PDA

View Full Version : 36 and counting!

Down_the_line
06-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Federer currently rides a 36 match win streak on grass. Assuming he wins Halle and Wimbledon again this year, that will bring his streak up to 48 matches. Will this be a new record? Or his his current streak already a record?

ACE of Hearts
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
I am sure he is thinking about the french first.:rolleyes: I can see him skipping Halle if he reaches the finals.

Andres
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
The record is 41 by Bjorn Borg :)

8PAQ
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Borg has 41 consecutive grass wins. All of them from Wimbledon's. He won 5 in the row and then lost in the final of the 6 one. So you have 5 x 7 + 6 = 41. Amazing!!!

Fed's streak so far includes "only" 21 best of 5 matches unlike Borg which had 41. Still if Fed can win Halle and Wimbledon this year and get those 48 in the row then I think that beats Borg by enough wide margin to make this a valid record.

Moose Malloy
06-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Still if Fed can win Halle and Wimbledon this year and get those 48 in the row then I think that beats Borg by enough wide margin to make this a valid record.

Yeah, right. Going undefeated at Wimbledon for 5+ years is a little more impressive than winning Halle 4 times(an event that didn't even exist until the mid 90s)

You think Wimbedon organizers will give him a trophy(ala Nadal) when he wins his 1st round match at Wimby? Hopefully they have more sense than to do that. Fed strikes me as someone who would find that pretty silly considering he knows what Borg did is far greater than what he did.

This streak talk isso funny. No one ever talked about surface streaks ever in the 70s/80s. ATP must be desperate to drum up interest in the sport by harping on this stuff.

8PAQ
06-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, right. Going undefeated at Wimbledon for 5+ years is a little more impressive than winning Halle 4 times(an event that didn't even exist until the mid 90s)

You think Wimbedon organizers will give him a trophy(ala Nadal) when he wins his 1st round match at Wimby? Hopefully they have more sense than to do that. Fed strikes me as someone who would find that pretty silly considering he knows what Borg did is far greater than what he did.

This streak talk isso funny. No one ever talked about surface streaks ever in the 70s/80s. ATP must be desperate to drum up interest in the sport by harping on this stuff.

Going undefeated in warm up event is not as easy as you think. Especially if you play couple days after the FO and have no grass practise beforehand just like Fed did in 2005. Heck even Sampras lost Queens few times right before winning Wimbledon.

Andres
06-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Borg has 41 consecutive grass wins. All of them from Wimbledon's. He won 5 in the row and then lost in the final of the 6 one. So you have 5 x 7 + 6 = 41. Amazing!!!

Fed's streak so far includes "only" 21 best of 5 matches unlike Borg which had 41. Still if Fed can win Halle and Wimbledon this year and get those 48 in the row then I think that beats Borg by enough wide margin to make this a valid record.
There is no such thing as a VALID record or so whatever. The record is 41. If Federer wins 42, the record belongs to Federer, no matter what.

Moose Malloy
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Heck even Sampras lost Queens few times right before winning Wimbledon.

And I don't think he's losing any sleep over it, do you? Did he even ever win Queens?
Who cares about Halle/Queens/etc. They are pretty meaningless events, just serve as practice matches for Wimbledon. Fed could lose 1st round at Halle 60,60 & still be a huge favorite as Wimbledon.
The grasscourt season is so short, it generally isn't as important as a predicator of success at Wimbledon, unlike the extremely long clay season.

Its admirable that Fed cares so much about winning every event he plays, but majors are all that matters. If he's in the final of the French, he should skip Halle(which starts the day after the FO final)

I really hope they don't have Borg present some trophy to Federer if he breaks this "streak." Would be so sad that they are celebrating something so trivial.

8PAQ
06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
And I don't think he's losing any sleep over it, do you? Did he even ever win Queens?
Who cares about Halle/Queens/etc. They are pretty meaningless events, just serve as practice matches for Wimbledon. Fed could lose 1st round at Halle 60,60 & still be a huge favorite as Wimbledon.
The grasscourt season is so short, it generally isn't as important as a predicator of success at Wimbledon, unlike the extremely long clay season.

Its admirable that Fed cares so much about winning every event he plays, but majors are all that matters. If he's in the final of the French, he should skip Halle(which starts the day after the FO final)

I really hope they don't have Borg present some trophy to Federer if he breaks this "streak." Would be so sad that they are celebrating something so trivial.

I doubt they will be giving Fed any trophy for any winning streaks. He seems to be in some kind of record breaking winning streak all the time anyway. It would get boring real quick.

They just wanted to hype up Nadal some more to show that there is this other great player out there.

tonysk83
06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Do you think Fed's trophy if he wins the streak will be the various layers of grass?:)

Volly master
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
if fed wins halle and the first round of wimbledon, he will beat the record.