PDA

View Full Version : Moya's strokes

Double G
06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I think Carlos's strokes are very pretty but too fancy. He looks like the game's biggest choker.

Is his strokes okay or what about them strokes

splink779
06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Forehand is almost technically perfect for his type of swing (in my opinion). So fluid and effective. His backhand is not pretty and is a glaring liability, as bad if not worse than Roddick's backhand. I think it is worse, because if he breaks down on that side (which he often does) he has trouble keeping the ball in the court. Roddick can at least rally.

LowProfile
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
He uses a featherweight racquet (11.4 oz or so) and thus can generate immense racquet head speed. His western grip forehand is extremely heavy and powerful. His backhand, while not as nice looking as his forehand, can be placed relatively well with decent spin. I would say that it is better than Roddick's backhand, but not by much.

splink779
06-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought his racquet was light but SUPER head heavy?

Alexandros
06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
As splink pointed out, when Roddick loses confidence on his backhand he can at least keep it in play, though it becomes a weak shot that barely lands midcourt and he almost never makes it down the line. Moya's backhand typically falls apart in a more spectacular fashion, he ends up spraying balls all over the place.

couch
06-01-2006, 06:30 PM
That's Roddick's problem; he's hitting too many backhands these days. I think he hears everyone telling him how bad his backhand is so now he is trying to improve it (which is great) but he needs to hit his %@#&*^ forehand more. But that's another thread altogether.

Hewitt rulez
06-01-2006, 09:14 PM
The 2003 Roddick hit his forehand a lot more and hit hit it harder. He would stand in his backhand corner and hit inside out forehands all day.

RiosTheGenius
06-01-2006, 09:20 PM
as I recently said in a different thread.. I have been trying to copy Moya's forehand for years... in my opinion is technically speaking the best and more reliable forehand out there right now

lucky leprechaun
06-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought his racquet was light but SUPER head heavy?

Moya must be the strongest guy on tour to be able to wield that thing, taking a relatively head weighted racquet and stuffing lead tape under the headguard. It's probably why his forehand looks so good, once you start it it basically swings itself.

arosen
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Moya's forehand is his weapon, when it's on he wins matches, simple as that. His backhand is OK, and after playing with the same stick I suspect it is lame because of the racquet. Same with Roddick. That particular kind of Babolat ain't easy to use on a 2hbh.

RiosTheGenius
06-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Moya's forehand is his weapon, when it's on he wins matches, simple as that. His backhand is OK, and after playing with the same stick I suspect it is lame because of the racquet. Same with Roddick. That particular kind of Babolat ain't easy to use on a 2hbh.
the funny thing is that Kim Clijsters have no issues hitting BHs with that same racquet

splink779
06-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Head heavy racquets are awesome for 2hbh, I don't know what you mean. As long as you can swing it comfortably and control it, go for it.

superman1
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
It's actually ideal for the two handed backhand. Very solid. The forehand is tougher because it's harder to get racquet head speed. Roddick expends so much effort on his backhands and gets so little in return. He has to twist his torso because his arms are fully extended and do none of the work. Get the racquet closer to the body, dude. Rotate the shoulders, not the waist.

Max G.
06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Interestingly enough, the game where he got the break back from Alberto Martin to make it 4-4 in the second was the game in which he stopped running around his forehand as much and was content to just hit neutral crosscourt topspin backhands for a while.

Dilettante
06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
as I recently said in a different thread.. I have been trying to copy Moya's forehand for years... in my opinion is technically speaking the best and more reliable forehand out there right now

I agree.

Moya's forehand is his weapon, when it's on he wins matches, simple as that.

I agree too.

But, I don't like his backhand. He has always run around his forehand, because his BH is not a weapon at all.

Anyway, he has been one of my favourite players for years.

I like the guy, too. He's got sense of humour.

arosen
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
the funny thing is that Kim Clijsters have no issues hitting BHs with that same racquet

Right on, she must have found the way. Kind of funny, really, her forehand being her weaker side. I would have never guessed by looking at her stick alone. Go figure.