PDA

View Full Version : Never mind the outcome: Mathieu is a hero

Warriorroger
06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Never mind the outcome: Mathieu is a hero. He plays brave, exciting tennis against Nadal. He is not afraid, and makes the point and he has Nadal puzzled.

I hope Mathieu wins. Secondly then my earlier post about Nadal losing would also be true, but that is second. I liek his tennis.

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 10:06 AM
This might possibly be the best that Mathieu has ever played since that devastating Davis Cup match against Youzhny. I'm glad to see it.

Feņa14
06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
This might possibly be the best that Mathieu has ever played since that devastating Davis Cup match against Youzhny. I'm glad to see it.

True, he was on fire V Roddick last summer at Canada though.

His talent is that of a top 10 player. His mental toughness, shot selection at times, and his frequency in losing tough matches has held him back.

Hopefully this can make him realise where he belongs and alow him to really fulfill his potential.

malakas
06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
True, he was on fire V Roddick last summer at Canada though.

His talent is that of a top 10 player. His mental toughness, shot selection at times, and his frequency in losing tough matches has held him back.

Hopefully this can make him realise where he belongs and alow him to really fulfill his potential.

And I had told you!!Put money on Nadal!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Feņa14
06-03-2006, 10:55 AM
And I had told you!!Put money on Nadal!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL I told you ! I supported Mathieu and he got beat, which is probably going to happen to Davydenko soon. I'm going to have to start supporting Nadal in hope of him losing to uhm ... Hewitt? :confused:

malakas
06-03-2006, 10:57 AM
LOL I told you ! I supported Mathieu and he got beat, which is probably going to happen to Davydenko soon. I'm going to have to start supporting Nadal in hope of him losing to uhm ... Hewitt? :confused:

Just please..DON'T SUPPORT FEDERER!!:mrgreen:

Feņa14
06-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Just please..DON'T SUPPORT FEDERER!!:mrgreen:

Federers my second favourite player.. after Feņa Gonzalez, and we all know what happened to him :rolleyes:

I'm open to bribes though ;)

malakas
06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Federers my second favourite player.. after Feņa Gonzalez, and we all know what happened to him :rolleyes:

I'm open to bribes though

Ok,ok..extortioner!!!!!How much is your price??;)

Just don't talk with Pusher Terminator..He will offer you whatever you wish,to jinx Fed.:mrgreen:

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 11:14 AM
When i was watching Mathieu today, i thought i was watching James Blake.:mrgreen:

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Mathieu played excellent for most of the match, and Nadal was very tentative and his shots were landing very short in the court....and still Nadal won. I feel kind of bad for PHM, but I felt bad for Nadal a bit too. The guy was getting booed even when he looked at a mark on the court. The crowd was ridiculous, but it sort of reminded me of the Grosjean match from last year's 3rd round with Nadal.

Is anyone else more excited for the Nadal/Hewitt match? If there is one opponent Nadal could face where he knows the crowd will be 100% for him, it is versus Hewitt. Does anyone like that guy? Nadal's gonna cream him

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Give me a break, i am beginning to find Nadal more obnoxious then Hewitt.His little quirks are ****ing annoying.The banana episode was one for the ages.:-|

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Mathieu is a good clay court player when he's on his day. However, the guy can't handle pressure to save his life. Losing to Russia at home on clay in the deciding rubber being up 2 sets to love and Youhzny too, he still lost. I knew he was capable of playing tough since he's had nothing to lose and the French crowd 100% behind him. Still then he lost. No mental fortitude.

malakas
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Mathieu played excellent for most of the match, and Nadal was very tentative and his shots were landing very short in the court....and still Nadal won. I feel kind of bad for PHM, but I felt bad for Nadal a bit too. The guy was getting booed even when he looked at a mark on the court. The crowd was ridiculous, but it sort of reminded me of the Grosjean match from last year's 3rd round with Nadal.

Is anyone else more excited for the Nadal/Hewitt match? If there is one opponent Nadal could face where he knows the crowd will be 100% for him, it is versus Hewitt. Does anyone like that guy? Nadal's gonna cream him

I am not so sure that the French fans will support Nadal.He has beaten their man PHM,and also that banana inciddent must have ****ed them off.I think right now,they will supporth anyone against Nadal..

HollerOne5
Give me a break, i am beginning to find Nadal more obnoxious then Hewitt.His little quirks are ****ing annoying.The banana episode was one for the ages.:-|

Yeah, I mean it was a little annoying, but I have never seen Nadal use gamesmanship, as McEnroe possibly suggested. if you are having a hard time breathing or swallowing because somethign is lodged in your throat, that could be cause for concern. That happens when I eat peanuts sometimes, I'm sure its natural. I'm gonna give Nadal the benefit of the doubt until I see how he addresses the issue on his blog later, if he does.

Warriorroger

French crowd is tough, that's true, but Nadal was asking for it, what was with the stupid banana break?

The crowd doesn't like it when people are playing drama queens. They never boo Federer.

Nadal was in my opinion not tentative, but outplayed. Unfortunately, there aren't too many at the moment who see through his game. I say unfortunately, not because I dislike Nadal, but he plays a coward game. Never liked counterpunchers.

Mathieu was winning the points, when he came to the net and went for winners at the right time. Anyhow, Nadal won, congratulations to him and his fans. The outcome is what matters.

Hope Mathieu is proud at what he has done, he has done more to Nadal than Roger.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Fed fans will obviously look for anything to dislike about Nadal. I hated Sampras, he didn't really do any antics but I still knocked him for not playing Davis Cup. If you dislike any player, you will look for anything to justify your hatred. Fed fans don't like the fist pumping, if he didn't fist pump, they'd find something else to knock about Nadal. I know because Fed is a cheater and a phony. =)

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, i am sure Fed would come up with the banana episode:rolleyes:

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I am not so sure that the French fans will support Nadal.He has beaten their man PHM,and also that banana inciddent must have ****ed them off.I think right now,they will supporth anyone against Nadal..

In all honesty, they never rooted for him. Even last year when he played Grosjean and Gasquet they booed him. The banana thing is just an excuse to not cheer for him. They also are tired of seeing him win everything on clay, they like an underdog. The guy is also a French killer. Didn't you know? The French and Spanish don't like each other. But then again who likes the French? If it weren't for America they'd be speaking Deutsch right now.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
French crowd is tough, that's true, but Nadal was asking for it, what was with the stupid banana break?

The crowd doesn't like it when people are playing drama queens. They never boo Federer.

Nadal was in my opinion not tentative, but outplayed. Unfortunately, there aren't too many at the moment who see through his game. I say unfortunately, not because I dislike Nadal, but he plays a coward game. Never liked counterpunchers.

Mathieu was winning the points, when he came to the net and went for winners at the right time. Anyhow, Nadal won, congratulations to him and his fans. The outcome is what matters.

Hope Mathieu is proud at what he has done, he has done more to Nadal than Roger.

And the French players aren't drama queens? Clement, Grosjean, etc. they so play to the crowd it's not funny, but Nadal gets jacked up over hitting a running forehand screaming winner crosscourt, that's cause for booing him? Nah, they boo champions, Lance Armstrong got spat on because he's American and dominating their cycling event. No other reason.
They did boo Federer last year when he got whiny against Nadal. The French boo winners. They booed Agassi for whatever reason, they boo Nadal because he's winning everything on clay. Yeah, they even booed Guga back in 2000 against an underdog Ferrero. Federer here is the underdog, they'll back him against Nadal for sure. They even booed Courier against Bruguera in 1993 because he was the favorite and the best on clay back then. The French always go for the underdog. It doesn't matter whether you show emotion or not.

malakas
06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
In all honesty, they never rooted for him. Even last year when he played Grosjean and Gasquet they booed him. The banana thing is just an excuse to not cheer for him. They also are tired of seeing him win everything on clay, they like an underdog. The guy is also a French killer. Didn't you know? The French and Spanish don't like each other. But then again who likes the French? If it weren't for America they'd be speaking Deutsch right now.

Excuse me for asking but do you have anything against the French?I have to come to believe that many of the posters here have negative feelings of them and like to make fun of them.I don't understand why...Given that the majority of the posters here are American may I ask..Do the americans have something against the French?Why so much hostility? :confused:
And,no I didn't know that the French and Spanish people don't like each other...:confused:
And even if America hadn't intervened in th WW2 I hardly believe that the French would speak German.The downfall of the Third Reich would come anyway..
With regards.

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 12:33 PM

And perhaps that if it weren't for France, the americans would still be subjects of her Majesty the Queen of England! Remember Lafayette?

And anyway Germany never intended to force the countries invaded during the WWII to adopt german as their language!:rolleyes:

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Nah, they boo champions, Lance Armstrong got spat on because he's American and dominating their cycling event. No other reason.

No other reason? Perhaps because he used illicit products to enhance his performances???

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
And perhaps that if it weren't for France, the americans would still be subjects of her Majesty the Queen of England! Remember Lafayette?

And anyway Germany never intended to force the countries invaded during the WWII to adopt german as their language!:rolleyes:

Well if you're American, then you really have no reason to like the French. I've been there and they say some of the meanest things about Americans and the country in general. You'd think they were supporting a terrorist union. I'm not american but even I have to scratch my head at their hatred for USA. I know that if I were American I wouldn't like the French. I'm from Finland and we here don't like the French. They certainly have a attitude about them that doesn't endear them around europe.

Ken B.
06-03-2006, 12:44 PM
everyone shut up about the whole WW2 stuff, seriosuly.

Anyways, just watching it here with a few friends, people thought it was pathetic that he called for the trainer. "I mean, how do you choke on a banana?" is what we were all joking about. And the French had every right to boo him for that. And those stupid little fist pumps.

I applaud Mathieu for what he did. I especially liked how he stared down nadal and acted like a big shot whenever he scored a big point in order to give nadal a taste of his own medicine (that's the only time I've seen Mathieu do that; he must have been annoyed as well with it)

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
No other reason? Perhaps because he used illicit products to enhance his performances???

That stuff went on waaay before the doping allegations which they still couldn't prove today. Maybe it had something to do with him dominating for 6-7 years and being a Yankee doodle Dandy.

malakas
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Well if you're American, then you really have no reason to like the French. I've been there and they say some of the meanest things about Americans and the country in general. You'd think they were supporting a terrorist union. I'm not american but even I have to scratch my head at their hatred for USA. I know that if I were American I wouldn't like the French. I'm from Finland and we here don't like the French. They certainly have a attitude about them that doesn't endear them around europe.

Well, Count Grishnackh I don't know it may be different with the Scadinavian countries but in pretty much the rest of Europe people say the same about America's imperialistic politics.Also,I didn't know that most Finnish didn't like the French?We like them.Maybe not so much but pretty much.

BTW..Your country is beautiful.I went there when I was a little kid and the beauty of the snowed forests and the frozen lakes is still stuck in my memories..(Though I must admit the same goes for the reindeer's pie though for completely different reason Yike!! )

Also....Go LORDIE!!!!!!!!!

Warriorroger
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Fed fans will obviously look for anything to dislike about Nadal. I hated Sampras, he didn't really do any antics but I still knocked him for not playing Davis Cup. If you dislike any player, you will look for anything to justify your hatred. Fed fans don't like the fist pumping, if he didn't fist pump, they'd find something else to knock about Nadal. I know because Fed is a cheater and a phony. =)

You are either young or don't know a lot about tennis. Sampras didn't really do any antics? How many Sampras matches have you watched or you should ask Rafter about Sampras.

There's nothing wrong with pumping your fist, unless you do it when your opponent double faults or hits out or in the net unforced and your boy does that all the time, but dislike is a too strong word. I dislike his tennis, but he wins win it and nothing else matters.

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I've been there and they say some of the meanest things about Americans and the country in general. You'd think they were supporting a terrorist union.... ...I'm from Finland and we here don't like the French. They certainly have a attitude about them that doesn't endear them around europe.

Aren't you currently doing exactly the same as what you accuse the french to do???:rolleyes:

Don't you realize that with the way you conduct yourself, the reproaches you direct to the French should directly apply to you?:confused:

And anyway, when I read this board, and last time I went to the USA <not so long ago> it looked to me that "saying some of the meanest things about French and the country in general" was like some sort of american national sport, so you can't accuse one country to be worst than the other on that point! You have a strangely biased way to see and present the things.

Warriorroger
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
And the French players aren't drama queens? Clement, Grosjean, etc. they so play to the crowd it's not funny, but Nadal gets jacked up over hitting a running forehand screaming winner crosscourt, that's cause for booing him? Nah, they boo champions, Lance Armstrong got spat on because he's American and dominating their cycling event. No other reason.
They did boo Federer last year when he got whiny against Nadal. The French boo winners. They booed Agassi for whatever reason, they boo Nadal because he's winning everything on clay. Yeah, they even booed Guga back in 2000 against an underdog Ferrero. Federer here is the underdog, they'll back him against Nadal for sure. They even booed Courier against Bruguera in 1993 because he was the favorite and the best on clay back then. The French always go for the underdog. It doesn't matter whether you show emotion or not.

Graf was never booed at RG, even when she was winning. Yes, you're right about the drama queens. They booed Pierce too. They never booed Gustavo Kuerten, but nice try.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Graf was never booed at RG, even when she was winning. Yes, you're right about the drama queens. They booed Pierce too. They never booed Gustavo Kuerten, but nice try.

Actually they did, check your video tapes. Nice try by you trying. But I know which matches he did. OK fella?

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 01:11 PM
You are either young or don't know a lot about tennis. Sampras didn't really do any antics? How many Sampras matches have you watched or you should ask Rafter about Sampras.

There's nothing wrong with pumping your fist, unless you do it when your opponent double faults or hits out or in the net unforced and your boy does that all the time, but dislike is a too strong word. I dislike his tennis, but he wins win it and nothing else matters.

I'm not young and I too, can admit I never cared for Sampras too much. He didn't really have antics, but you have to admit that Sampras sure didn't show a lot of personality on or off the court, and was pretty boring. I always preferred the Agassi side in that rivalry. Maybe I just like the flashiness I guess, and is why I prefer Nadal to your precious Federer, and Seles to your precious Graf.

BUT, no one can deny that Lleyton Hewitt is the most disliked man on the tour, and I really don't think the crowd would be rooting for him. Hell, the crowd barely rooted for him in the Australian Open versus Nadal a year and a half ago.

vkartikv
06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
A banana is stuck in my throat, oh please, let me take a 10 minute break. I have gagged before but this one was a little too big for me.... what an a hole

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm not young and I too, can admit I never cared for Sampras too much. He didn't really have antics, but you have to admit that Sampras sure didn't show a lot of personality on or off the court, and was pretty boring. I always preferred the Agassi side in that rivalry. Maybe I just like the flashiness I guess, and is why I prefer Nadal to your precious Federer, and Seles to your precious Graf.

BUT, no one can deny that Lleyton Hewitt is the most disliked man on the tour, and I really don't think the crowd would be rooting for him. Hell, the crowd barely rooted for him in the Australian Open versus Nadal a year and a half ago.

Yeah I remember that. The crowd had every reason to pull for their boy Lleyton and the crowd was very impartial. The only time I saw the Aussies cheer hard for one of their own was with Rafter.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 01:17 PM
A banana is stuck in my throat, oh please, let me take a 10 minute break. I have gagged before but this one was a little too big for me.... what an a hole

Dude, he was serving for the set at 15 all. The racquet was in his hands. You're obviously a Fed fan that's more angry at the fact that he won, not the banana.

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Deep Throat Vol. # 69

Looks like you work for Diabolic/Anabolic video production!;)

vkartikv
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Dude, he was serving for the set at 15 all. The racquet was in his hands. You're obviously a Fed fan that's more angry at the fact that he won, not the banana.

I am a fed. fan but an intelligent one - intelligent enough not to start a thread that says 'don't worry, fed. will get his fair share of long games pretty soon'. Thats sadistic.

vkartikv
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Looks like you work for Diabolic/Anabolic video production!;)

I can get you a role if you want ;) There will be more than bananas involved...

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I can get you a role if you want ;) There will be more than bananas involved...

My dream!!!:p

Volly master
06-03-2006, 02:12 PM
come on lleyton, take out the monkey =)

mathieu tried and gave it his best..it was a good effort by the frenchmen