PDA

View Full Version : Sam Querrey turns pro

atatu
06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Check it out: http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/news/article/0,1375,VCS_121_4739249,00.html

He isn't going to USC after all.

norcal
06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not suprised. I'm not sure how much he would gain from playing college ball other than kicking everyone's ***. I think he'll do well at the Futures and Challenger level. Good luck Sam.

MaxT
06-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I can see being 6'6 in junior tennis is advantage. Against adults it could be a shortcoming. Better be 6'1, records show.

verdasco67
06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
he's got the game...im sure he will do well in the near future

ACE of Hearts
06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Whats his height now?I think tall players have a big disadvantage unless u have athletic ability like Safin although he hasnt shown it lately:rolleyes:

MaxT
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
6'6 and 140 MPH, and he may grow a bit.

The article says. Isn't it too tall?

norcal
06-01-2006, 02:29 PM
6'6 and 140 MPH, and he may grow a bit.

The article says. Isn't it too tall?Too tall for what? To be #1? To be #20? To be a solid pro? To play on the ATP?

Maybe too tall to be #1 but it wouldn't suprise me to one day see a 6'6" guy reach #1.

J-man
06-01-2006, 02:50 PM
I think it is just a matter of time before he makes a big run at a major event now.

Jonas
06-01-2006, 02:54 PM
I wish Sam all the luck in the world, but I think this is a bad decision.
He has a big game, but the most important thing in men's tennis these days is movement and his movement is VERY suspect.
I watched him play a few futures matches earlier this year and he doesn't even move well for a guy his size, much less a smaller guy.
Again, I hope he improves his movement and does great, but it's going to be very tough for him.

J-man
06-01-2006, 06:29 PM
But with pounding storkes he might not need to move much. Though the way you described him he won't do good on clay unless his movement improves

superman1
06-01-2006, 07:05 PM
There's not a single player on the ATP who can get anywhere near the top without moving well.

Bogie
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
he proved that he can definitely compete at the top when taking on blake this year and giving him a serious scare. the kid has got game, all he needs to do now is show that kind of playing consistently and we might have a future american hopeful instead of that garbage donald young

ta11geese3
06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Good. UCLA won't have to play against him now XD

35ft6
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
He should get Todd Martin to coach him.

LN_Dad
06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
He should hire a track coach to help him with his speed and quickness on the court. He needs to be a lot quicker to crack the ATP 100s.

vhx123
06-02-2006, 03:18 AM
good choice. no point in wasting his time at USC of all places

ta11geese3
06-02-2006, 03:20 AM
good choice. no point in wasting his time at USC of all places

well said.

35ft6
06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
There are some slow guys in the top 100. Karlovic and Dent for two. He may never be top 10 but he's already showed quite a bit of promise.

GRANITECHIEF
06-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Great decision, has the chance to be pro now. If it doesn't work out or even if it does he can always go to college after. Being part of a college team would be great, but now he'll be part of the American team of pros, traveling and hanging with them. And he'll probably be part of the Davis Cup Team as well, after already having been a practice partner.

Being immersed at the pro level will be a good catalyst for him to improve and we've already seen that he doesn't have all that far to go. Of course he's not going to be clay court speed demon, but look out for him at the fast indoor, hard and grass venues. And i'd bet that he'd be a hell of a dubs partner too. I'll bet he breaks the top 100 in 2 years. GO SAM!!!!

Rob_C
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not suprised. I'm not sure how much he would gain from playing college ball other than kicking everyone's ***. I think he'll do well at the Futures and Challenger level. Good luck Sam.

He's already doing well at the tour level.

norcal
06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
He's already doing well at the tour level. Depends how you define well. He has won one match and has been competitive in the others. So he's what, 1-5 or 1-6 or something like that? That is well compared to DY's 0-9 (and not even competitive) record, but I don't consider that doing well on the tour level.

I meant he would do well in the futures and challengers meaning he would have a chance to go deep in the draw. He's not going to go deep in an ATP draw at this point.

Not a knock just an honest observation. Let him develop in the minors for a while.

atatu
06-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Let's just say he's going to have a better career than Gimelstop or Gambill,which isn't too bad.....

vhx123
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM
lets hope he doesn't pull a robert yim

Rob_C
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Depends how you define well. He has won one match and has been competitive in the others. So he's what, 1-5 or 1-6 or something like that? That is well compared to DY's 0-9 (and not even competitive) record, but I don't consider that doing well on the tour level.

I meant he would do well in the futures and challengers meaning he would have a chance to go deep in the draw. He's not going to go deep in an ATP draw at this point.

Not a knock just an honest observation. Let him develop in the minors for a while.

He's already made a few qtrs in challengers I believe. I'm going off memory here though, I thought he had more than one tour level win. If he doesnt, my mistake. I'll go check his record to make sure.

one sec.......

Ok, he has 1 qtrs in challengers, 2 2nd rds, a few 3 set 1st rd losses. He also has 1 finals & 1 qtrs at the Futures level. He also has a bunch of 1st losses at the Futures level, thats kinda surprising to me.

Also, all of his losses at the tour level have been in 3 sets.

Max G.
06-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Let's just say he's going to have a better career than Gimelstop or Gambill,which isn't too bad.....

What makes you so sure?

...Jan-Michael Gambill has been as high as #14 in the world, has won 3 singles titles and 5 doubles titles, and has been to a couple more finals including a Masters Series final.

Gimelstob has never won a singles tournament (at the ATP level), has a career-best ranking of #63, and has won 13 doubles titles.

Are you sure that he'll do as well or better than either of those? Or are you guaranteeing that he gets into the top 15 in singles, or wins double-digit numbers of doubles tournaments?

dukemunson
06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Sam has a nice game but has no chance of ever matching gambill's 14 in the world or Gimelstob's doubles titles...Even with the constant wild cards i'd put his ceiling at 150 in the world...not ripping the guy as 150 is great, but thers just no chance of him cracking the top 100

Volly master
06-02-2006, 03:26 PM
he almost beat blake in indain wells, thats good in my book

dukemunson
06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
The guy is really good, make that really really good...but taking a set off Blake, while quite impressive is a far cry from beating Blake or for that matter consistently winning challengers and matches in ATP events, requisites for making the top 100. Love his serve but you must understand the guys in the top 100 are a completely different level.

35ft6
06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Sam has a nice game but has no chance of ever matching gambill's 14 in the world or Gimelstob's doubles titles...Even with the constant wild cards i'd put his ceiling at 150 in the world...not ripping the guy as 150 is great, but thers just no chance of him cracking the top 100 He'll crack top 100 relatively quickly. He played Spadea and Blake close. That's a lot of promise for a 17 year old (wasn't that how old he was at the time?). Don't know who the last American junior was that could hang with such solid pros at a young age. Chang? Agassi? I think the way people determine "promise" is skewed by guys like Nadal and Hewitt. His potential is a step down from theirs, but top 50 potential nonetheless.

dukemunson
06-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I hope your right as it would be great to see a SoCal kid make it...I just don't see it though. He strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to have some "up" wins and play some top guys tight but without any consistency. Top 50 takes something amazing like Ginepris fitness or Dent's volley's and while big Sam's serve is a bit inconsistent. Again hate to get on the guy but watching him lose in a mens Open final (ojai) and struggle with some players who are at best "has-beens" doesn't equate success to me. Anybody in the top 300 can take a set from a guy in the top 30 on a great day, but that's a far cry from making it their. Can you genuinely say he is that much better than Bogomolov, Reynolds, Ram, Delic or Warburg (just to name a few) who are never going to crack the top 50 let alone top 100? Again I hope he makes it but to make he's going to need to raise his game several levels and do it failry quickly while he still has the aid of all those USTA wildcards into Challengers and ATP events.