PDA

View Full Version : How do you customize your PS Surge?

irvine84
07-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Bought a surge lately and found the vibration is a bit too much. I know that adding weight would make it better but I don't want to put on too much (say less than 12 oz total). What do you think it the best setup? Thanks.

Kirko
07-04-2004, 10:06 PM
I saw two players about 18 yr. old . They were what I call 5.0 thye had every shot eg. big topspin forehand & backhand .Their service sparkled. I asked them if they did anything to their rackets. The answere was no ; off the shelf Surges' . Only additions were yonex grap "white" & Home Depot grommet. . I checked it out where I get my rackets strung & if I wasn't thrilled with what I'm using now that would be it .\, based on actuallt seeing player use it effectively.

cbegap
07-05-2004, 07:27 AM
I've noticed that it doesn't take a lot of lead tape to dramatically reduce the amount of vibration (especially on serves) of a racquet. Try two 4' strips at the 9 & 3 positions and then go from there.

barry
07-06-2004, 03:42 AM
My surge is very stable since changing the grip to a Fairway. It weighs about 11.8 ounces strung. I also string it at 53 with polylon and it plays solid. No vibrations.
Fairways are pricey; you might try a Gamma leather grip, which is heavy like the Fairway.
My opinion is if you have to doctor up a racket with lead tape, build up grips, etc.. it is probably not the frame for you. I had a similar problem with the Wilson Tour 95, never able to customize it to my satisfaction.
Between the lighter tension and leather grip, the Surge 5.1 is now a powerful weapon, best part is no shoulder or arm problems which I experienced with other Prostaff rackets.

Kirko
07-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Hit the target Barry ! I firmly believe in what you said. Any racket that I need to "fiddle" around with eg. lead tape is not for me. I'm back with my trusty POGs' oversize with fairway grips. no lead ; just confidence .