PDA

View Full Version : French Fans: Nadal - Mathieau Match +

Buuurnz
06-03-2006, 10:21 AM
What's up with the fans in Paris? I'm watching the Nadal match right now and all I can say, I'm not a Nadal fan....BUT the fans and visitors act like a bunch of bozos and they are just not fair at all...!I mean everytime Nadal takes a look at a ball that might have been out they boo...!I mean these fans are horrible...!
what y'all think?

Dan007
06-03-2006, 10:33 AM
That's the exact same thing that happened with Nadal vs Grosjean last year. The French fans are just simply the worst. I mean if you look at U.S. Open and oyher tourneys some other guy from a different country and an American plays, they rooting for the american, but not unfair and start booing.

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Man these guys are French. They root for their home guy and when the other guy takes a time out because of a rampant banana, they're going to get colicky.

siber222000
06-03-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah french fans ARE horrible, like the WORST

malakas
06-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah..Also this is footbal(soccer) crowd behaviour.In Europe this is the sport that even if you are not a very big fan of you are influenced by it.That's what I think.

tnig469
06-03-2006, 10:49 AM
THe boos r killin my mood lol...all the cheers for Mathieu...JUST cuz nadal missed a shot is killing me...but u know if mathieu makes a good shot or nadal makes a good shot they should cheer...i was always taught not to cheer or boo if someone makes a BAD shot

Buuurnz
06-03-2006, 11:02 AM
THe boos r killin my mood lol...all the cheers for Mathieu...JUST cuz nadal missed a shot is killing me...but u know if mathieu makes a good shot or nadal makes a good shot they should cheer...i was always taught not to cheer or boo if someone makes a BAD shot

word

siber222000
06-03-2006, 11:16 AM
i just saw one set for blake and monfils.. freakin french crowds, blake got double fault and they cheer for it, wtf?

flymeng
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree. The French are the worst. That incident with Justine raising the hand during Serena's serve. When Serena asked for 2 serves and was denied, the fans booed Serena. I am no Serena fan but the fans need to understand the situation. They just kept booing like idiots. Totally classless.

FedererUberAlles
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
It's called "Passion."

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Nadal does alot of little quirks that bother people including me.The whole banana issue was ridiculous, i cant wait for his next little act.:rolleyes: Even Mcenroe was having a little giggle with that one.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 12:37 PM
To sum it up, this is one of the things that makes Wimbledon the best!

siber222000
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
It's called "Passion."
...whatever...

malakas
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
To sum it up, this is one of the things that makes Wimbledon the best!

Well,I like it more if the crowd is more appreciative.Even if they boo.:mrgreen:

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
It's called "Passion."

It's called stupid French attitude. When they boo Federer and they will, let's see how much you guys like it then.

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Count idiot shows up:p

vive le beau jeu !
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
It's called stupid French attitude. When they boo Federer and they will, let's see how much you guys like it then.
they would never boo roger as they boo the topspinmonkey...... and it's normal ! nadal's attitude is provocating the boos...

skip1969
06-03-2006, 01:02 PM
The French fans are just simply the worst. I mean if you look at U.S. Open and oyher tourneys some other guy from a different country and an American plays, they rooting for the american, but not unfair and start booing.
i'm not defending the french here . . . they ARE a fickle, hard to please bunch, for sure . . .

but they are hardly the only ones out there exhibiting poor behavior, bad tennis manners, whatever you want to call it.

maybe wimbledon is the lone exception to offensive behavior (cos maybe it's the whole 'cathedral of tennis' thing that makes people act right, out of respect. well, that and the fact that the english can be so damned polite . . . when they want to be . . . to your face, at least . . .). but to say that it doesn't happen anywhere else?? come on now! and you certainly can't use the us open has a barometer for good tennis behavior. i mean, they clap louder there (when there's a yank on the court) for opponents' missed first serves or double faults than anywhere else on the planet! excluding davis cup ties, maybe.

not too mention all the other nonsense that goes on there. they used to talk and yell BEFORE at flushing? hell, i can't wait till this year when they will all be yelling "CHALLENGE" or "SHOT SPOT" every time a friggin' ball lands near a line. circus.

tangerine
06-03-2006, 01:03 PM
So let's see here:

The French booed Roddick because they paid big money to see a top-ranked player play some tennis and Roddick had to retire due to re-injuring his ankle, so they booed him because they don't like players copping out with the old injury excuse. It all comes down to THEM, not what's best for the players.

The French booed Nadal after defeating their local boy PHM because they paid big money to see a top-ranked player play some great tennis which the defending champ and his opponent did for 5+ hours but they booed anyway because the guy they wanted to win did not, even though he poured his heart and soul out there on the court and the fans got their money's worth which they complained they didn't get with the Roddick match.

Commentators: The French boo and act like pigs because they are knowledgable fans of tennis and they really know their tennis.

Any other excuses for this boorish behavior? Would love to hear it.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
They probably did not like the banana break. The umpires need to put a stop to alot of those gamesmanship tactics all the players are using.

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Yep, that was what tick the crowd off.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 01:11 PM
The umpires let all players take gamesmanship bathroom breaks at odd times, extended injury timeouts for bogus injuries, banana breaks, water cooler breaks, finger rub breaks, it is nonsense. The umpires should be the one to step up and use some judgement.

skip1969
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
let's not sweat the french SO much that we have to give them three threads about why they like to boo so much.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
So let's see here:

The French booed Roddick because they paid big money to see a top-ranked player play some tennis and Roddick had to retire due to re-injuring his ankle, so they booed him because they don't like players copping out with the old injury excuse. It all comes down to THEM, not what's best for the players.

The French booed Nadal after defeating their local boy PHM because they paid big money to see a top-ranked player play some great tennis which the defending champ and his opponent did for 5+ hours but they booed anyway because the guy they wanted to win did not, even though he poured his heart and soul out there on the court and the fans got their money's worth which they complained they didn't get with the Roddick match.

Commentators: The French boo and act like pigs because they are knowledgable fans of tennis and they really know their tennis.

Well here's something for you Federer fan. When he tried to discontinue his match with Nadal last year after losing the 3rd set, he was booed. When he didn't get his wish he got nasty with his attitude afterwards and he even got some fans to call out while he was serving and when he complained about it he got booed again. But like you say, the French booing is because they're knowledgeable buffoons. To boo anyone but your boy Federer is ok, but if they boo him then the French are smug idiots. You can easily tell on these boards who are the Fed fans.

malakas
06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
The umpires let all players take gamesmanship bathroom breaks at odd times, extended injury timeouts for bogus injuries, banana breaks, water cooler breaks, finger rub breaks, it is nonsense. The umpires should be the one to step up and use some judgement.

Agree completely.

chess9
06-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Better to be safe than sorry, and if a player needs a few extra minutes in a brutal match, so be it. Fans are so bloody demanding. Maybe we should cut Nadal's legs off before his match to make it competitive. Bloody hell....

As for the French, have you seen the Dutch soccer fans? The English soccer fans? Maybe Brazil's soccer fans? Americans at a Super Bowl? Give men an opportunity to behave badly and they won't disappoint us....

-Robert

skip1969
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
As for the French, have you seen the Dutch soccer fans? The English soccer fans? Maybe Brazil's soccer fans? Americans at a Super Bowl? Give men an opportunity to behave badly and they won't disappoint us....
truer words were never spoken! but please, don't give ALL the credit to the men. women deserve a little, too.

you should see how the women in my gym talk about each other during cardio (gulp). i'm blushing as i write this.

malakas
06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
truer words were never spoken! but please, don't give ALL the credit to the men. women deserve a little, too.

you should see how the women in my gym talk about each other during cardio (gulp). i'm blushing as i write this.

I am so god damn sick of this completely silly and outdated stereotype!!!Why men exept from women to be always sweet-talking and not ever swear????Where,to anyone that doesn't know it yet,women also have hostile feelings and swears are the most direct way to express them!!Anyone who says to me again that I swear much for a girl I will smack him on the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mrgreen:

Ouf..had to take it off my chest.

Good day to you.:cool:

dmastous
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
So let's see here:

Let's not indict an entire country because of a few idiot fans (read: fanatics). Every country has idiot fans. Look at the Russian fans who rioted because the Russian World Cup team was beaten in Japan. Look at American fans in some cities that are burning cars and rioting when their team wins (???). Including one young lady here in Boston who was killed during a riot after the Red Sox got past the Yankees a couple years ago. (I know she was shot by a police officer in the confusion, but it wouldn't have happened if people had kept their heads)

Rataplan
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Yep, that was what tick the crowd off.
No, it wasn't. The crowd were busy booing and whistling before that.

It mostly happened when a line call was in favor of Rafael Nadal. A couple of times, Nadal went up to check a mark (and he was usually right to doubt it) because he was doubting a line call and he got booed for that. :rolleyes:
Even Guy Forget was saying on French tv that the crowd was wrong to do it and they had no reason to treat Nadal like that. Forget added that it's what a professional should do: check the mark if there is doubt and the crowd should know that.
Another commentator I was listening to said that he can understand that they're supporting their own player and they want to give him the full support but this is unacceptable behaviour from the crowd.
(by the way, the crowd was not really against Rafael Nadal IMO - I heard quite a few French voices supporting Nadal - -but a large part of the crowd simply got a bit carried away in their support of their own player).

dmastous
06-03-2006, 02:35 PM
There was a situation in last years French when Nadal was playing Grosjean, where Nadal did something in the 2nd or 3rd set that set the fans off and Nadal sort of lost his rhythm for that set and lost it. The set I mean.

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 02:44 PM
There was a situation in last years French when Nadal was playing Grosjean, where Nadal did something in the 2nd or 3rd set that set the fans off and Nadal sort of lost his rhythm for that set and lost it. The set I mean.

The crowd never booed Nadal in that match, they booed the umpire. Nadal did nothing wrong. Grosjean questioned a call but clearly didn't stop play immediately, and only did so after one of his shots landed long, then wanted a previous call over ruled in the point. After the umpire refused to look at the mark because SG continued play, the crowd threw a hissy fit as usual.

skip1969
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I am so god damn sick of this completely silly and outdated stereotype!!!Why men exept from women to be always sweet-talking and not ever swear????Where,to anyone that doesn't know it yet,women also have hostile feelings and swears are the most direct way to express them!!Anyone who says to me again that I swear much for a girl I will smack him on the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mrgreen:

my humble apologies, malakas, if you thought i was trying to perpetuate some out-dated, mysogynistic ideology on how women should behave in today's modern world. that was not my point at all.

for the record, i love to swear. i love women who swear. i love old people who swear. i have no problem with people acting like asses. so long as they don't act like asses every second of every day.

we were discussing a lack of etiquette on the part of the french crowd at roland garros. my point (and you can call me old-fashioned for this) was that tennis matches are not appropriate venues for people to act like asses.

Rataplan
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
It wasn't something Nadal did IMO. That's why that partisan crowd were so annoying in that match: after that episode, they started to cheer every time he made a mistak or his return went out or ended in the net or they would boo him and the umpire (who was the real evil guy according to the crowd) for the most silly reason.

In the middle of a point, Nadal played a point on the line but Grosjean thought it was out. Now, what Grosjean should have done was to stop the rally right then and there because if you continue playing the point, you forfeit your chance to protest.
But Grosjean didn't do that: he finished playing the point and only after that did he go to the umpire to make his protest and ask him to step down to check the mark. The umpire refused, telling Grosjean that he should have stopped the game right away and that's when that entire episode took place. He also got the crowd involved in it who started heckling mostly the umpire. That lasted ten minutes or so.
Nadal asked Grosjean to signal his home crowd to calm down but he ignored it, turned his back on Nadal, enjoying the moment and he even encouraged the crowd to continue.
It's only after ten minutes or so that he signaled the crowd to stop the whistling.

L'Equipe wrote an article about it, blasting the French crowd for their behaviour.

malakas
06-03-2006, 02:51 PM
my humble apologies, malakas, if you thought i was trying to perpetuate some out-dated, mysogynistic ideology on how women should behave in today's modern world. that was not my point at all.

for the record, i love to swear. i love women who swear. i love old people who swear. i have no problem with people acting like asses. so long as they don't act like asses every second of every day.

we were discussing a lack of etiquette on the part of the french crowd at roland garros. my point (and you can call me old-fashioned for this) was that tennis matches are not appropriate venues for people to act like asses.

Yes I agree with you.It is not the place to act like asses.But I like it better when the crowd is more appreciative and show their feelings.To show passion.Just not over the limits..With respect for the players,the umpire and the game..;)

framebreaker
06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
the french people like to express what's on their mind. thats absolutely ok.
they don't express wrong politeness. they have passion.

superman1
06-03-2006, 03:43 PM
A pretty good percentage of the French population just plain suck. It must feel pretty crappy to play 5 hours then walk off the court and have some people boo you because you choked on a banana.

tennis_nerd22
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Well here's something for you Federer fan. When he tried to discontinue his match with Nadal last year after losing the 3rd set, he was booed. When he didn't get his wish he got nasty with his attitude afterwards and he even got some fans to call out while he was serving and when he complained about it he got booed again. But like you say, the French booing is because they're knowledgeable buffoons. To boo anyone but your boy Federer is ok, but if they boo him then the French are smug idiots. You can easily tell on these boards who are the Fed fans.

lmao your ********... he was saying that it was bad that nadal got booed, how does that make him a fed fan? WOW

here's a lesson for you: dont smoke too many joints and then post here

superman1
06-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I hate this Grishnackh guy. What does Federer have to do with this thread? Who are these Fed fans you're talking of? You're an idiot.

dmastous
06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
The crowd never booed Nadal in that match, they booed the umpire. Nadal did nothing wrong. Grosjean questioned a call but clearly didn't stop play immediately, and only did so after one of his shots landed long, then wanted a previous call over ruled in the point. After the umpire refused to look at the mark because SG continued play, the crowd threw a hissy fit as usual.
I remember clearly the commentors made a big deal out of this being Nadal's first taste of the crowd being solidly against him (insert anti ESPN comments here). He had had a good clay season and had been the darling of Europe up to that point (not that he's not now) had simply hadn't seen that kind of reaction to that point. So how would he handle it? He lost that set, then gathered himself and won the match. He handled it fine in the end.
So it wasn't something he did, but the fans did get on him and I believe there were some boos during the games following that incident.

arosen
06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
The crowd was rooting for the homeboy big time, and when Rafa pulled his banana gamesmanship crap on Paul, that's when the mood turned totally sour. No surprises there. Just shows that Rafa will do anything and everything that's legal to win. He is an ultimate competitor, gotta give him credit for that.

knasty131
06-03-2006, 04:24 PM

haha i love how anytime something is said about nadal...even when it is TOTALLY off topic, someone will throw in a federer comment just to try and make nadal look better...its funny because its the same thing with federer fans...lol

dh003i
06-03-2006, 05:51 PM
arosen,

Well, tennis is supposed to be a gentleman's game, so I wouldn't say gamesmanship is great. So Nadal is not to be commended for that. On the other hand, Nadal also counters that by sometimes pointing out wrong calls against his favor.

Nor are temper-tantrums and McEnroe-ism commendable. And neither was Federer's racket-smashing. On the other hand, that's an exception, as he's generally gentlemanly and stoic.

The French crowd was just disgusting, though. If they didn't get their money's worth, I could understand booing. If, for example, I felt that a player pulled out of the match unexpectedly, and I'd paid very big money to be at the French Open, I'd be very ****ed. Wouldn't you? That is completely understandable.

It is perfectly reasonable that fans should feel they have the right to get their money's worth -- they're the customer, and that's what they're paying for, not a 1-game match that's ended. That said, if the player really is injured, not his fault. I think tennis tournaments ought to deal with this by offering money-back to paying customers when matches are clearly disappointing (e.g., don't go to the minimum length for a normal win).

However, fans have absolutely no right to expect that a certain player wins. That's not what they're paying for. This is a real sport -- not the WWF -- so you have no right to expect on particular side to win.

The Pusher Terminator
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Last year the French crowd really got a little crazy when Nadal beat Grosjean. History repeated itself today and Nadal was booed again. Maybe Nadal should be nicknamed the French terminator...LOL

VGP
06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
You answered your own question.

Grigollif1
06-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Because he took an injury time out, stating that he was chocking in some Banana...

Dude there are at least 3 Topics about this already..;)

vive le beau jeu !
06-03-2006, 06:05 PM
french crowd has already been rude in the past... especially hingis vs graf...... iit's true it was bad. :neutral:

but when nadal is on the court...... i definitely understand the boos : with all his repetitive ugly celebrations, he's definitely deserving that treatment......
if i was around the court, i would boo him each time he makes his agressive gestures ! :x

... and each time the topspinmonkey puts a banana in the wrong place ! :rolleyes:

dmastous
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
see this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102655

dh003i
06-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Count,

Hey, look at my past posts -- I'm a Federer fan, and I think the crowd's behavior sucks.

I can understand booing if they feel they don't get their money's worth. I'm probably going to go to the French Open and Wimbledon live at some point, and I'd be very ****ed if the match was "over" after 1 game. People should get a refund for any match that doesn't go to 3 sets (in a 5 set max; or that doesn't go to 2, in a 3 set max).

But fans have no right to expect "their" player to win. However, Nadal's gamesmanship isn't commendable, and before you start on your anti-Fed-fan rant, neither was Federer's racket-throwing. On the other hand, each makes up for it by generally being a sportsman.

This is why I like Wimbledon best. French Open should grow some balls and prevent this kind of crap, from both players and fans. They shouldn't allow gamesmanship, and unsportman-like conduct should be penalized. And if fans are being obnoxious, they should stop the match until fans behave.

Rataplan
06-03-2006, 06:43 PM
... and each time the topspinmonkey puts a banana in the wrong place ! :rolleyes:
He put the banana in his mouth...where do you usually stick a banana?

malakas
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
He put the banana in his mouth...where do you usually stick a banana?

ouch...:mrgreen:

mileslong
06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
american football fans are no where near as bad as soccer fans. soccer fans chant racist things, riot and even have had their players and some fans killed over stupid soccer games. im glad that only children and girls are interested in soccer in the us...

nadalgirl26
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I cried when I saw them boo him. That was so awful. He is sweetest and cutest and nicest boy out there, along with the best tennis player ever. It was disgusting they were not cheering for him, that was bad enough, cheering for some loser because he was from France is stupid, Nadal should be cheered for every match, it is all jealousy and bitterness. Still I was able to accept that as mad deep down as I was, but then they start to boo the wonderful gentle soft caring human being that is also the worlds best mens tennis player, that is horrable, terrable, hurtful, criminal. Everybody is jealous and bitter that Nadal is so great and they cant stand it, they cant stand that he cant lose any mathces anymore.

Breaker
06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
You cried? Literally or figuratively because that's kind of sad...

nadalgirl26
06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I literally cried, not just figuratively, literally.

malakas
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
american football fans are no where near as bad as soccer fans. soccer fans chant racist things, riot and even have had their players and some fans killed over stupid soccer games. im glad that only children and girls are interested in soccer in the us...

Yeah..but those children will grow up.;)
Also,it's false to generalize.Not all football fans are like this.Terrible accidents and deaths have happened.But not all the time.Usually after terrible accidents,usually things get so tight that these accidents don't happen again.Don't you think that with the english hooligans there would be deaths everyday?
If you think that football is all about racist songs,riots and fans killed,then sorry to say this but you don't know anything about football.:(
With regards.

malakas
06-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I literally cried, not just figuratively, literally.

Oh dear..Lister,it is just a game..You shouldn't care so much about them.After all they are the ones who get all the fame and money!
Don't worry about them.:|

Max G.
06-03-2006, 07:07 PM
It is perfectly reasonable that fans should feel they have the right to get their money's worth -- they're the customer, and that's what they're paying for, not a 1-game match that's ended. That said, if the player really is injured, not his fault. I think tennis tournaments ought to deal with this by offering money-back to paying customers when matches are clearly disappointing (e.g., don't go to the minimum length for a normal win).

Hard to justify that though.

Every day there are four matches on court Chatrier, four matches on Lenglen stadium, plus four matches per outside court.

In what case do you refund money? If any one of the four matches on Chatrier go less than expected? If any of the eight matches on either of the two main courts go less than expected?

There are many more matches than just one that go on - it's not like it was a day cut short by rain or anything. There was about one hour less of tennis than expected on Lenglen (Only 9 sets played instead of 10), and Chatrier had a perfectly good day, with 13 sets of tennis played. And of course, there were plenty of matches on outside courts as well - Roddick wasn't even the highest mens tennis player in action that day, Ljubicic was also playing. Seems like the crowd got their money's worth - one set cut out of one match does not make an entire day.

brolycjw
06-03-2006, 08:14 PM
My stand was neutral at the start of the match, but I ended up rooting for nadal because I wanted the french crowd to feel bad to have their player lose because of their horrible behaviour.

D-man
06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
guyz, the french crowd has been like this like forever...

LN_Dad
06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
This is nothing compared to the south american fans who show up for their teams' Davis cup matches with drums and bullhorns. They're pretty close to soccer hooligans.

ErwinFromParis
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I m not a fan of the 'classic' patriotic supporter attitude whatever is the sport. I think it sucks. BTW, I didn't watch the match Nadal-Mathieu, but:

it's not the first time we have this debat here, I don't think the too much passionned attitude is a French exclusivity = I think it is a standard "Latin" behaviour. I remember the Davis cup final in Spain, it was way much harder for the yankees... I remember myself thinking "God! may roddick win this match to shut their mouth!!" eventhough I m not a roddick fan...

At the opposite we have the British contained attitude we see at Wimbledon. Just respect, but it's passion that makes those latin countries so much interesting. Everyone has to cultivate its own difference. That's what makes life valuable.

MR. 81
06-04-2006, 01:31 AM
OK guys her's what Nadal said about the incident.

"A pie de pista, todavía caliente, atendió a Àlex Corretja, en labor de comentarista de TVE, y no se cortó un pelo. “Me atraganto con el plátano y encima me pitan estos cabrones. Y que te piten al final jode”. Y es que el partido tuvo de todo. Con 5-4 y sacando con 15-15 en el tercer set, Nadal paró de repente y solicitó ayuda médica. “Un trocito de plátano se me había quedado en la garganta. Podía respirar, pero la sensación era extraña. Primero pensé que era mejor no detener el juego porque podía dar mala imagen, pero sólo estaba pendiente del cuello y además me asusté. Así que me dije, para, no tengamos una desgracia”."

“On the court, still hot blooded, he was interviewed by Alex Corretja, who works for TVE, and was very critical. “I'm choking with a banana and these buggers (don't know the exact translation but pretty offensive word)boo me. And being booded at the end of the macth really annoys me”. The match didn't lack anything. With 5-4 and serving with 15-15 in the third set, Nadal stopped suddenly and asked for medical aid. “A little piece of banana I had stayed in my throat. I could breathe, but the sensation was strange. First I thought that it was better not to stop the game because it could give bad image, but I was only pending of the neck and in addition I was scared. So I said myself, stop, so we do not have a misfortune”.”

Defcon
06-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Is there anyone who actually likes the French :D

I think some of the boo's were well deserved, esp when Nadal starts pointing to non-existent marks.

Matt Riordan
06-04-2006, 02:18 AM
...seeeing as it's that time of year... try going to google and typing in French Military Victories. Then hit the I Feel Lucky button instead of search.

Vive la France! :)

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 02:38 AM
I agree. The French are the worst. That incident with Justine raising the hand during Serena's serve. When Serena asked for 2 serves and was denied, the fans booed Serena. I am no Serena fan but the fans need to understand the situation. They just kept booing like idiots. Totally classless.

as bad as the french are, THIS was one of my favourite moments in tennis.

but if i was playing, i think id just laugh when they boo.. :-P

Dilettante
06-04-2006, 02:42 AM
they would never boo roger as they boo the topspinmonkey...... and it's normal ! nadal's attitude is provocating the boos...

Thousands like this, that is.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-04-2006, 02:42 AM
I couldnt stand Serena on her attitude EVER so my heart did not break when the French fans harassed her a bit in 2003, sorry if that sounds cruel.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Thousands like this, that is.
thousands hate this, that is. ;)

some applaude as they like it, ok.
some boo as they hate it, ok.

no smoke without fire !

Docalex007
06-04-2006, 03:53 AM
I didn't have a problem with the French crowd at all, you guys are just too sensitive with these issues. They were out there supporting their guy....by any means necessary! Those are the advantages you get when playing in your own country in front of your own countrymen. If Nadal makes an error, why NOT celebrate, after all, it IS a point for the French guy which is....uhh....a GOOD thing right? :rolleyes:

You guys are nothing but tennis babies, no wonder everyone thinks tennis is such a "must be civilised and calm" sport that is only played by "weaklings".

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:15 AM
I didn't have a problem with the French crowd at all, you guys are just too sensitive with these issues. They were out there supporting their guy....by any means necessary! Those are the advantages you get when playing in your own country in front of your own countrymen. If Nadal makes an error, why NOT celebrate, after all, it IS a point for the French guy which is....uhh....a GOOD thing right? :rolleyes:
well i might not be the good sample... because i'm not very patriotic... and because i would even boo nadal if i was at tomorrow c'mon vs vamos dogfight... or even if he was french or if i was spanish ! ;)

and as i previously said... i found the crowd already rude on some other occasions (ex: hingis vs graf)... but when it deals with the topspinmonkey, i looove this rudeness ! :rolleyes:

cool_sport23
06-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Stupid! french

dukemunson
06-04-2006, 08:32 AM
tennis players (and most of the fans) are much to sensitive...in every other sport (outside of golf) the fans are encouraged to do whatever they can to distract and get into the minds of the team or player they don't like or are rooting against. While a bit weak to cheer vehemently when a player double faults, is it that much different then going crazy when someone misses a free throw in basketball. Tennis allready prevents any noise during a point, if anything we should encourage as much noise and passion after the point as possible. I can't believe Im saying it but emulation of the French fans would be a great thing for tennis...

dh003i
06-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Mr. 81,

Here's the Babble Fish translation of what Nadal said (from AltaVista). I thought it was pretty funny. Clearly, we no-longer need translators (lol):

"I choke myself with the banana and above these toot to me cabrones. And that toots jode in the end to you."

yo_3133
06-04-2006, 09:14 AM
i'm not trying to defend the french crowd, and yes i'm a fed fan, but you can't blame just the french crowd(i'm not french):mrgreen:
Nadal's attitude on court is just annoying, if you celebrate 1 pont jumping like that you can bet your a** i get annoyed if i'm playing against him, and even more if i'm part od the crowd watching a player from my country. An d i would get even more angry if someone stopped the match bcause he choke with a banana!
French crowd may be the worst but i think nadal also provokes part of that reaction. It's time for him to grow up and have what he lacks of: class. I'm sure that if it was him the one who was being cheered ang mathieu was booed in spain he wouln't have done anything

Defcon
06-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I can bet anything that Federer will never get booed by any crowd, yes even the French. That's what happens when you have class, dignity and are well liked - you earn respect from both players and fans.

MR. 81
06-04-2006, 10:13 AM
i'm not trying to defend the french crowd, and yes i'm a fed fan, but you can't blame just the french crowd(i'm not french):mrgreen:
Nadal's attitude on court is just annoying, if you celebrate 1 pont jumping like that you can bet your a** i get annoyed if i'm playing against him, and even more if i'm part od the crowd watching a player from my country. An d i would get even more angry if someone stopped the match bcause he choke with a banana!
French crowd may be the worst but i think nadal also provokes part of that reaction. It's time for him to grow up and have what he lacks of: class. I'm sure that if it was him the one who was being cheered ang mathieu was booed in spain he wouln't have done anything

So class means not celebrating points. Or letting a banana choke you when you're serving for the set.

Nadal shows his feelings and tries to motivate himself, he doesn't intend to provoke the crowd. He does the sames gestures when he plays in Spain.

I find this accusations pathetic. Both Nadal and Federer are classy guys.

MR. 81
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Mr. 81,

Here's the Babble Fish translation of what Nadal said (from AltaVista). I thought it was pretty funny. Clearly, we no-longer need translators (lol):

"I choke myself with the banana and above these toot to me cabrones. And that toots jode in the end to you."

Yeah that is a perfect translation...save perhaps for cabrones and jode which are slang english ;)

dh003i
06-04-2006, 10:17 AM

Well, apparently, some people find Nadal more annoying than Monfils (who I think is downright obnoxious and barbaric). Celebrating after every minor point does seem a bit much.

dmastous
06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I can bet anything that Federer will never get booed by any crowd, yes even the French. That's what happens when you have class, dignity and are well liked - you earn respect from both players and fans.
I'll take that bet. What have you got?
Fan(atics) don't respect anything. Yes many fans, such as myself, will respect dignity and class, but most of those fans will also act with dignity and class. The ones that are booing don't know how to spell dignity & class let alone know what it is when they see it. They just want to see blood.
I would guarrantee that Federer finds himself booed for something so undignified as beating a Frenchman in the French Open or an American in the US Open.

dora_75
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I like the passion and adversity in any sport! So what if the fans are booing, GET OVER IT! That's the mark of a champion! I don't get it why you compare the crowd with hooligans, do you know what a hooligan is???

You see this is my problems with sports in US, the crowd is too damn polite, show some fire and suport your countryman. Did you go to baseball games ar american footbal ... pathetic crowd support. In fact this is the problem in tennis, as I see many people on this board complain TOO MUCH about every damn thing, ths guy picked his arse, this one takes to much time, blah blah blah ... be polite blah blah blah etc. . Nothing is perfect in the world, where do you live???

dmastous
06-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I like the passion and adversity in any sport! So what if the fans are booing, GET OVER IT! That's the mark of a champion! I don't get it why you compare the crowd with hooligans, do you know what a hooligan is???

You see this is my problems with sports in US, the crowd is too damn polite, show some fire and suport your countryman. Did you go to baseball games ar american footbal ... pathetic crowd support. In fact this is the problem in tennis, as I see many people on this board complain TOO MUCH about every damn thing, ths guy picked his arse, this one takes to much time, blah blah blah ... be polite blah blah blah etc. . Nothing is perfect in the world, where do you live???
Guilty as charged. I'm a pathetic fan. I don't berate opponents, or boo them. I just support the team I follow without hate for it's opponents.
It takes all kinds. I am what I am and you are what you are.
Vive la Différence!

tangerine
06-04-2006, 11:03 AM
You know the crowd is behaving badly when even the nicest guy on tour, James Blake, complains about their rudeness and aggression. James said for the most part the crowd was OK but it was that 1% that ruins it for everyone else.

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Well, apparently, some people find Nadal more annoying than Monfils (who I think is downright obnoxious and barbaric). Celebrating after every minor point does seem a bit much.

Someone should call security on this poster, it won't be long before he is seeking out Nadal to put a knife in his back for his beloved #1.

dmastous
06-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I cried when I saw them boo him. That was so awful. He is sweetest and cutest and nicest boy out there, along with the best tennis player ever. It was disgusting they were not cheering for him, that was bad enough, cheering for some loser because he was from France is stupid, Nadal should be cheered for every match, it is all jealousy and bitterness. Still I was able to accept that as mad deep down as I was, but then they start to boo the wonderful gentle soft caring human being that is also the worlds best mens tennis player, that is horrable, terrable, hurtful, criminal. Everybody is jealous and bitter that Nadal is so great and they cant stand it, they cant stand that he cant lose any mathces anymore.
I'm sorry, but I must point out your comment here;
"cheering for some loser because he was from France"
While he lost the match Mathieu is by no means "some loser" he played great match against a better player. Your lack of respect for Mathieu is coming from the same place that many of the French boos came from. Your heart. You of all people should understand that.

dh003i
06-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Someone should call security on this poster, it won't be long before he is seeking out Nadal to put a knife in his back for his beloved #1.

That's an aggregious insult, even as a joke.

I pointed out that Nadal celebrates after every point, and some people find that more obnoxious than Monfils barbaric witch-doctor celebration dances (see the thread on Monfils, I commented there too).

That hardly constitutes some kind of hatred. I very much hope Nadal gets to the final at the FO, because it wouldn't be the same for Federer winning the FO if against anyone other than Nadal.

But you're just a paranoid nutcase.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
That's an aggregious insult, even as a joke.

I pointed out that Nadal celebrates after every point, and some people find that more obnoxious than Monfils barbaric witch-doctor celebration dances (see the thread on Monfils, I commented there too).

That hardly constitutes some kind of hatred. I very much hope Nadal gets to the final at the FO, because it wouldn't be the same for Federer winning the FO if against anyone other than Nadal.

But you're just a paranoid nutcase.Holler might be Joe Pike. At least the "knife" comment and the tone makes it seem that way. Keep an eye on the lookout folks.

skip1969
06-04-2006, 11:57 AM
tennis players (and most of the fans) are much to sensitive...in every other sport (outside of golf) the fans are encouraged to do whatever they can to distract and get into the minds of the team or player they don't like or are rooting against. While a bit weak to cheer vehemently when a player double faults, is it that much different then going crazy when someone misses a free throw in basketball. Tennis allready prevents any noise during a point, if anything we should encourage as much noise and passion after the point as possible. I can't believe Im saying it but emulation of the French fans would be a great thing for tennis...
you make a valid point. in just about every sport, there is always that talk about 'getting the fans involved' . . . 'the twelfth man' . . . etc. if it weren't so bloody important, then why are teams always going on and on about 'home field/ice/court advantage'?? playing in front of your own fans/support is SUPPOSED to be an advantage . . . maybe even an unfair advantage sometimes, but there it is. in america, teams play entire seasons to get that 'advantage'!

now, as with everything in life, there will always be people/fans who step over that imaginary line and do things that the rest of us would not do. but that doesn't make it a bad thing, in and of itself. tbere are drunk drivers on the road, but that doesn't make driving a bad thing. there are religious zealots, but most people would say that religion is a good thing. there are disrespectful, rude, fans in the stands. but that doesn't make you standing up and cheering for your man/woman a bad thing.

skip1969
06-04-2006, 12:19 PM

i'm gonna agree with dora on this one. a fan can be passionate, a fan can be a hooligan . . . but just because you are one, doesn't mean you are the other. that would be a silly generalization.

the culture of professional sport in the us is very different than the culture of sport in other countries. and to the eyes of outsiders who look at american sport, the fans are about as spoiled as the athletes. i think collegiate sports is an exception to this rule, but in the us, fans seem a lot more passive and apathetic. they cheer a little, but spend most of their time sitting on their hands. they yell and scream, but when their team goes behind or the game is lost, they run towards the exits so they can rush to their cars and 'avoid the traffic rush.' in other countries, these things seem completely unthinkable. it's a symbol of your love and devotion to your team that you support them to the very end . . . even when they're getting their butts kicked. in soccer, it is a mark of your passion and pride that you stand and cheer your club, even when all hope is lost. it would be a disservice to them if you did otherwise. but in latin american countries, in europe, africa, etc. . . teams are so much a part of the fabric of cities, regions, communities. people live and die for their sports clubs.

having said that, it is unfortunate when people take that mantra too literally, and folks get hurt or killed during a sporting contest. but the sporting culture is entirely different there. in america, if your team loses . . . you jump into your nice suv and go home, turn on your dvr or your cable tv, and occupy yourself with more important pursuits. in other countries, your team loses, and . . . well . . . your team loses. YOU lose. and you don't have anything else to distract you from that fact. because you are (in many ways) defined by the success or failure of your team.

now, that might sound strange, or sad, or extreme or pathetic to some of you. . . but that's the way it is. people tend to take sport VERY seriously in other parts of the globe. so much so, that it makes the american attitude toward sport seem . . . well, pretty wishy-washy and . . . less than noble.

i know i've simplified it a bit, but i hope you get the drift. the so-called "passion" of fans is very, very relative.

dora_75
06-04-2006, 12:21 PM
you make a valid point. in just about every sport, there is always that talk about 'getting the fans involved' . . . 'the twelfth man' . . . etc. if it weren't so bloody important, then why are teams always going on and on about 'home field/ice/court advantage'?? playing in front of your own fans/support is SUPPOSED to be an advantage . . . maybe even an unfair advantage sometimes, but there it is. in america, teams play entire seasons to get that 'advantage'!

now, as with everything in life, there will always be people/fans who step over that imaginary line and do things that the rest of us would not do. but that doesn't make it a bad thing, in and of itself. tbere are drunk drivers on the road, but that doesn't make driving a bad thing. there are religious zealots, but most people would say that religion is a good thing. there are disrespectful, rude, fans in the stands. but that doesn't make you standing up and cheering for your man/woman a bad thing.

2 good points. I agree with both of you :-D

dh003i
06-04-2006, 12:30 PM
well, we have football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and other sports where people act like barbarians.

Can't we at least have two civilized sports -- golf and tennis -- where people act like gentlemen and gentlewomen?

Polaris
06-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Read carefully before launching into a tirade. Tangerine was implying that the commentators made excuses for the French crowd. The website in tangerine's signature should tell you clearly who he/she supports. You come across as a careless poster who will benefit from devila's company in my Ignore List.

baros
06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
most likely because of the bannana inncodent.
________
F-550 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_F-550)

dh003i
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Max G.,

Thanks for that explanation. I can see your point. Unless there's something really wack that happens, isn't worth it for refund (imagine all of the headache!)

I haven't been to a live tournament, but being from the US, I was just imagining how ticked I'd be if I travelled to Roland Garros or Wimbledon, and didn't feel like I got my money's worth. But since you're getting many matches, the odds of that are very unlikely!

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
What did they do to Blake?

d_frank
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Maybe because he beat a guy from their country. Notice how Matheiu AND Grosjean are both from France..

malakas
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
The "double post police" are wrong. My post is regards not only to the latest booing by the French but also last years booing during the Grojean match and current TW frenchman ...all who hate Nadal. In fact did you see what the French did to Blake? Boy I thought the NY crowd was bad. No wonder Yanick Noah won the french open!

??Sorry,but you say that the crowd made Noah win??

BabolatFan
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Last year the French crowd really got a little crazy when Nadal beat Grosjean. History repeated itself today and Nadal was booed again. Maybe Nadal should be nicknamed the French terminator...LOL
More like a banana swallower. :lol:

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
What did they do to Blake?
well... really nothing remarkable...
and it's logical : nadal got what he deserved... while james gets the respect of the crowd because he's a classy player. :)

by the way, funny idea from blake to use a spectator for showing the mark !!! ;)

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I think that they get carried away when they're supporting their own players but the other players shouldn't take it personally (easy to say, I know) probably.

It reminds me of Lance Armstrong winning their Tour de France several times while it had been so long ago since a French guy won it. I remember Lance saying that he was spat at during the stages, insulted, booed,...

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
well... really nothing remarkable...
and it's logical : nadal got what he deserved... while james gets the respect of the crowd because he's a classy player. :):rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply, but you're biased as hell against Nadal so could somebody else fill in the blanks please?

The reason why I ask is that I read a reaction from Blake about a section of the crowd that was simply too much and he did seem annoyed by that (James...remember the J Block at the USO?) but I don't know what that was all about because I did not see the entire match.

And yes, that time when he asked a guy from the crowd to check the mark for him was great to watch.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply, but you're biased as hell against Nadal so could somebody else fill in the blanks please?

The reason why I ask is that I read a reaction from Blake about a section of the crowd that was simply too much and he did seem annoyed by that (James...remember the J Block at the USO?) but I don't know what that was all about because I did not see the entire match.

And yes, that time where he asked a guy from the crowd to check the mark for him was great to watch.
well, i don't deny to be... slightly biaised about the topspinmonkey... :rolleyes:
about a section of the crowd behaving bad, i definitely believe you... it happens often at paris indoors also... and even against french players ! (stupid ppl coming from the suburb of paris, generally)

PS: what's the J Block ?

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 04:21 PM
well, i don't deny to be... slightly biaised about the topspinmonkey... :rolleyes:
about a section of the crowd behaving bad, i definitely believe you... it happens often at paris indoors also... and even against french players !
Slightly biased. :p (but hey, I appreciate that you can admit it)

Didn't the crowd boo Monfils during the first match against Murray (because - or so I'm told - they thought it was a terrible match)? I really don't get why you would boo this kid after having played 5 sets.

PS: what's the J Block ?
James Block, the supporter's team of Blake.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Didn't the crowd boo Monfils during the first match against Murray (because - or so I'm told - they thought it was a terrible match)? I really don't get why you would boo this kid after having played 5 sets.
i only saw the beginning of the match so i don't know...... but that's possible, and altough i heard it was indeed a boring match (!), i don't excuse that behaviour at all ! ;)

makes me remember about a beautiful 3rd finger (not sure how you say that in english) :mrgreen: shown by pioline to the crowd as he was leaving the court at paris bercy... there was indeed an insane section of the crowd boring him that evening... :neutral:

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 04:40 PM
makes me remember about a beautiful 3rd finger (not sure how you say that in english) :mrgreen: shown by pioline to the crowd as he was leaving the court at paris bercy... there was indeed an insane section of the crowd boring him that evening... :neutral:
He did? Good on Pioline.

English isn't my first language but I believe the expression is "showing the middle finger" but I've heard people say "flipping the bird" (or...er...is that about another part of the human anatomy?...not too sure about that one ;) )

Rodical
06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I totally agree when James asked a guy from the crowd to check the mark because i don't appreciate the attitude of the french crowd. For a question they start booing the players except when it's a french player who ask a question. Even Nadal is beeing booed, it's incredible.

Rodical
06-04-2006, 04:56 PM
The French crowd hates Nadal because they want their french players to win especially Gasquet who has the same age and is not so good as Nadal.

yo_3133
06-04-2006, 04:57 PM
So class means not celebrating points. Or letting a banana choke you when you're serving for the set.

Nadal shows his feelings and tries to motivate himself, he doesn't intend to provoke the crowd. He does the sames gestures when he plays in Spain.

I find this accusations pathetic. Both Nadal and Federer are classy guys.
you didn't get my point
it's ok to celebraste points, but its different to jump all around the court celebrating and screaming

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I totally agree when James asked a guy from the crowd to check the mark because i don't appreciate the attitude of the french crowd. For a question they start booing the players except when it's a french player who ask a question. Even Nadal is beeing booed, it's incredible.
Even Nadal ????? :shock:
you mean another player, don't you ?... :confused:

because if there's one player in the galaxy that deserves the boos... it's the hysterical topspinmonkey !

PS: yes, i liked james when he asked the guy the come on the court, will be a good souvenir for this spectator ! :)

pswami
06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I have no problem with any crowd booing anybody. That's the spirit of the game. The only time I have a problem with it is when it directly insults or harms the player (when it crosses "the line"). Examples:
-Philadelphia Eagles fans cheering when Michael Irvin suffered his career-ending injury.
-People throwing syringes at Barry Bonds when he walks out onto the field.
-Some fan who threw beer at Ron Artest last year.

Therefore, I'll have no qualms about any tennis fans booing anyone. On the other hand, if people start throwing banana peels at Nadal during his next match... ;)

TheNatural
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
mabe a few english soccer hooligans made their way into the crowd? lol

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 05:45 PM

put the steroids away, ok?

TheNatural
06-04-2006, 05:48 PM
answer= because they're French.

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM

Nadalgirl26 - I love reading your posts, every one of them is a lesson in fairness, equity and objectivity. Your even-handed support of every player, irrespective of who they are and where they come from is fantastic.

I must confess, I too cried when they boo-ed Nadal, as I often do when teenage millionaires are boo-ed, their lives really are much tougher than they look. Personally, I feel the struggles they have are lessened by our tears.

Andres
06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Maybe because he beat a guy from their country. Notice how Matheiu AND Grosjean are both from France..
Exactly. ;)

Do you think the US Open crowd doesn't boo the guys who beat the americans?

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
The French is a tough crowd but Nadal can't complain, he did quite a few things that were questionable and annoying not only to the fans but to his oppenent.

It was not a classic match either, it was a good long match but nothing great!

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Nadalgirl26 - I love reading your posts, every one of them is a lesson in fairness, equity and objectivity. Your even-handed support of every player, irrespective of who they are and where they come from is fantastic.

I must confess, I too cried when they boo-ed Nadal, as I often do when teenage millionaires are boo-ed, their lives really are much tougher than they look. Personally, I feel the struggles they have are lessened by our tears.

Nadal isn't anywhere being the best tennis player ever and also he contributed to the way the crowd reacted. I wonder how old some of you are? You sound like young teenage girls lmao!

superman1
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
He was being sarcastic. Nadalgirl is obviously a psychopath, and I see no use in actually reading her posts. Same with tlm, and some of the other hardcore Nadal nuts.

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Nadal isn't anywhere being the best tennis player ever and also he contributed to the way the crowd reacted. I wonder how old some of you are? You sound like young teenage girls lmao!

Ummm - have you *ever* heard of irony? Maybe re-read my post from the most ironic standpoint you can assume... it was a complete p1ss-take, and I'm slightly depressed that I have to point that out :/

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Ah well I don't spend much time on here because I have a life. I don't know who you are, if you read your post you sound just like a teenage girl. The irony is knowing how much you disagree with what Nadalgirl said, but if somebody didn't know you, you sounded just like her!

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
He was being sarcastic. Nadalgirl is obviously a psychopath, and I see no use in actually reading her posts. Same with tlm, and some of the other hardcore Nadal nuts.

Thank god someone got it!

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Ah well I don't spend much time on here because I have a life.

Gee, umm, thanks for that attempt at a slap.

I don't know who you are

Correct. So maybe don't insinuate that I don't have a life, given you don't know me and all. Thanks :)

dmastous
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Add them to the hard core Federer nuts and you've can keep up with things much easier. :p

superman1
06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I've never seen any hardcore Federer nuts on this board. If praising Federer's talents and calling him the best ever makes you a Federer nut, then I guess John McEnroe and all the commentators and most people in the tennis world are probably Fed nuts.

OrangeOne
06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Add them to the hard core Federer nuts and you've can keep up with things much easier. :p

Can we get a nut-filter? ;)

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Gee, umm, thanks for that attempt at a slap.

Correct. So maybe don't insinuate that I don't have a life, given you don't know me and all. Thanks :)

Hey you came across as a jerk, i'm just calling you on it buddy!

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Actually, no, the US Open doesn't boo people just because they beat Americans, they appreciate great tennis. The French are the worst tennis crowd in the world. Not only do they boo players who beat their own, but they boo French players who get beaten badly as well. Mary Pierce got booed....

I don't think so much the French don't like Nadal as much as it was they root for the underdog, and when the underdog is a Frenchman, then its even worse. But booing someone even if they check a mark is just ridiculous. Luckily it didn't effect the outcome of the match for Nadal. I just hope the crowd is fair to Djokovic when he plays Monfils.

P.S. - we will be able to tell if the French truly hate Nadal if they are rooting for Hewitt strongly in that match. Everyone in the world hates Hewitt, even most of Australia, so if the French are pulling for him, then Nadal is gonna have more than just Federer to deal with in the final.

Viper
06-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Simple answer: He's not French.

Dilettante
06-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Simple answer: He's not French.

I also think they don't like so many Spaniards winning or making finals in Roland Garros during the recent years.

malakas
06-05-2006, 02:40 AM
put the steroids away, ok?

?????????????:confused:

sureshs
06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
From AP report on Nadal-Hewitt match:
----------------------------------------------

And not once did Nadal choke on a banana -- a problem that forced an interruption for a visit from a doctor during his third-round marathon.

"I'm not going to stop eating bananas," Nadal said. "But I ate them more carefully than usual."