PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's hits lack pace

highsierra
06-03-2006, 10:05 AM
The match with Mathieu is going on right now. Is it just me or all his groundstrokes lack pace? particularly after watching the Blake rerun last night, almost like I'm watching much lower level players in this match.

Bottle Rocket
06-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Because of the top view from the cameras you can't see all the spin on his shots... Probably more top spin than any other player on tour right now. That's one reason he never misses and Federer hates him.

Grimjack
06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Is it just me or all his groundstrokes lack pace?

It's all relative.

Nadal is by no means one of the big hitters in the game. So in that sense, his groundies "lack pace." But they certainly don't "lack pace" in the sense that they're too slow or anything. Nadal's game isn't about pace. It's about consistency. He's at the midpoint between the modern power-baseline game and the moonballers of the 70's. He's the Tracy Austin of the 21st century.

ZhuangCorp
06-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Because he has an upset stomach, he ate a bad banana

tnig469
06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Well if u have never watch nadal...the game is HEAVY HEAVY topspin...u have to sacrifice some pace to generate that spin on the ball...obiviously its very effective dont u think?

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 10:35 AM
They have great speed, but much of this speed is up diagonally due to his topspin rather than straight through the court like Blake. His shots are not penetrating, but they are very hard to return because of the difficult timing.

siber222000
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
well this is out of topic, but dont u guys get annoyed when mathieu say like BA KING every single freakin shots he hit? that annoys me like hell, sometimes it sounds like "f"ing =_=

Andres
06-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Well if u have never watch nadal...the game is HEAVY HEAVY topspin...u have to sacrifice some pace to generate that spin on the ball...obiviously its very effective dont u think?
Although he does rip some forehand winners wich rival Federer's, Safin's and Blake's pace.

sureshs
06-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Just saw Nadal on a breakpoint taking so much time before his second serve that the umpire had to call time. One more example of gamesmanship.

RiosTheGenius
06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Nadal's shots don't come fast, but I can't even imagine how heavy that ball must be... returning one of those forehands must be like trying to hit watermelons...

lucky leprechaun
06-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah it doesn't have pace, that's because he put all that energy into spin. If he was to hit the same ball and have it go into the ball instead of spin, it would probably be faster than a james blake return.

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Mathieu took the ball early on several occasions and was successful.

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Mathieu took the ball early on several occasions and was successful.

Mathieu was playing out of his mind.

foetz
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM

yes but only cause the vast majority of pros today are quite one dimensional. basically they're playing all the same style but nadal does this a bit better so he wins.

mucat
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I doubt Nadal's shots lack pace as even Federer has problems play Nadal.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
his shots lack some pace, but he uses western grip so thats a given. He makes up for it though with heavy topspin and high bouncing balls

foetz
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I doubt Nadal's shots lack pace as even Federer has problems play Nadal.

sure but not cause of nadal's pace.

AAAA
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Apparently his shots are perhaps lacking some depth because some of the commentators are saying the ball used at the French Open this year is slighty bigger than the balls used last year and they're bigger than the balls used at other clay court tournaments, still within the defined range of ball sizes but bigger none the less. Not really bothered about checking this with the Roland Garros website but it's what I heard some commentators say.

If the ball really is bigger and making Nadal hit shorter than normal then it's a gain for Federer assuming he reaches the final.

splink779
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Blake played on a court where the CAMERA ANGLE was far different, giving a much better perspective of the pace. For instance, on TV it can look like players hit faster groundstrokes at the US Open than at Wimbledon.

Don't get me wrong, Blake does hit a faster ball than Nadal. But its usually the camera angle that plays tricks on your eyes.

mucat
06-05-2006, 09:20 PM
sure but not cause of nadal's pace.

You don't think lack pace heavy lefty topspin alone will cause trouble to Federer?

It has to have BOTH pace and spin. As for Nadal, his footspeed is also one of his weapon.

urban
06-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Maybe the strokes are lacking lenght more than pace. Too many are landing on the T-line. He is also standing too far behind the baseline imo. At Dubai this year he was more stepping in and aggressive on the return.

brolycjw
06-06-2006, 02:20 AM
But I noticed his passing shots were pretty good recently, since passing shots don't have to be deep.

superman1
06-06-2006, 03:05 AM
If lefty topspin was all that bothered Federer, every lefty he played would start kicking it up high there and automatically beating him. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, and they usually get steam-rolled.

Nadal has a combination of factors that give Federer trouble, most importantly his physicality. No one else charges around the court like Nadal. Add to that the weight of his shots, the lefty spin, his quick hands, and his great passing shots and drop shots.

jings
06-06-2006, 03:11 AM
He hits with more spin and lefty spin than most have been used to. In time people will work out how to deal with it - which seems to be to take it early. But that is easier said than done. As to his passing I don't think he passes much better than a number of players, it's that opponents are coming in on the wrong ball or too early in the rally in an attempt to take time away and shorten the point. For a guy with as good ground strokes as Nadal most of the targets he's asked to hit aren't that hard - all of which is magnified when on clay. This is not to say he doesn't hit some great passes, but in general I would say this is true.

35ft6
06-06-2006, 05:40 AM
He can hit a forehand as fast as anybody when he wants to. Maybe Blake, Tursunov, and Berdych can unload a faster forehand, but Nadal can generate heat when he wants.

treo
06-06-2006, 07:35 AM
I saw Nadal play at the USO from a bird's eye view above the net. From that distance you can see that from point A to B, Nadal's basic groundstroke is slower than most, even many women. It looked like a strong player playing a weak player. Then I saw him play from courtside and I could see all the spinnning and curving on the ball and how differently it bounces than most others. He has one of the fastest swings on tour and when he flattens it out it is one of the fastest shots.