Courier idea.

samster
06-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Andy Roddick needs to hire Johnny Mac if he wants to win Wimbledon. Didn't Johnny Mac "coach" Agassi in 1992 when Agassi won Wimbledon? Wait...can Andy Roddick beat Johnny Mac on grass at this time? Johnny Mac would probably pose more threat to Roger on grass than the other top 20 players right now.

lucky leprechaun
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
He needs to hire a coach who will fulfill his ego. We all know he played his best when everyone thought he was the coolest thing since the light bulb. He feeds off that. I didn't know connors was so infatuated with roddick, I suppose he'd be just the ticket.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-01-2006, 08:33 PM
All roddick needs to do is put more top spin on the backhand side and less on the forehand side. nuff said.

splink779
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
He's just not taking advantage of his opportunities on his forehand side like he used to. Playing safe will not work for him. He stands too far back and isn't exactly a counterpuncher, so how is playing it safe going to work? He should be the ultimate attacking player. Use the netplay of 04-05 combined with the raw power of 03.

What I don't understand (and no one here does either) is what is going on in Roddicks head. He must know that he is doing something wrong, is it really that he has no idea of what to do, and that 2 coaches are also clueless? He's not even trying anything new.

superman1
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen much of him, but from what I have seen he is hitting the ball as well as he ever has. Some bad luck with injuries, some confidence problems, some bad luck with matches earlier in the year (he should have won that match against Murray). Add clay courts to that mix and it's a recipe for disaster. He'll be just fine for the rest of the year.

EliteNinja
06-02-2006, 01:13 AM
When Agassi retires, he should coach Roddick lol.

Gugafan_Redux
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Killer Cahill or Annicone would be a better choice. Proven tracks records.

Kaptain Karl
06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
He's not even trying anything new.I guess you don't consider playing 4-6 feet behind the baseline (rather than 10-15) "new". I thought that was quite new -- especially at the French.

- KK

themyth
06-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Does Andy forget who was his coach when he went from a young player with potential to Grand Slam champ and #1 in the world? Gilbert wants Andy to work on his game,his fitness, his movement and since dropping Gilbert Roddick has surrounded himself with people who won't demand so much from him. There is a reason Roger is #1. Getting ready for the AO there were reports of three-a-day workouts and for the French Roger has played a complete and REAL clay court season. He didn't play a tournament in Houston that is won by Mardy Fish and call it preparation. If Roddick had that kind of work ethic, I would believe in him.

SB
06-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Why does everyone think Gilbert is a good coach? He's forever selling himself that way however he was the one that wanted Andy to return serve from a deep position abd wail on it! He wanted Andy to be a net rusher and attacker but it's too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Andy should play his A game and fortify his BH. ...

I totally agree. I think Roddick was already on the way down, relatively speaking, when he parted ways with Gilbert. His results had stagnated, but no one really noticed until he fired Gilbert, and then it had gone on so long (8 months or so?) that it became obvious, as if it happened all at once.

For a while, the only person beating Roddick was Federer, so in an attempt to beat Federer, they retooled Roddick's game. Unfortunately, it screwed up the game that he'd been using to beat everyone else.

In hindsight, it was a mistake, but of course they had to try SOMEthing.

splink779
06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I guess you don't consider playing 4-6 feet behind the baseline (rather than 10-15) "new". I thought that was quite new -- especially at the French.

- KK

He was still 10 feet behind in Rome. Playing 4 feet behind the baseline in one clay match after 2 years is too little too late. He does not play close to the baseline (especially on clay) consistently.

The Pusher Terminator
06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
push-
connors totally selfish? lol. did u read this in people magazine. connors gave his heart and sole to tennis and his fans, then also got the seniors tour off the ground. so borg could get a few paychecks. also was devoted to his family, and is still married to his first wife.

Connors was known on the tour as being a narcissistic money hungry person. All he ever cared about was money. He almost never played Davis cup because their was no money in it for him. When all of the players went on strike for players rights....take a wild guess who crossed the picket line? Your friend and mine....Jimmy Connors.

John Mcenroe also descibes Connors as selfish in "you cannot be serious". Bill scanlon in "bad news for Mcenroe" says the same about Connors. I only read part of "how Jimmy Connors saved my life" (completely boring book)...but Drucker describes Jimmy as a very selfish and narcissistic fellow. I do not know how the book ends however.

According to John Mcenroe, Jimmy did get the senior tour off the ground for MONEY!!! When the senior tour began to fail...take a wild guess who jumped ship? Do you ever see Jimmy play anymore? of course not...no money!

nn
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Does Andy forget who was his coach when he went from a young player with potential to Grand Slam champ and #1 in the world? Gilbert wants Andy to work on his game,his fitness, his movement and since dropping Gilbert Roddick has surrounded himself with people who won't demand so much from him. There is a reason Roger is #1. Getting ready for the AO there were reports of three-a-day workouts and for the French Roger has played a complete and REAL clay court season. He didn't play a tournament in Houston that is won by Mardy Fish and call it preparation. If Roddick had that kind of work ethic, I would believe in him.

100% agree with you..houton is junk event on crap clay courts.. I think Andy doesn't want to put himself on line against top 5 and tough conditions..mama I will always want to stay in TX and play in USA since I don't like to leave you...such a baby

sureshs
06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
100% agree with you..houton is junk event on crap clay courts.. I think Andy doesn't want to put himself on line against top 5 and tough conditions..mama I will always want to stay in TX and play in USA since I don't like to leave you...such a baby

He played the World Team Cup in Hamburg where he twisted his ankle.

BreakPoint
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Andy Roddick needs to hire Johnny Mac if he wants to win Wimbledon. Didn't Johnny Mac "coach" Agassi in 1992 when Agassi won Wimbledon? Wait...can Andy Roddick beat Johnny Mac on grass at this time? Johnny Mac would probably pose more threat to Roger on grass than the other top 20 players right now.

Yeah, maybe Johnny Mac "coached" Agassi by allowing Agassi to beat him in the semifinals so that Agassi could go on and win the Wimbledon final in 1992. ;) LOL

raftermania
06-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Has anybody seen Connors instructional tapes; the ones shot at the old Indian Wells site and sponsored by Volvo? I'll never forget Connors sitting in front of the camera telling me:

Keep on practicing, until you're the best

Only to look away from the camera and smile in disbelief. I guess they didn't have video editing machines back then?

HyperHorse
06-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Has anybody seen Connors instructional tapes; the ones shot at the old Indian Wells site and sponsored by Volvo? I'll never forget Connors sitting in front of the camera telling me:

Keep on practicing, until you're the best

Only to look away from the camera and smile in disbelief. I guess they didn't have video editing machines back then?

LOL... can someone upload this on YouTube or something??

superman1
06-07-2006, 02:40 AM
McEnroe became something of a coach/mentor to Agassi after the '92 Wimbledon. I think Mac was the only guy that believed in Agassi's talent. And Andre definitely did not like Connors, I don't think many people did, other than the crowds.

artworks
06-07-2006, 03:35 AM
Andy Roddick can hire Uncle Toni after the clay season in order to have a chance against Roger at Wimbledon.

dannyjjang
06-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I say Roddick should quit....

HyperHorse
06-07-2006, 06:27 AM

as great and amusing as that would be...
that would be such a perfect fit for the both of them....
either Agassi or Jim Courier..

Kaptain Karl
06-07-2006, 08:37 AM
I say Roddick should quit....Funny! If I could only make the DRAW of any ATP events, I'd keep fighting to play (and to be able to say "I make a living playing competitive tennis.") I'd play until body parts were falling off of me...!

- KK

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
nooooooooo Andy don't hire him hes a jerk as a person. He's my least favorite tennis player of all time.Gilbert is the only one that will help him win a grand slam again.

breakfast_of_champions
06-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Connors was known on the tour as being a narcissistic money hungry person. All he ever cared about was money. He almost never played Davis cup because their was no money in it for him. When all of the players went on strike for players rights....take a wild guess who crossed the picket line? Your friend and mine....Jimmy Connors.

John Mcenroe also descibes Connors as selfish in "you cannot be serious". Bill scanlon in "bad news for Mcenroe" says the same about Connors. I only read part of "how Jimmy Connors saved my life" (completely boring book)...but Drucker describes Jimmy as a very selfish and narcissistic fellow. I do not know how the book ends however.

According to John Mcenroe, Jimmy did get the senior tour off the ground for MONEY!!! When the senior tour began to fail...take a wild guess who jumped ship? Do you ever see Jimmy play anymore? of course not...no money!

lol. john mcenroe accusing someone of being selfish, especially his archrival.lol. mac also had many choice words about lendl, too. lol. theres probably a dozen books out there saying just opposite. dont believe everything you read. connors never played davis cup because he was in a constant feud with the tennis establishment over his french open banning. connors also skipped the year end championships many times for the same reason. gee, i think johnny mac tried tried to make a few bucks during his career as well. nothing wrong with that. in connors day first prize was often as little as $35,000. connors played with his heart, and is a devoted family man, and thats how he should be just judged, especially if you've never even met him. while mcenroe is a bufoon, on and off the court. connors was definitely an individualist like many tenniis players.

sandiegotennisboy
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
roddick needs to hire a sports psychologist over anyone else. he can save a lot of money too if he just reads the threads here. everyone pretty much says the same thing. he is mental. he plays like a spaniard. he let up on his big serve. he doesnt control the middle of the court. his forehand lost its sting. he cant volley. blah blah blah.

Matthew
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Roddick needs to stop searching for answers outside of himself. Coaches only go so far, and they aren't the ones on the court when the rest of the world is watching.

djedi
06-08-2006, 12:17 AM
That's what I thought too, I mean Agassi been here a long time, they both had the same coach and Andre could re-shape Roddick 2 HBH because I think Andre has the best 2HBH :)

equinox
06-08-2006, 01:08 AM

- KK

Lundgren + mandy moore combination could propel andy back up the ranking.

I'd still prefer brad as coach/motormouth.

BabolatFan
06-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah I guess it's official then according to ESPN news. Andy hired Connors as his new coach and mentor. This is very interesting.

sureshs
06-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah I guess it's official then according to ESPN news. Andy hired Connors as his new coach and mentor. This is very interesting.

When did that happen? Do you have the link?

BabolatFan
06-09-2006, 07:58 AM
When did that happen? Do you have the link?
I think they will show the announcement on Hotlist espn at 12pm. I just saw the headlines. It says Andy hired Jimmy Connors...

sureshs
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
I think they will show the announcement on Hotlist espn at 12pm. I just saw the headlines. It says Andy hired Jimmy Connors...

here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/news/story?id=2476451

sureshs
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Another link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-2217764,00.html

Moose Malloy
06-09-2006, 08:39 AM

Holy S! This is so cool. I guess Roddick's agent just lied to Charlie Bricker's face when asked about Connors.

raftermania
06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
I remember in an ESPN Hotseat segment, Roddick was asked "McEnroe or Connors?" He said, "Well I don't know Connors, so McEnroe". Further, he was asked "World #1 or Rockstar?" Roddick said, "Well since I've been #1 already, I wouldn't mind dabbling a bit as a rockstar."

Kaptain Karl
06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
This coming hard courts season will be interesting....

- KK

sureshs
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
What exactly do you think Connors will tweak in Roddick's game (not talking about the mental game here)?

Kaptain Karl
06-09-2006, 09:51 AM
What exactly do you think Connors will tweak in Roddick's game (not talking about the mental game here)?One thing I remember about Jimbo ... he knew the *right* time to approach the net. I'm thinking he'll help Andy's transition game the most. (Cuz Andy approaches like a knucklehead sometimes ... and *doesn't* when it's obvious he should.)

[Man! I'm really good ... from my keyboard ... huh?]

- KK

breakfast_of_champions
06-09-2006, 10:13 AM
connors will be in andy's head bigtime, and also have andy coming to net off the groundies.

raftermania
06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Hopefully we'll see the resurgence of the Connor's 2HBH.

Kobble
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Probably help that backhand, the return, and approach shots. Basically, everything people trash Roddick for.