PDA

View Full Version : wilson ultra 2

yip kok kuin
07-04-2004, 11:19 PM
does anyone has the specs for this great racket. got one last week. it definitely play better than prostaff 85. I have a prostaff 85 that has a 'GYO' at the butt and has no head guard. Is this a 'St Vincent'? Anyway, it is pale when compared with the ultra 2. Ultra's sweetspot seems to run all over its 85 frame. And despite its small face and weight, volley extremely well. It has the stability of max200g on volley and much better backcourt.

Kirko
07-05-2004, 07:27 PM
You described the Ultra 2 very well . Iused it for yrs. & thougth it blew away the Pro Staff & it never had a creepy bumper guard.

PrestigeClassic
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Have you had a chance to hit the Ultra standard size? I hit one a few months ago and it was terrible: a standard-size head with no feel at all. The Ultra 2 can only be better than the Ultra if it is at least a little more like the Pro Staff.

Yes, GYO is probably more like GYQ, a St. Vincent.

yip kok kuin
07-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Ultra one. the one that has lead rivet on the side. was offer some brand new last year. but didn't bite because all that are left are size 45/8. I don't think Ultra one and two are comparable. much smaller face and I think boron in ultra two did the job. Though, I must add, did try Yonex 8 (I think) which has boron in it. not as nice and extremely heavy. boron as I know are only found in flagship model. can wait to try prince boron. anybody know of others that have boron in it.

joe sch
07-06-2004, 07:55 AM
The ultra pws original was the 1st great graphite racket that Wilson made ! It is a superb hitting racket with much more control and feel than the larger ultra II that was the start of baseline blasting rackets IMO. I think the ultra original is one of the finest rackets ever produced and a friend of mine that played the tour in the laver era still plays those rackets because he also feels it is the best racket for a classic game demanding advanced stroking abilities. The ultra II is an awesome racket also but is just way too powerful for my tastes.

HT
07-06-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm playing with PS 85 and Ultra 2 boron mid size. The two racquets plays very similar, great ball control and feel, the difference is the huge power generated with the Ultra 2. I can't seem to tame it like I do with the PS 85. Another noticible change between the two racquet is the serve. It doesn't have the pop and placement like the PS 85. If I can just control the power and serve on the ultra 2, I would make it my #1 stick it a heart beat.

Right now, I have ALU rough in the crosses and VS gut in the mains. Maybe this string job gave it too much power. I thinking of switching it with TiMo and see if I can reduce the power.