PDA

View Full Version : Blake vs. Monfils match prediction

flymeng
06-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Who will win? Blake in 4 sets. Come on!!! :mrgreen:

Moose Malloy
06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Monfils has played horribly so far(going 5 sets with a 35 year old journeyman who only has a serve?)
And he has done dismally in slams historically.
The pressure with the French fans will be enormous & he will falter.
Blake in straights.

Also, I think this is the 1st meeting between 2 black players at a slam since Agenor-Noah at the 1990 Australian.

ACE of Hearts
06-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Should be a good one.I will say Blake in 3 sets.

mfa81
06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Blake in 3 sets, maybe 4 !

Down_the_line
06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Blake in 3! I'm getting excited for Blake. If he beats Monfils I think he has a good chance in the R16 againt Haas or Djokovic and then it's off to the QF's to face.....Nadal!

Tchocky
06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Blake 3-0 or 3-1. The crowd will be behind Monfils.

Ripper
06-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Prediction: Blake will win in straight sets. Ah, but not before Monfils makes a fool out of himself, dancing and kicking himself on the chest.

HyperHorse
06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
i think this one could go to 5 sets...
who will win? no idea.
i wouldnt be writing the kid off so soon...

Gugafan_Redux
06-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Prediction: Blake will win in straight sets. Ah, but not before Monfils makes a fool out of himself, dancing and kicking himself on the chest.

Kicking himself on the chest? Dang, that's flexible!

Ripper
06-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Kicking himself on the chest? Dang, that's flexible!

That's what he has planned for that match, don't miss it :)

arosen
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
James has been in excellent form recently. His win against Almagro will give him tons of confidence going into this match. No chance for plucky Gael. Monf is tons of fun though, he'll be around.

drakulie
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
In the words of the wise Clubber Lang: "PAIN"

Blake in 3 sets. 6-2, 6-4, 7-5

yonex90
06-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Blake will definately win against Monfils. Monfils is playing very badly in this tornament. He almost gave up in the first round. Blake is on fire.

FEDEXP
06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Certainly I see Blake taking Monfils....but "on fire"? I'm not seeing that yet. The much hyped clay courter, Alamgros, didn't show up today.

HollerOne5
06-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Am I the only one on the boards that can't stand James Blake?

Head_Rocketman
06-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Can't stand James Blake???!!! Haha What's not to like?

mistapooh
06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Blake in 4........Monfils isn't consistent enough to rally.

superman1
06-02-2006, 09:37 PM
If Blake hits like he did in his last match, it would take Roger Federer to stop him. Even Nadal would have a lot of trouble. Monfils is going down in 3, maybe 4.

PeterSampras
06-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Go James! I have to say I like this guy more every time I see him play. The only thing I don't like is his shiny head. I think he looked better with hair.

westside
06-02-2006, 10:23 PM

Must be a nadal fan.

K!ck5w3rvE
06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Haha westside....i think someone is feeling a little threatened after Blakes form against Amalgro.

Manda_D
06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
should be a fantastic match.... thinking blake in 4.

lucky leprechaun
06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
monfils then haas then nadal. I'm going to go out on a limb and say blake by trifecta :mrgreen: He's never lost to any of these guys.

travlerajm
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
I watched some of the Monfils-Murray match. Then I watched some of the Blake-Almagro match. It sure looked like two totally different levels of tennis. Monfils just likes to keep the ball in play with loopy balls, just the kind of ball that Blake likes. Blake and Almagro were both flat-out crushing the ball.

ShooterMcMarco
06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Dear James,

Please don't allow this kid to pound his chest again.

sincerely,

Marco

superman1
06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Monfils really just flicks the ball with his wrist and forearm. He's like Roddick without the power. Blake said that Monfils' major strength is his speed and his ability to get to every ball. Well, if Blake is hitting 80 mph forehands, there's not much Monfils can do.

Progressive10s
06-03-2006, 04:46 AM
If James Blake was so unlikeable, why did his high school name the school's courts after him this year. James (Even on the comeback trail) visited schools and youth tennis programs to promote the game. When he's asked to show up for a benefit or Arthur Ashe Kid's Day at the US Open, he is always there giving back to the community. You may not like his game, but he is always giving back to the game!

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Blake in 3. Monfils just played two tough five setters, so hes too tired to play a good match. Plus, Monfils cheats and doesn't have as much skill as Blake. I believe the cheater wont win anymore titles than the Juniors in the next 3 years.

Andres
06-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Dear James,

Please don't allow this kid to pound his chest again.

sincerely,

Marco
Dear Marco,

What chest!? :mrgreen:

Truly yours,

James.

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 11:51 AM
It might not even be entirely Blake's fault why I don't like him, but thats the way it goes. He seems like a nice guy off the court and all, but I'm just sick of seeing him. I'm sick of hearing the story about his last 2 years, I'm sick of the constant coverage of his matches just because America is desperate to claim someone as a serious challenger now that Roddick sucks. And I'll probably get crap for this, but I think he just walks around the court like he owns it, and its really annoying.

For instance, at the end of the 2nd set today, his gesture to end the match on HIS terms due to poor lighting was just annoying. I mean go ask the umpire and talk with your opponent first, instead of just acting like everyone should do what you want, give a sign that your done, and put your racquet in your bag without an official word. ANNOYING

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
i think this one could go to 5 sets...
who will win? no idea.
i wouldnt be writing the kid off so soon...

It looks like your prediction will be right based on the first 2 sets. If Blake had not survived that 2nd set it may not have even gotten that far.

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Monfils will lose this match.I notice that Monfils does alot of huffing and puffing, does this kid even have a physical trainer?Also he stays back too much, James needs to come foward.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Yeah, can't stand him either. Even before the Nadal thing. Something about him. Even when he played Hewitt, I didn't like Hewitt but I still pulled for him against Blake.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:09 PM
It might not even be entirely Blake's fault why I don't like him, but thats the way it goes. He seems like a nice guy off the court and all, but I'm just sick of seeing him. I'm sick of hearing the story about his last 2 years, I'm sick of the constant coverage of his matches just because America is desperate to claim someone as a serious challenger now that Roddick sucks. And I'll probably get crap for this, but I think he just walks around the court like he owns it, and its really annoying.

For instance, at the end of the 2nd set today, his gesture to end the match on HIS terms due to poor lighting was just annoying. I mean go ask the umpire and talk with your opponent first, instead of just acting like everyone should do what you want, give a sign that your done, and put your racquet in your bag without an official word. ANNOYING

I agree on that. I didn't like him before Nadal was even playing on the tour. He does have a whiny attitude on the court. I remember when he played the croatians in DC. He was whining about every close call, doing the Michael Chang. For all the praise he gets, he still has accomplished nothing. He's a good American fast hardcourt player. What he's doing now, he's only in the 3rd Round. If he loses tomorrow against Monfils, he hasn't reached a QF of any slam except the US Open. All this talk and he's 26 too.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
ANNOYING

^ yes you are :)

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Ha, there are some funny usernames here HyperHorse, Ace of Hearts, Count Grishnackh, Moose Malloy, sorry couldnt help but notice. :)

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Ha, there are some funny usernames here HyperHorse, Ace of Hearts, Count Grishnackh, Moose Malloy, sorry couldnt help but notice. :)

How about Throatwobbler Mangrove?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
How about Throatwobbler Mangrove?

I like that one.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 01:44 PM
^ yes you are :)Haha, and the ones who agreed with him too! :)

Best post so far Tennis Is Fun!

mileslong
06-03-2006, 05:58 PM
if you like someone like monfils and not james blake then i dont know what that says about your personality. blake is a class act and monfils is a punk...

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Monfils is the "type" of guy that I would dream of bashing on the court, putting him in his place! Like you said Miles, he's a "punk".

superman1
06-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Blake is an awesome guy with a great game and I hope he gets this win. I also see Monfils as just another punk kid. I haven't seen too much of his game, but what I have seen does not impress me that much, especially compared to Blake's game.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I guess "a lot" of people can sniff out a "punk"!

MTChong
06-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Ending the match to his terms? If the umpire didn't want to, he wouldn't agree to so who gives?

And by the first part, I guess you just can't come to terms with the fact that a guy like that is better at tennis than you. Grow up.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Ending the match to his terms? If the umpire didn't want to, he wouldn't agree to so who gives?

And by the first part, I guess you just can't come to terms with the fact that a guy like that is better at tennis than you. Grow up.Yes agreed. "Holler". . . wait, I meant: "holla". ;)

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
James is very fortunate to be 1 set apiece.He had some momentum after that second set tie-breaker, lets see if he comes out on fire.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
I think James was starting to figure him out. I would definitely continue to attack the net if I were Blake; push that punk far back off the court and smash away!

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 11:14 PM

And by the first part, I guess you just can't come to terms with the fact that a guy like that is better at tennis than you. Grow up.

I'm saying that James was not courteous in the least when going about this.....everything he did was just to persuade the umpire to call the match. Not that Monfils seemed to care the match was suspended seeing how he just lost the 2nd set, I just found it rather annoying. James Blake thinks he is the ****, he acts like it, and I'm tired of it.

And no, I can come to terms that he is better than me at tennis. Everyone on the tour is better than me at tennis, what's your point? I watch as a spectator, and I am annoyed that as an American, players like Blake and Roddick are cocky, arrogant, and utterly annoying.

superman1
06-03-2006, 11:59 PM
WTF? When has Blake ever been cocky and arrogant. He's the exact opposite of that.

I swear, there are the most ridiculous people on this board that love to believe in the complete opposite of what is true. I will never understand it.

Ztalin
06-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Roddick is arrogant? Sorry buddy, but you just lost every ounce of credibility that you might've had. Roddick is one of the most humble people on the tour.

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Roddick is arrogant? Sorry buddy, but you just lost every ounce of credibility that you might've had. Roddick is one of the most humble people on the tour.

Thats a bunch of bull. I'm talking on the court. Roddick plays up the nice guy thing just fine off the court, in interviews for the most part, and I appreciate the work he does with his charity and various other organizations.

However, on the court, Roddick has a staunch arrogance and aura about him that is undeniable. I've even seen him in matches be a complete jerk, both to umpires and to his opponents. Especially for no reason, including one match in Miami this year, one of his 3 setters, he was completely screaming and smack talking like "Yeah, now what? " to his opponent for no reason. It was ridiculous. Trust me, I'm not trying to gain or lose credibility here, but I'm telling you that this kid has an attitude, and it annoys me as a fan. There, I said it

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Thats a bunch of bull. I'm talking on the court. Roddick plays up the nice guy thing just fine off the court, in interviews for the most part, and I appreciate the work he does with his charity and various other organizations.

However, on the court, Roddick has a staunch arrogance and aura about him that is undeniable. I've even seen him in matches be a complete jerk, both to umpires and to his opponents. Especially for no reason, including one match in Miami this year, one of his 3 setters, he was completely screaming and smack talking like "Yeah, now what? " to his opponent for no reason. It was ridiculous. Trust me, I'm not trying to gain or lose credibility here, but I'm telling you that this kid has an attitude, and it annoys me as a fan. There, I said it

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight i really dont see it sir....
well as i said, dont rule out the kid...
Monfils won in 5 sets. :-)

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 09:10 AM

What a shocker, after Blake lost, he complained to the umpire for a few minutes about the loudness of the French crowd. WHAT A JOKE...seriously like he didn't know what to expect playing Monfils in France? He told the umpire that it was unfair. What a whiney little baby. Does he not remember during the US Open and he had that whole "blake box" or whatever they called it with like 30 of his fans who were cheering and jeering even when Nadal would double fault. What a complete a$s hole.

jamaican fan
06-04-2006, 09:29 AM
HollerOne, are you certifiably insane? What's there not to like? But honestly, why can't you stand him?

siber222000
06-04-2006, 09:31 AM
HollerOne, are you certifiably insane? What's there not to like? But honestly, why can't you stand him?
cuz his insane :mrgreen:

Saito
06-04-2006, 09:35 AM

Rookies never learn.... these kind of posts belong in Match Results section...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4945/rules15ia.jpg

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Even though Blake didn't win, that still doesn't mean that Blake didn't figure him out. I liked how Blake was playing a lot of net. Just unfortunate to have too many errors!

Anyways, is it just me or does Monfils have the most annoying grunt ever! I mean, yeah, I understand the need for some people to grunt loudly in order to exhert that power into the shot, but like Monfils . . . that guy freakin like lets his annoying grunt "sustain" for seconds, even after the ball left his racquet! I don't mind the annoying "quick" bursting grunt, but one that is "sustained"? C'mon now, that IS THE WORSE GRUNT IN HISTORY, I would have to say.

Any takers?

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 03:30 PM

yes.