PDA

View Full Version : Wilson experts- need your help

roundiesee
07-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Long time user of Wilson PS rackets (6.0, classic 6.1, HPS 6.1); now having to consider switching to a lighter racket due to shoulder pain. Have narrowed the field down to either the Hyper Hammer 6.2 or the H6. Would appreciate any helpful comments on the above from users of these rackets. Thanks a bunch!

!<-_->!
07-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Using one of those Hammers may not help your shoulder pain. Your swtich to a lighter and stiffer racquet may even make the pain worst. If you want to move to something lighter, try the PS Surge. It's lighter, but at least has some heft and is headlight. However before switching, have you tried a softer string, stringer lower, or a combination of both. If the strings fail, then perhaps you should switch racquets.

Coda
07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
what about the new n6-1 95? It's 12 ounces, but people say it's easy to get around and you can't feel any bad vibrations.

sandro
07-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Tour 95 is pretty light and flexible.

roundiesee
07-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks, I'll certainly try all your recommendations. Did try to continue using a heavy racket with soft strings, but that didn't help. The pain mainly comes on after playing. Strangely, during the heat of a match, I feel almost no pain at all. I've basically decided to ditch heavy rackets for a while and try lighter ones. So far I've tried the Head Ti-Fire 102 version with no pain, but being still loyal to Wilson, I was thinking of getting one of the lighter ones. If any one has played with the H6 or Hammer 6.2, please let me know your views. Thanks.

da
07-05-2004, 04:48 AM
If you are looking for a Wilson racquet that is comfortable and has specs similar to the Hyper Hammer 6.2 and H6, you should go after the Hyper Hammer 6.3 midplus. All three of these racquets were built in a similar mold as all of them come from the original Hammer 6.2 "skunk" lineage. However, the Hyper Hammer 6.3 has several advantages over the Hyper Hammer 6.2 and H6. First, the Hyper Hammer 6.3 has a significant amount of fiberglass in its composition, which is known to be arm friendly and to enhance feel. Second, the Hyper Hammer 6.3 has interchangable bumper guards, which allow you to easily adjust the weight and balance of the frame each time you restring. I recommend the standard (heavier) bumper guard as the racquet is still very maneuverable and ultra-stable for its weight with that setup. Finally, both the Hyper Hammer 6.2 and H6 both have a hollow feel that is not present in the Hyper Hammer 6.3 midplus - probably due to the fiberglass again. Also, the Hyper Hammer 6.2 and H6 feel much stiffer in play than the Hyper Hammer 6.3. Good luck!

barry
07-05-2004, 06:03 AM
The Wilson 6.1 did my shoulder in as well. Most of the new frames are all very stiff and to head light which puts stress on the wrist and shoulder.
I switched to a Wilson 5.1 surge string it at 53, no shoulder or arm problems. Don't believe what you read on the stiffness, the Surge is a lot less stiff than the 6.1, plus the weigh being more towards the head really makes the ball impact better for the shoulder.

christian
07-05-2004, 08:24 AM
The tour 95 is a real flexy frame with a lighter weight than your used to 11.5. Equal power level to the frames your using now also.

Simbah2004
07-05-2004, 09:01 AM
I also suggest trying the Pro Staff Zone. It is lighter (but not that light) and very flexible, excellent control. If you can get used to having the ball stay on the stringbed longer and its flexibility (some people don't like that combination - lighter and very flexible), this is a good choice. I have played with 6.0, HPS 6.1 and my shoulder could not take it anymore as well.

TripleThreatPlayer
07-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I previously used a Hammer 5.3 MP before switching to the surge X. I had some bad vibrations at the start because my strokes were not sound (which shouldn't be a problem for you). I lowered my tension from the maxiumum to mid range, and I have yet to experience the bad vibrations again.

roundiesee
07-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks again for all the advice. On a side note, there is a "strange" looking racket in a pro-shop near to where I live that's called a Wilson PS Tour 100. I think it's the Japanese line of Tours that came out when the US Tour 90 debuted. It weighs 10.5 oz and has a 100 si head with the Tour 90 cosmetics. Not sure about the rest of the specs though. Any thoughts?