PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Male Tennis Player?

Duzza
06-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Have they ever done tests on this? Like a 100m sprint? I would say that Ljubicic is very slow and Hewitt/Agassi are up at the fastest

Grigollif1
06-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Two words :

J A M E S B L A KE

Rafael Nadal is pretty fast too but, his speed is different. James Blake is explosive speed getiing from point A to Point B. Where Nadal is good at recovering fast and endurance through out the match to counter punch.
In terms of sheer speed there is nobody close to the American...

35ft6
06-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Wertheim said Rainier Schuettler is known to be pretty quick, too.

Agassi is really not that fast.

I would like to see Hewitt, Blake, Monfils, and Nadal race 40 yards. It would be very close.

tennus
06-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Have they ever done tests on this? Like a 100m sprint? I would say that Ljubicic is very slow and Hewitt/Agassi are up at the fastest

100m sprint wouldn't reflect tennis court speed. 10/20m sprints, reaction speed, changes of direction etc would be interesting though. :)

superman1
06-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Agassi? No, once upon a time he was. He's still good at getting drop shots, he's not as good at side-to-side motion.

Blake, Nadal, Coria, Federer, Hewitt. According to Blake, Monfils might be the fastest guy out there.

nViATi
06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Sprinting speed means nothing. You gotta see them on the court.

drakulie
06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Roddick is the fastest losing in the French, LOL.

Duzza
06-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Sprinting speed means nothing. You gotta see them on the court.

Yer i didn't really mean 100m sprint but like from one court side to the other

BLAKE?? really?? i never noticed

HyperHorse
06-03-2006, 03:26 AM
100m sprint should be good. they should do it @ every ATP event and have it on the highlights show.

Mattle
06-03-2006, 03:29 AM
100m sprint should be good. they should do it @ every ATP event and have it on the highlights show.

Yea, and they could also have a "Who can eat the most icecream in five minutes" competition..:S

Captain America
06-03-2006, 03:37 AM
There's a big difference between speed and quickness (ie, anticipation, first step to the ball, changing directions, etc). In tennis, speed is good but quickness is crucial. Federer may not be the fastest runner on the tour, but his quickness is huge advantage for him imo....

Duzza
06-03-2006, 03:44 AM
ok and what do you define by quickness? Reaction to short balls? Or just fast footwork? it seems to be speed and quickness will result in the same thing

Captain America
06-03-2006, 04:31 AM
ok and what do you define by quickness? Reaction to short balls? Or just fast footwork? it seems to be speed and quickness will result in the same thing

Good question, this is probably a pretty subjective thing. My point is that the ability to run fast is not as relevant to tennis as having fast reaction time, an explosive first step, and the ability to change direction forward/back and side/side in response to constantly changing stimuli (movement of the ball, position of opponent, etc).

Maybe its semantics, but rather than being fastest in a running race from Point A to Point B, I think it's a bigger advantage in tennis to be the quickest scrambler from Point A to B, then back to A, then up to C, then across to D, then diagonally up to E, diagonally back to F, etc.....

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Federer has superior balance and this allows him to recover faster and move faster towards shots. This is where his speed comes from.

Blake is simply explosive and has a huge first step that propels him towards his target very quickly.

Nadal and Hewitt have that counterpuncher's speed that allows them to recover when way out of court position and the endurance maintain their speed during long matches.

Coria is a bit of a mix between Blake and Hewitt. He can run all day and very quickly too, but much of this comes from the explosiveness of his first step. His movement is even more tremendous on clay when you factor his incredible sliding skills.

Agassi moves foward as well as the best of them, but his sideways movement is relatively suspect (especially as he approaches 36). His style is to make the opponent move corner to corner, so this weakness doesn't really affect him as much as it would a counterpuncher.

Pat Rafter had incredibly quick feet, but he was never really on the run much because he was ALWAYS at the net.

BaseLineBash
06-03-2006, 06:36 AM
My vote goes to Nadal on court. As for 100m or 200m, I say Blake.

BaseLineBash
06-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Agassi moves foward as well as the best of them, but his sideways movement is relatively suspect (especially as he approaches 36). His style is to make the opponent move corner to corner, so this weakness doesn't really affect him as much as it would a counterpuncher.
Just so you know, he turned 36 in April, so he now is approaching 37.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-03-2006, 07:43 AM
LLeyton Hewitt, then Coria

travlerajm
06-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Back in the 80s, Rostagno issued a challenge to all other pros: he bet that he could beat anyone who dared face him in a 200m dash. That says something.

travlerajm
06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
My vote goes to Monfils. Goldstein has inside info, and I gotta believe my Stanford boy.

Kobble
06-03-2006, 08:09 AM
I think Nadal's footwork may be the best I have ever seen. Blake could be faster from point A to point B, but to cover everything in between, my vote goes to Nadal. Hewitt is also a rocket around the court. Very difficult to say for sure. No numbers to back anything up.

bcaz
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I think Robbie Ginepri is the fastest guy on tour, but Blake knows him well, and if James says Monfils is fastest, then it's probably true.

jamumafa
06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Apparantly - over 200 metres - Volandri is fastest on tour.

holterguist
06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero is called the mosquito for two reasons, that large proboscus like nose and his agility.

guernica1
06-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Its gotta be... Irakli Labadze!

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 02:15 PM
if James says Monfils is fastest, then it's probably true.You stole that from one of the commentators. I think MacEnroe said that.

chiru
06-03-2006, 02:29 PM
funny that blake says monfils is fastest. i say blake on hard (used to be hew) and nadal on clay.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I think 2 fastets players are Nadal and Federer today.

chiru
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
i think federer has got some of the best movement, but that doesn't necessarily mean fastest. i think federer is very good at anticipation and is very efficient with his footwork, which makes him get to the ball IMO better than everyone, but in raw speed from pt. a to pt. b i say blake on hard, maybe even nadal nowadays almost same, and then nadal clearly on clay.

FuZz_Da_AcE
06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
please people...asafa powell!

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
please people...asafa powell!AsafapfwahpihpfihA powell???????????

chess9
06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Mentioning Monfils is a bit humorous to me because he can be so clumsy. He has great foot speed, but his upper body is often out of sync with his lower body. This is of huge importance in tennis-keeping the upper body controlled like a dancer does. If Monfils learns this-as most great basketball players have-then he may break into the top ten.

Really, great movers like Federer will always beat sheer foot speed as long as they have the strokes.

For sheer quality of balletic movement and speed combined though, who is better than Paradorn Srichipan? Hewitt also gets my nod. Blake is very stiff in the upper body because of his back problems, but he almost completely compensates with upper body power and lower body agility.

Anyway, to get to the top 100, all of these guys have to have very good athletic ability. The differences are very small at this level.

-Robert

tennus
06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Really, great movers like Federer will always beat sheer foot speed as long as they have the strokes.

This is it. This guy doen't even look like an athlete yet he glides around the court, anticipates well and seems to have so much time. Hingis in the WTA is the same. She doesn't even slide on clay !:)

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Roddick is the fastest losing in the French, LOL.
:)

Duzza
06-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Its gotta be... Irakli Labadze!
Wow, i thought all the weed would do the opposite..

Venetian
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Why do people keep saying this has nothing to do with speed on the court? If you're fast at 100 meters you're flat out fast. Overall fitness has everything to do with every sport. It does matter which athlete can lift the most or which one can run the fastest. That's why you run sprints to condition for tennis.

I've been sprinting since I was in junior high and I've always been the fastest out on the court. Unless I come up against another sprinter.

Also. If you can bench 300lbs then you can hit a very hard forehand.

It's not ALL technique. What you're body is capable of matters.

pero
06-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Blake: "He's a great player. Got a ton of talent, definitely. I think Andre said a few times that I'm the fastest guy on tour, but until he plays him, I don't believe it because that guy's faster than anyone I've ever played against. He gets so many balls, especially on this surface with it being that slow. Makes you win the point a few times. I just didn't do that. A couple times at, what was it, 4-all in the fifth, I had two volleys I didn't put away. Part of that is the effect his speed has on the match and me just not finishing the points. So that's how he wins a lot of points. He's also got a huge serve. So he just has a ton of talent."

after losing to monfils ;)

tonysk83
06-04-2006, 02:47 PM
After watching Monfils play Blake, I say Monfils.

Lee
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Gaudio gets my vote, the man can fly on clay, so beautiful to watch

fastdunn
06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Monfils the fastest.

Coria the smoothiest. gliding movements over the court.

TheNatural
06-04-2006, 04:45 PM
havn't really seen Monfils,the others like Nadal, hewitt, blake wouln't be too fast over 100mm in a straight line, they'd burn out after 50 metres. they'd go ok at 100mm if they had to swerve around 30 witches hats along the way.

Rodical
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
The fastest male tennis player is.............................Nadal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

superman1
06-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't think Monfils is the fastest, but he's up there. Roddick said it best in calling him "long." He gets to every ball because he's so long and has so much reach. Plus he's great at sliding on clay.

Rickson
06-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Nadal and Federer are the two fastest players on tour right now. I don't know if they could beat everyone in the ATP in a 100 meter race, but they cover the tennis court faster than any other players in the world today.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Nadal is so fast that even if his anticipation skills were poor AND if his footwork were NOT efficient, his pure quickness alone would still enable him to run down many shots -- that would have been winners for other players!

Federer is just great. He can read the shot early. His instincts are second to none! After he finishes his shots, he instantly repositions into the anticipated area immediately, faster than most other pros, IMO.

It's also his "presence" that enables him to dictate where the incoming shots would come from, to his side, since there is that respect factor -- very much like Wayne Gretzky for example; it's almost like when Wayne drove the puck into the scoring zone, his opponents would just lay-off of him, respecting that he could do whatever he wants. I mean, it's not like Gretzky is a big strong guy or anything!

Do you people understand what I mean about that "presence" factor? . . . and do you agree?

oscar_2424
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Nadal and Monfils

HyperHorse
06-05-2006, 06:54 AM
former players that were very quick:
Chang, Rafter, Sampras, Rios..
current players that are very quick:
Nadal, Federer, Grojean, Hewitt, anyone under 6ft really...
Coria, other spaniards...
*goes into corner and continues rambling off players names*

Marat Safinator
07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Id have to say Canas.

emcee
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I'd have to say it's Coria and Nadal. But the only top player I've ever seen from close to the front row (it was the end of a blowout by him at the US Open) was Lleyton Hewitt and MAN was he fast!

beernutz
07-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I was listening to some sports channel talking head the other day, on ESPN I think, who claimed that Nadal could run a 4.2 40 (yard dash). Is this just BS or has he ever been timed in the 40?

tennistensai
07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I was listening to some sports channel talking head the other day, on ESPN I think, who claimed that Nadal could run a 4.2 40 (yard dash). Is this just BS or has he ever been timed in the 40?

i think thats b.s. but maby and besides the 40 is just when someone runs straight so its hard to tell if someone's that fast on a court.

guernica1
07-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Nadal is very very fast, but that would be BS for him to run a 4.2 40... that would put Rafa in a class of speed faster than... Michael Vick? DeAngelo Hall?
No way; I would hazard to say no tennis player is faster than the fastest NFL player.

Fastest and quickest player I've seen in person was Clement in his prime: able to cut on a dime and sprint in all directions.

unjugon
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
This one´s easy: Grosjean. The guy FLOATS on the baseline! You have to watch it live to actually appreciate it.

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 05:44 AM
yes grosjean is very fast and fluent, but still the fastest is canas. nobody except me has even mentioned him. peas and carrotts!

bcaz
07-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Ginepri is the fastest man on the tour, or at least he was -- I haven't seen him play for awhile.

TREX
07-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Rod Laver!

Thunderbrat
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I've always looked at speed and quickenss as two different things.

Speed is very objective. Mathematically it's distance covered divided by time elapsed. The hundred meter dash is often the best measure for speed as it's arguably the greatest distance at which an athelete can maintain top speed (which for a world class sprinter is around 26 mph.)

In today's game I think Blake, Monfils, and Safin (who might be the best all around athelete in tennis) could all run around 10.5 or 10.6 hundreds. They'd beat the pants off of Agassi, Hewitt, Coria, and most other shorter legged players known for quickness.

Quickness is more subjective and measures things like reaction time and the ability to start, stop, and change directions quickly. My votes here would go to Nadal and Hewitt. Nadal, for his size, is one of the quickest atheletes I've sever seen.

Combine the two and I think Nadal might just edge out Safin and Blake.

callitout
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Ive seen many players say Nadal gets to the most shots by far. Whether thats speed quickness anticipation or recovery who knows, but on the tennis court he's way up there. So too is Federer.

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 02:40 PM
I've always looked at speed and quickenss as two different things.

Speed is very objective. Mathematically it's distance covered divided by time elapsed. The hundred meter dash is often the best measure for speed as it's arguably the greatest distance at which an athelete can maintain top speed (which for a world class sprinter is around 26 mph.)

In today's game I think Blake, Monfils, and Safin (who might be the best all around athelete in tennis) could all run around 10.5 or 10.6 hundreds. They'd beat the pants off of Agassi, Hewitt, Coria, and most other shorter legged players known for quickness.

Quickness is more subjective and measures things like reaction time and the ability to start, stop, and change directions quickly. My votes here would go to Nadal and Hewitt. Nadal, for his size, is one of the quickest atheletes I've sever seen.

Combine the two and I think Nadal might just edge out Safin and Blake.

safin fast? not anymore. after early 2004 he got unfit now looks old.

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 02:40 PM
nadal for his size...? hes only 6'1

brucie
07-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Blake by miles!

clayman2000
07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
monfils...blake...nadal...coria