PDA

View Full Version : Monfils: nearly as annoying as Hewitt!

djones
06-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Have you seen the match of Monfils yesterday against Norman?

He was celebrating every last point like a histeric immature kid!

Screaming and looking up into the audience as if he won a match with every single scored point.

Weren't you bothered by that?

tennissavy
06-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Yes, I think that his celebrating is too much to be in the limits of good sportsmanship and he isn't the only one who does it these days. Although, he might be the worst. It is really low class.

Grigollif1
06-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Player show no emtions while playing = People complain , label them as boring robots...

Player is French Playing a tough 5 set match in his home Grand Slam, showing a lot of emotions and vibrations = People complain , calling it disrespectful.

How, may I ask will the viewers be happy?

DX_Psycho
06-02-2006, 02:41 AM
check out this stupid dance he does

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SVNJv38AeLo&search=monfils

Grigollif1: people are never happy with anything. just human nature.

J-man
06-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Have you seen the match of Monfils yesterday against Norman?

He was celebrating every last point like a histeric immature kid!

Screaming and looking up into the audience as if he won a match with every single scored point.

Weren't you bothered by that?Wow. Take it into affect that he is a teenager in this home tourment and everyone is counting on you to do good. That's alot of pressure wouldn't you think? To tell you the truth if I were him I would be going crazy too.

ericsson
06-02-2006, 03:49 AM
damn damn good old norman almost had him nailed, he was shakingggg on his feet but unfortunatly too many error's in the end by norman. monfils wont get far though, he's not ready yet, show'd too much fear.

ericsson
06-02-2006, 03:50 AM
monfils-hewitt, that would be something :-)

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-02-2006, 03:53 AM

really stupid dancing..

Progressive10s
06-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Seems like a move you might see in a dance club recently!

dh003i
06-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Oh please. He's a teenager, so that's an excuse?

Nadal, while emotional, isn't like that.

Federer, who was playing Sampras at the Wimbledon when he was a late teenager, didn't celebrate after every point he won.

So, any other excuses for the lack of sportsmanship?

Virtuous
06-02-2006, 05:53 AM
I really like gael, and while his behavior doesn't change my feelings about him, i agree that they are obnoxious and a bit ott. There was an excessive amount of chest thumping, yelling, allezing, hopping etc. at every point won, and i thought it was in bad taste when he behaved like that after the match before he shook norman's hand at net. Hopefully, with some more experience on tour he'll tone it down some, while not losing the liveliness i like so much about him.

vive le beau jeu !
06-02-2006, 06:34 AM
There was an excessive amount of chest thumping, yelling, allezing, hopping etc.
allezing... nice expression ! :p
well... it's true it's definitely a bit "too much"... but on the other hand, he's a kid and he's having fun on the court... he'll probably get calmer in some months !
Nadal, while emotional, isn't like that.
not like that... yes he's 9999999999 times worse ! he's so much antipathetical with all his unpleasant gestures... berk !!! :x
Federer, who was playing Sampras at the Wimbledon when he was a late teenager, didn't celebrate after every point he won.
simply roger, simply classy ! :D

8PAQ
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
simply roger, simply classy ! :D

Federer. There Is No Substitute.

sureshs
06-02-2006, 07:00 AM
He is just the new breed of player - always celebrating small points, having a me-only attitude on the court etc etc. Not that the old breed like JMac was much better. But now the cutoff shirts and fist pumping seem to rankle some people (like me) more. And the media loves this kind of stuff and encourages it. The behavior from other sports is filtering into tennis.

tonysk83
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Good, about time we got away from the whole old style attitude of things. He is exciting to watch, unlike numerous players. He seems like he actually cares about winning, unlike some players who are just out there for fun.

Greekness
06-02-2006, 07:14 AM
He is nearly as annoying as me when I ask for new Nike clothes..

Ripper
06-02-2006, 07:14 AM
really stupid dancing..

Even more stupid dancing here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Qqx_EMj_oA&search=monfils

Ripper
06-02-2006, 07:18 AM

Did you see him waving together with the crowd?

Andy Hewitt
06-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Hewitt is nowhere near as annoying as this idiot!!! I wanted to just punch this guy out he made me sick. Respect your elders boy.

HyperHorse
06-02-2006, 09:01 AM
oh FFS its a grand slam... there is nothing wrong with displaying emotion.
your remarks are both annoying and intolerant.
so you wouldnt be excited to be playing @ a grand slam...
give me a break... *rolls eyes*

malakas
06-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Seems like a move you might see in a dance club recently!

Heh,heh..If someone near me "danced" like that in a club I would go as much further away as possible..:mad:

Tchocky
06-02-2006, 09:24 AM
He looks like an orangutan trying to amuse himself. No..but seriously. It is nice to see some players with a little personality. Tennis is always being labelled as boring because the lack of personalities in the game.

Greekness
06-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Did you see him waving together with the crowd?
No I did not..

Ripper
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
He looks like an orangutan trying to amuse himself.

Explain. Not the orangutan part (eventhough you should know better than comparing a black person to an ape, but I think you didn't mean it in a racist way). The "trying to amuse himself" part.

mistapooh
06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Isn't that youtube video of him a Haka war dance?

Ripper
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Isn't that youtube video of him a Haka war dance?

In what way is that related to what I'm asking here?

jackofromalsager
06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
leave him alone hes a good player he could beat all of us and take into acount he is a teenager and it is good to watch unlike people like federer who dont even say anything and dont show emotion

jjjosh
06-02-2006, 10:40 AM
His job is to be a tennis player. I do not know anything about him as a person, but on the court I feel he needs to act more professional.

Dedans Penthouse
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
showing a lot of emotions and vibrations = People complain , calling it disrespectful. How, may I ask will the viewers be happy?
Vibrations? Er, ok Brian Wilson.

The guy can act like an over-the-top horse's *** all he wants when he's "on his own" out there on the court. But DO NOT make your (defeated) opponent have to stand around and wait at the net for a protracted period of time before you come around to acknowleding him.

Do the "work" first (shake hands with your opponent).

Then "go off on yourself" for all I care.

dmastous
06-02-2006, 12:08 PM

I didn't think that was that bad. Not even a dance. It actually looks like he wanted to scream and jump around pumping his fists, but contained himself and did some internal fist pumping instead.
He's just won the match (against Santoro) for pete's sake.
This was no where near as outlandish as some post match celebrations I've seen.

Dan007
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
monfils-hewitt, that would be something :-)

Come ons, screaming, fist pumps on every point they win. That will be one crazy match!!

BreakPoint
06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree that Monfils over does it. If his opponents are not bothered by all that screaming, fist pumping, and celebrating after each point, then people should not be complaining about Hewitt either.

BreakPoint
06-02-2006, 02:29 PM

Nope, I'd say you've got Monfils beat by a mile..... ;) LOL

Grimjack
06-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Respect your elders boy.

Try that line out on a young black man who can actually hear you next time you're in the South Side watching a Sox game.

mileslong
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
i dont know who is more annoying, monfils , hewitt or nadal. they all celebrate almost evey point like its the championship point at wimbledon...

dmastous
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
i dont know who is more annoying, monfils , hewitt or nadal. they all celebrate almost evey point like its the championship point at wimbledon...
I would say Hewitt. Not because he does it more, or anything.
I think Hewitt does it because it's his "image" He is expected to do his little fist-pump and "come on!" after every break. It's his signature move. His marketing department has told him that that's the way to get fans and sponsors. Get a signature move and that will be what people focus on. All the networks and comercials who use Hewitt or profile Hewitt use reaction video as much or more that actual playing video now.
I don't like this kind of programmed or scripted thing. If it's genuine it doesn't bother me as much. I felt Monfils reaction in that little video was genuine so it didn't strike me as over-the-top. If he started doing that same thing after every break point, or set winning point or something then I would say something different.

LordRaceR
06-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Much, much more annoying.

ACE of Hearts
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Monfils is one cocky kid for someone that hasnt blown up yet.Can anyone tell me if there are any multiple junior slams winners that have turned out to be busts?

vive le beau jeu !
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
poor celebrations, indeed... :neutral:

the topspinmonkey is definitely the most annoying ! very antipathetical face when he "celebrates"... and gives me the impression he's forcing himself to do it more than the other two...

monfils seems a bit crazy but not so much antipathetical, i'm wondering how he's going to evolve...
and hewitt makes me laugh : i see him like one of these little ridiculous mini-dogs that don't stop barking... but instead of woof he says c'mon ! (this being said, when you're on the other side of the net, i guess it's more annoying)
did anybody already make fun of him by imitating his c'mon while playing him ?! ;)

PS: amazing compilation of c'mon's at the end of this video !!! :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sm5ed11MVg&search=hewitt%20coria
(and original song from the argentinian team at the end... you will learn how to make music with a garbage can !!!)

superman1
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Hewitt RARELY ever "c'mon's" anymore. It's one of the reasons for his downfall. And yet he's still labelled as the most obnoxious athlete ever, when in reality he's pretty mellow these days. I've never understood why everyone has a problem with Hewitt. Maybe he's just the type of guy that you look at and you immediately dislike.

AngeloDS
06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I really didn't mind it. More than anything, I really enjoyed how he embraced the crowd. I wish I was a part of that crowd :).

Though what I found annoying was Norman. He shanked so many tennis balls :p.

FEDEXP
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Hewitt does the "come-on"'s sometimes on opponents errors...and I really dislike him for it.

framebreaker
06-02-2006, 08:12 PM
hewitt and roddick make things personal. they keep starring at their opponents after points. oh please. you can't compare them top monfils. monfils has personality, character. and i am sure that he doesn't care what other people thing about his behaviour ( i wouldn't either). i like federer but he is not the best promoter of this sport (and i bet he doesn't care about this either)
so let people be the way they are.

Count Grishnackh
06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
He looks like an orangutan trying to amuse himself. No..but seriously. It is nice to see some players with a little personality. Tennis is always being labelled as boring because the lack of personalities in the game.

I think it can be a bit much. But the only reason some don't like Nadal's fist pumping is because it's coming at the expense of their beloved Federer. Monfils is not a top 5 player yet and he's not really a serious threat at slams so people don't mind him and his dancing and chest pumping. Just wait, if he's in the top 5 and beating Federer you'll see many more people here destroying him for his show off attitude. That's the truth. I would rather see more personalities in the game, for as much as I dislike Hewitt I actually missed the bas **** because I liked rooting against him. Kinda like the Williams sisters. Without them I actually don't care who wins what anymore on the women's side. I love emotional players, guys who literally make me wanna grab my racquets and hit the courts. Guys like Sampras and Federer (as brilliant as they are) are the cure for insomnia.

Breaker
06-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Well obviously some DO mind or this thread wouldn't be here..

Count Grishnackh
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Try that line out on a young black man who can actually hear you next time you're in the South Side watching a Sox game.

I knew it wouldn't be long before the racist comments would come out on Monfils. Anyone who doesn't look like a Nordic looking european is already being made fun of. So Nadal, Monfils, Blake, all of the South Americans are gonna be dissed here.

framebreaker
06-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before the racist comments would come out on Monfils. Anyone who doesn't look like a Nordic looking european is already being made fun of. So Nadal, Monfils, Blake, all of the South Americans are gonna be dissed here.
welcome to the world of racism and discrimination.:confused:

quest01
06-02-2006, 09:01 PM

That was funny. I dont know any player that would actually do that after winning a match. Federer should think about doing that dance after he wins a match.

Monfils may be annoying, but you should of saw how annoying he was at the paddleball tourmanent in Las Vegas. It was on the Tennis Channel a few months ago.

superman1
06-02-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't much care for Monfils, just from the little I've seen of him. He was a cheat in that Murray match in the way he challenged one of those calls. He spent 5 minutes arguing and pretending he saw a mark. Plus his game is awkward to watch.

I'm hoping Blake rolls him tomorrow.

BreakPoint
06-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree that Monfils game seems awkward. He doesn't appear to have any weapons nor much variety, and he always seems to be off-balance and his tall, skinny, lanky body makes him look a bit awkward running around. Frankly, I don't understand what makes him so good and gets him all the wins.

Kobble
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Blake will fry Monfils.

ShooterMcMarco
06-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Thats either a really bad harlem shake or a really bad seizure.

PeterSampras
06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
He's a Frenchman playing on his home turf. It's no different than how an American would act playing at the U.S. Open.

Let the kid have his glory. He'll need it against Blake.

nViATi
06-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Hewitt does the "come-on"'s sometimes on opponents errors...and I really dislike him for it.
Well he is a counter puncher. What is he supposed to cheer for? His gameplay is specifically designed to make his opponent make errors!

Grigollif1
06-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Some of you Honestly make me sick. This guy is exactly what tennis needs! He is an essentric guy with a very different personality and visual look that is really outgoing in the tennis court. Those are the kinds of matches that end up on SportCenter and bring more attention to tennis and yet, a lot of tennis fans are complainning ...

again is good to remind it:

Very reserved playerr that show little emotion in the court Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and Bjorn Borg = People call it boring....

Emotional players that like to display a lot of emotions :Jimmy Connors, Lleyton Hewitt, Rafael Nadal and now Gael Monfils = People call it Jerks , annoying....

There is no pleasing everyone...

conjunctivitis
06-03-2006, 03:25 AM
He's not annoying...just very hyper and trying to fire up the crowd. I think it's nice once in a while for a player to do that...his home crowd loves it

Steve Dykstra
06-03-2006, 05:09 AM
How, may I ask will the viewers be happy?

Never, some people are just never ever satisfied. It goes for many other arguments as well. People complained that the game was too fast, that points were too short. Now they slowed down the courts on average, and people complain that the rallies are too long and boring. Just enjoy tennis, people!!

prostaff18
06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
That match was good but it was made bad by Monfils. When Hewitt dose a "COME ON!!!" it is when he makes a good play. Monfils was doing it every play. Plus Hewitt is good.