PDA

View Full Version : Steffi Graff to consult for HEAD

Tchocky
06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
As some of you may know, Steffi has been hired to consult on HEAD's new line of tennis racquets designed for women. Wilson recently introduced a line of tennis racquets specifically designed for women called the W line. Where they got that name...I'll never know. Apparently, HEAD wants to emulate what Wilson is doing. My question is: Didn't Steffi play with Wilson her whole career? I know her husband ended his long standing relationship with Nike last year because they wouldn't contribute regularly to his foundation. Just wondering if Andre and/or Steffi is making HEAD contribute to Agassi's foundation. Any thoughts?

PRADEEPKUMAR MANI
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Steffi played with a dunlop for almost 70% of her career. She made a switch to wilson very late in her career.

Progressive10s
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
We are marketing all these game improvement racquets for people that will eventually throw shockwaves up their arms causing elbow and shoulder injuries. When I started playing everything was 14-15 ounces. Yes, the game has changed, but no onw complained about such arm injuries.

MagicMT
06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
what are racquets designed for women like? just light and big head?

jackcrawford
06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
With all due respect, I have been playing and watching tennis since 1968 - the idea that TE was rare among pros or rec players in the wood days is a fantasy that seems to have been dreamed up by Wilfred McCutcheon of the racaquet research website. Consult any of the memoirs of that era's pro players like Marty Reissen's, or back issues of World Tennis from the '60's to get a feel for the frequency of arm injury complaints.

sureshs
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
With all due respect, I have been playing and watching tennis since 1968 - the idea that TE was rare among pros or rec players in the wood days is a fantasy that seems to have been dreamed up by Wilfred McCutcheon of the racaquet research website. Consult any of the memoirs of that era's pro players like Marty Reissen's, or back issues of World Tennis from the '60's to get a feel for the frequency of arm injury complaints.

Also in those days, information about the frequency of TE would not have been widely known (no Internet, etc).

Ripper
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM

They have flowery paintjobs.

Ripper
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
As some of you may know, Steffi has been hired to consult on HEAD's new line of tennis racquets designed for women. Wilson recently introduced a line of tennis racquets specifically designed for women called the W line. Where they got that name...I'll never know. Apparently, HEAD wants to emulate what Wilson is doing. My question is: Didn't Steffi play with Wilson her whole career? I know her husband ended his long standing relationship with Nike last year because they wouldn't contribute regularly to his foundation. Just wondering if Andre and/or Steffi is making HEAD contribute to Agassi's foundation. Any thoughts?

I said it before, I'll say it again:

"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$"

Btw, Steffi will have as much to do with the final products of that raquet line as Andre has to do with the Radical line.

Court_Jester
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
This goes to show that Wilson was on to something when they introduced the W line. I remember lots of sneers from the boards when the word got out but now companies like Dunlop (M-Fil Lady), Volkl (DNX 6 Attiva) and Head want to get into the game and get a piece of the action because there's profit to be had.

CJ

Nuke
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
This is not some new development. Back in the days of wood racquets, there was a Chris Evert Autograph on the market, alongside the Maxply Fort and Jack Kramer Autographs. It's marketing.

vkartikv
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
will she give me HEAD?

VGP
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I get the impression that the Wilson W line has been financially succesful. Just seems smart for other companies to follow suit. If I was a woman and there was a racket that had the specs that I wanted and came in cool cosmetics I'd buy one too. I'm a guy and I like the look of the W line.

As for the marketing of frames to women in the wood days, like the Wilson Billie Jean King and Chris Evert Autographs and others like Tracy Austin, it's good marketing. Lately, it's all been about technology, but there are things that appeal to each gender differently. Personally, I think the Prince O3 White looks good in the hands of men and women.

As for TE being a problem back in the day, maybe it seemed less of a problem because one, to hit well with wood, you have to have better technique, and two, the wood itself absorbed a lot of the shock.

couch
06-02-2006, 12:39 PM

They like to shop a lot.

LowProfile
06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Steffi's Wilson racquet was definitely no tweener stick. It was a seriously demanding stick with a 95 sq inch head and a weight in the 12+ oz. Nothing like those light, whippy W Line racquets of Wilson. Perhaps Head's female line will feature slightly less dangerous racquets.

Then again...probably not.

dmastous
06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I thought it was strange to see Steffi in an add for a Head racquet in the recent RSI magazine.

VGP
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Another step in the Agassi-Graf marriage....

Agassi was pulled over from Nike to Adidas shoes and clothing, Graf now goes from Wilson to Head rackets.

Warriorroger
06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
No matter the racket, although I think it's a poor choice going from Wilson to Head, her main weapon was the Dunlop Max 200G and everyone who has the racket at home knows why it so admirable that she won so much with the Max. The Max 200G was the weapon in her Golden Slam of 1988.

rommil
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
....oh that head. I was going to suggest Jenna Jamison...

bebots
06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Steffi's Wilson racquet was definitely no tweener stick. It was a seriously demanding stick with a 95 sq inch head and a weight in the 12+ oz. Nothing like those light, whippy W Line racquets of Wilson. Perhaps Head's female line will feature slightly less dangerous racquets.

Then again...probably not.

Even more so, I think it was 85 sq. inches

jackson vile
06-10-2006, 09:20 AM

Well then I predict that we will be seening a lot of men buying 1-2types of that racket, remember she played with a more manly racket than 90% of the people here.