PDA

View Full Version : best balls for duration?

antonio_montana 1986
06-02-2006, 05:01 AM
hello..
i son't want to change ball frequently so i ask you to name some good brands or even the best for making balls with duration.could it be dunlop?

Duzza
06-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Wilson Rally! They're slightly bigger so you dont mishit as much. Great for practice + when you play for real it feels like you're hitting a pebble so easy

anonymous2364
06-02-2006, 08:21 AM
wilson i like the us open balls

Nuke
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I just played in a tournament last week that used Wilson US Open balls and I don't think they held up well at all.

Dunlop championship last long for me. Lots of folks here will probably also point you to the Dunlop Grand Prix balls.

BabolatFan
06-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Penn Championship balls.

Askmeo88
06-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Penn Championship balls.

Nah, you're joking mate.

Go with Dunlop Grand Prix, you won't be disappointed.

BabolatFan
06-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Nah, you're joking mate.

Hey listen here. First off don't call me mate. LoL. Second it's my personal experience and I stated my opinion. You on the other hand didn't even any clue about balls coz you just started watching tennis. Let alond play. That's all. LoL

Barricade_steve
06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Dunlop grand prix is the way to go.

snoflewis
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
if you want durability, i'd go w/ those higher end pressureless balls (ie. tretorn)

but if you want a normal pressurized ball, then dunlop grandprix balls are the must durable that i've tried. they're slightly heavier, but last forever.

VanGuy10
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I'd have to agree with you guys. I've tried the prince competition, the wilson (ones in the black, also a silver can), the 20 in a bag ones you can get at target or fred meyer. I have to say Dunlop Grand Prix is the longest lasting ones. They dont last that much longer though, like 1.5 times longer perhaps. I've had a few dunlops that were just dead after a day, only happened twice though. Plus, on the up-side, practically nobody has Dunlop: Grand-Prix. I've only run into one other person thats used it besides me. Easy time telling which balls are yours when balls get mixed up :-)

mistapooh
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Nah, you're joking mate.

Yah, and it's $3 for 4 if I remember correctly.

snoflewis
06-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Yah, and it's $3 for 4 if I remember correctly.

i got a case for 1.69 a can of 3 balls....it came out to be less than $50 w/ tax CA tax included

mistapooh
06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
^Wait, I think it's $2 dollar or so here in Texas, because 3 is the club's price....

I like how they don't fuzz easily too.

Mike Danger
06-06-2006, 12:39 AM
you guys have to be kidding, The Us Open balls last the longest. all others and i do mean ALL go dead very quickly, Its more expensive to buy cheap things twice than good things once, which is why i fill my hopper with US open balls. Penn are the worst. Didnt you guys read that new Ball review in the latest Tennis mag?
I really want to try the gammas, i think they are going to be the best!

Roy
06-06-2006, 12:54 AM
The slazenger ones last quite long.

Nuke
06-06-2006, 05:36 AM
you guys have to be kidding, The Us Open balls last the longest. . . . I really want to try the gammas, i think they are going to be the best!

Well, the Wilson US Open kept their bounce, but the felt was gone after 3 sets. If you mean the Gamma pressureless balls, sure they last long like all pressureless ones, but they play like rocks -- too hard. OK for practice, but not match play.

Mike Danger
06-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, the Wilson US Open kept their bounce, but the felt was gone after 3 sets. If you mean the Gamma pressureless balls, sure they last long like all pressureless ones, but they play like rocks -- too hard. OK for practice, but not match play.

well if you like dead balls with plenty of felt left, by all means use Penn's

DXS
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I vastly refer the Dunlop Grand Prix's. I did try some Wilson's Pro Staffs (silver can) that lasted a good while too.

I used the Gamma pressureless balls for a while in my ball machine. They feel much heavier on the racquet face. They also bounce a good bit higher than regular balls.

wilsonfaithful
06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
actualy i just poted a thread asking a simalar question and I say the dunlop championships are good solid indistucabel balls But they have an odd bounce in my opinion so if your used to dunlop great if not go with US opens :confused:

milo
06-11-2006, 10:12 AM
i'd go with dunlop fort or dunlop championships

darkaug
06-11-2006, 10:52 AM
us open balls lose their felt fast , but the colour stays bright for quite a long time . but their awfully expensive :(

rasajadad
06-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Pressureless lasts longest but they feel harder than regular balls. I have 150 for my ball machine and they're on their 2nd summer. For pressure balls, I'm very impressed with the Gammas. Have a few in a hopper for a couple of weeks and they still look and bounce like new. I recall they're filled with something other than air (nitrogen?). Anyway, they last the longest for regular balls.

BigCigar
06-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Get the classic tretorn balls and they will last until you lose them.

They are a bit harder on the arm but trust me they feel great even after 3-4 years and probably longer than that.

Ripper
06-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I agree Dunlop balls have a nice feel that lasts. Btw, Prince balls are similar; maybe, you'd like to check them out.

monologuist
06-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Dunlop Grand Prix were definitely the longest lasting balls on the market...however, I recently tried Gamma Pro Tour Extra Duty balls, and I have to say, therer may be a new champion of durability. They play very lively (much more so than the Dunlops) straight out of the can, so I don't know if the fact that the retian their bounce has to do with the fact that they start out more juiced or not...unfortunately TW won't be carrying them.

monologuist
06-19-2006, 10:16 AM
i got a case for 1.69 a can of 3 balls....it came out to be less than $50 w/ tax CA tax included

where can you get a case of Dunlop Grand Prix for 1.69$/can ?! I also live in L.A.

Ronaldo
06-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Penn ATP Tour balls are excellent, Prince too

mileslong
06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
dunlop grand prix, best all around

Mike Danger
06-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Dunlop Grand Prix were definitely the longest lasting balls on the market...however, I recently tried Gamma Pro Tour Extra Duty balls, and I have to say, therer may be a new champion of durability. They play very lively (much more so than the Dunlops) straight out of the can, so I don't know if the fact that the retian their bounce has to do with the fact that they start out more juiced or not...unfortunately TW won't be carrying them.

hey how are the Gammas holding up so far? My wilson champion and us opens are pretty much dead now, need a new case of balls, and would like to give the gammas a go if they are atleast comprable to the Us opens

monologuist
06-24-2006, 02:00 AM
they are worth a try for sure...they bounce fast though!

Roforot
06-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Dunlop.
Think they make tires too so they know something rubber and bouncing.

rasajadad
06-24-2006, 03:31 AM
hey how are the Gammas holding up so far? My wilson champion and us opens are pretty much dead now, need a new case of balls, and would like to give the gammas a go if they are atleast comprable to the Us opens
I love them. The guy who runs our league bought a case for the winter. We generally warm up with last weeks balls then open the new can. Despite the court surface being so rough that reg. duty bals will fluff up in a set, the gammas stay together. The courts are dirty, but the gammas stay very bright. Bouce holds up even after a week.
They're definitely my new favorites!

Mike Danger
06-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Dunlop.
Think they make tires too so they know something rubber and bouncing.

HAH, yeah right, their tires suck

LionsNC
06-26-2006, 04:44 PM
I bought a case of Dunlops GP for our spring league and I have been very impressed with there durability as well as playability, a very nice ball indeed! Balls from early spring matches still have good bounce and our fine for practice. My buddy always complains about the extra wieght and I have to admit that they do seem a little heavy. One night in paticular they seemed very heavy, I don't know if it was the cool air or humitity but they did seem extra heavy that night.

Now last week one guy had some slightly used US opens that were bald but still had very good presure. He said they were bald because they are for clay. I was hitting some unbelievable serves with these balls, so I just ordered a case even though we play mostly on hard courts, I loved the speed of these balls. I hope no complains about them being regular duty on hard courts.

mowcopian
06-26-2006, 04:59 PM
i would have to say tht the slazebger wimbeldon balls are the longest lasting balls tht there are n the market 2day.

BabolatFan
06-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok I agree on the dunlop balls. They actually last a bit longer and give you a nice feel.

mowcopian
06-26-2006, 05:46 PM
ok, i havent tried the dunlop 1's so i am sticking by the slazenger 1's.

monologuist
06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
ok..I've been a dedicated Dunlop Grand Prix user for at least the last 2 years now and agree that they were the standard, bar one, in terms of durability.

I have been "experimenting" with the new Gamma Pro Tour XD balls for the last few weeks.

Initial impressions were that this ball plays noticeably faster and bounces higher than the Dunlops fresh out of the can...in fact, I'd say they play about as fast as any ball out there now. They are smaller than the Dunlops and lighter...they are more similar to the top Penn balls, but they really do have their own thing going on. I think they will appeal tremendously to players that like a ball that bounces very fast and high...heavy topspin forehands and kickserves really explode off the court (I play mainly on medium-fast outdoor hardcourts), and the bounces are super consistent and true so once you get used to the extra "juice", they are easy to control.

In terms of the durability of the felt, it is as good as the Dunlops if not better. There seems to be a noticeably thinner layer of felt to begin with, which is the strange thing....somehow it just doesn't get all that tattered, even after a solid 4-6 sets of tennis. While they lose some of the initial "juice" that makes them seem so lively out of the can, after the first couple of sets, they still retain about as much bounce as many balls do when FRESH after the first 2 sets or so. I think they would be perfect balls to relegate to the practice hopper after you retire them...I have some that have been used for what amounts to at least 6 sets of tennis, and they are definitely good enough for practice....in fact none of the Gammas I've opened have reached a stage where they were no longer playable.

Bottom line is that I feel comfortable playing the Gamma Pro Tours for at least 4 sets if not more. To me that puts them slightly ahead of the Dunlop Grand Prix in terms of overall durability, which I feel like are good for about 3 sets max for me. If you prefer a heavier and slower ball, stick with the Grand Prix. But the Gamma Pro Tours to me feel like they play more like the balls that are most commonly used in tournaments (Penn Championships for instance) but last much much longer. My local dealer has the Gammas for about 3$/can, so they are definteily a little more expensive than most other balls, but since they last more than twice as long as most of the 2$/can balls, the price is actually fine.

Just thought I'd write up a mini-reivew of the Gamma Pro Tours since very few people seem to know about them, and they are actually now, officially, the most durable ball I know of.

sidenote..I just noticed that Gamma claims to have a money-back satisfaction guarantee for these balls! Also they claim the following about their new "Technology" :
"The key to the Pro Tour’s performance is exclusive THINTEX™ TECHNOLOGY, a combination of an ultra-thin counter weighted ball core and ultra-high nitrogen pressure giving players more bite, spin and control."

I don't know what normal balls use other than nitrogen, but this pretty much sums up the Pro Tour ballsl they do feel like they give you more spin and bite...as far as more control, there are two sides to that coin; yes they are easy to control if you have good command of spin generation, but if your opponent hits with a ton of spin, you'll be dealing with that on the way back to you as well!

nn
06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
ok..I've been a dedicated Dunlop Grand Prix user for at least the last 2 years now and agree that they were the standard, bar one, in terms of durability.

I have been "experimenting" with the new Gamma Pro Tour XD balls for the last few weeks.

Initial impressions were that this ball plays noticeably faster and bounces higher than the Dunlops fresh out of the can...in fact, I'd say they play about as fast as any ball out there now. They are smaller than the Dunlops and lighter...they are more similar to the top Penn balls, but they really do have their own thing going on. I think they will appeal tremendously to players that like a ball that bounces very fast and high...heavy topspin forehands and kickserves really explode off the court (I play mainly on medium-fast outdoor hardcourts), and the bounces are super consistent and true so once you get used to the extra "juice", they are easy to control.

In terms of the durability of the felt, it is as good as the Dunlops if not better. There seems to be a noticeably thinner layer of felt to begin with, which is the strange thing....somehow it just doesn't get all that tattered, even after a solid 4-6 sets of tennis. While they lose some of the initial "juice" that makes them seem so lively out of the can, after the first couple of sets, they still retain about as much bounce as many balls do when FRESH after the first 2 sets or so. I think they would be perfect balls to relegate to the practice hopper after you retire them...I have some that have been used for what amounts to at least 6 sets of tennis, and they are definitely good enough for practice....in fact none of the Gammas I've opened have reached a stage where they were no longer playable.

Bottom line is that I feel comfortable playing the Gamma Pro Tours for at least 4 sets if not more. To me that puts them slightly ahead of the Dunlop Grand Prix in terms of overall durability, which I feel like are good for about 3 sets max for me. If you prefer a heavier and slower ball, stick with the Grand Prix. But the Gamma Pro Tours to me feel like they play more like the balls that are most commonly used in tournaments (Penn Championships for instance) but last much much longer. My local dealer has the Gammas for about 3$/can, so they are definteily a little more expensive than most other balls, but since they last more than twice as long as most of the 2$/can balls, the price is actually fine.

Just thought I'd write up a mini-reivew of the Gamma Pro Tours since very few people seem to know about them, and they are actually now, officially, the most durable ball I know of.

sidenote..I just noticed that Gamma claims to have a money-back satisfaction guarantee for these balls! Also they claim the following about their new "Technology" :
"The key to the Pro Tour’s performance is exclusive THINTEX™ TECHNOLOGY, a combination of an ultra-thin counter weighted ball core and ultra-high nitrogen pressure giving players more bite, spin and control."

I don't know what normal balls use other than nitrogen, but this pretty much sums up the Pro Tour ballsl they do feel like they give you more spin and bite...as far as more control, there are two sides to that coin; yes they are easy to control if you have good command of spin generation, but if your opponent hits with a ton of spin, you'll be dealing with that on the way back to you as well!

cool..thanks for review..shop in bay area charge $3.49..kind of expensive

Mike Danger
06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
well most pro shops charge 3.50 for US open balls so I think im going to go with the gamma.
I can find 4 packs of the Us opens for $10 so if i can do the gammas for about the same... i think ill be using those from now on.

ZPTennis
06-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I used to play with Treetorn tennis balls a long time ago. I don't know if they still sell them here in the states, but they lasted longer than anything i've ever played with.

Zach

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:36 AM
r the tretorn balls anygood, i keep seeing them in catalogues and i have read good reviews.

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:37 AM
i heard they were pretty gd, i saw them in a catalogue, they had good reviews.

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:37 AM
oh my god, i have done it again i am an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingit
06-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Folks have honest opinions about ball characteristics and there are a number of fine ones available with sometimes subtle differences. I've been impressed with the hard court characteristics of the Slazenger balls: slightly brigher than most balls; firmer than Dunlop Grand Prix; a bit heavier than most quality Penn balls and more durable than the best Wilson balls. ****enger balls are packaged four to a can and a bit more $s per can than the typical three-ball package but you get an extra ball and the added durability makes the economics very attractive compared to the other three-ball packages of quality balls. In the US, the issues is often one of availability of the Slazengers balls. They are available from a distributor in California...Garrison Sports Group. Just delete the spaces and add dot com for the website. If there is a more durable and firmness holding ball than the Slazenger I've not experienced it and I've played with them all. Highly recommend the Slazengers especially for durability on hard courts.

VolklVenom
06-28-2006, 07:54 PM
C'mon, Dunlop Grand Prix balls are crap!
Go the Slazenger balls for durability.

c_zimma
06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Double Post

c_zimma
06-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm telling you guys, Wilson Titaniums are the way to go.

Swissv2
06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I practice quite a bit (7 days a week) and have hit with all the well known tennis balls quite frequently. I buy a minimum of 8 cans of any type of ball on a hard court.

- Titaniums: great for a couple of days, then fades away.
- pressureless balls: only good for ball machine IMO. Feels weird for the bounce.
- Gamma: meh.
- Penns: Will only go for the ATP balls, otherwise goes flat fast.
- Wilsons: same as penns, but less durable. Most of my old wilsons are unplayable.
- US Open: better bounce, gets fluffy, but can be played over a period of a week or so.
- Prince XDuty: kinda heavy, I got it for the "visibility" felt though.
- Dunlop Grand Prix: tad heavy, but good visibility.

I play late at night, and I always tend to go with my Dunlop Grand Prix balls. The balls always maintain their visibility, (max-glow kicks butt) and every other ball seems dark next to the Dunlops. Also the bounce stays, and I hit quite hard (hitting with several 5.0 players) and we all like it.

Ronaldo
06-29-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm telling you guys, Wilson Titaniums are the way to go.
May try them, $1.48/can at Wallyworld

Swissv2
06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Ronaldo, you will be happy only for the first couple of days. unless you hit really lightly.

quest01
06-29-2006, 05:17 PM
From reading the positive responses on the Dunlop Grand Prix balls, i may have to purchase a case of them.

Ronaldo
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Ronaldo, you will be happy only for the first couple of days. unless you hit really lightly.
You really gonna use these turnips three days in a roll? May as well string a racquet with 13 gauge string. Btw, used the same bucket of Tretorns for three years.

hgb765
07-08-2006, 05:37 PM
you guys have to be kidding, The Us Open balls last the longest. all others and i do mean ALL go dead very quickly, Its more expensive to buy cheap things twice than good things once, which is why i fill my hopper with US open balls. Penn are the worst. Didnt you guys read that new Ball review in the latest Tennis mag?
I really want to try the gammas, i think they are going to be the best!

the gammas are good, they've lasted pretty long for me

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 08:10 PM
us open balls are the best

Dan007
07-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Dunlop Grand Prix

Ronaldo
07-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Anyone ever try Gamma Championship balls?

La Bomba
07-08-2006, 10:17 PM
There are these balls called Alinta in Australia. They are very durable. I won $50 credit to the proshop at my club for winning tournaments. I bought 5 cans of these balls, they are very good.

prestigen
07-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Duration is not an criterion. But the quality is.
My choice is always dunlop fort.

rasajadad
07-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Anyone ever try Gamma Championship balls?
Yes. All my comments here are about these as opposed to the Gamma ProTours. (To sum it up, I think they're really long lasting.) An opponent of mine thinks they feel hard. I don't agree.

dannyjjang
07-09-2006, 08:09 AM
unique pressureless baLLS ARE GOOD, but to start off the ball misses little bounce to it..teeeny tiny bit

dannyjjang
07-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes. All my comments here are about these as opposed to the Gamma ProTours. (To sum it up, I think they're really long lasting.) An opponent of mine thinks they feel hard. I don't agree.

what about the sex ball? the XXX ball in the 99cent stores(California)

Ronaldo
07-09-2006, 02:24 PM
what about the sex ball? the XXX ball in the 99cent stores(California)
Go see alice to retain their firmness overnite

Marat Safinator
07-09-2006, 03:27 PM
what the hell?

mctennis
07-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Slaz balls last a long time.In my ball machine I use pressureless ones. They last all summer usually.