PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow strap

katone
06-03-2006, 10:22 AM
to any1 who have had tennis elbow, what s a good one to releive pain plz? :neutral:

nViATi
06-03-2006, 04:21 PM
They aren't a good idea. Wait until your elbow is fully healed before hitting again or you'll worsen it.

Court_Jester
06-03-2006, 04:25 PM
There is no better remedy than complete rest. In the mean time, you may take Aleve or any generic pain medication that contains naproxen sodium.

CJ

katone
06-04-2006, 02:34 PM
rest... argh. i cant just stop playing! :|
how long would i have to rest? days? weeks? months?

Midlife crisis
06-04-2006, 02:48 PM
to any1 who have had tennis elbow, what s a good one to releive pain plz? :neutral:

These don't "relieve pain". What they do is prevent you from tensing your muscles fully. This may help reduce the pain in your elbow, but if you have faulty technique or equipment which may cause this to be a problem, you'll still be doing continuing damage to your elbow until you get that corrected.

Court_Jester
06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
how long would i have to rest? days? weeks? months?
Until the pain is gone. :mad: Depending on how chronic the pain is, recovery can be as long as eight weeks or even more.

However, having said that, complete rest doesn't mean complete inactivity. You need to keep your arm and elbow active but don't do activities that may aggravate your condition (like playing tennis). Do some strengthening exercises like wrist curls and extensions using low weights (1-3 lbs for starters).

CJ

katone
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I ve been playing for more than 20 years, i don t know why all of a sudden this elbow pain strikes me.. it s not too bad for now, i just dont want it to aggravate.
I recently changed strings, I use an hybrid nylon/poly. maybe that could be it?..

I guess I ll take it easy for a few weeks and only play a couple times/week to see how the pain evolves and if starts feeling a bit better.

thanks all.

Court_Jester
06-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I recently changed strings, I use an hybrid nylon/poly. maybe that could be it?..
Assuming that you haven't changed your techniques, the culprit must be the strings. Polys are known to cause TE for many people. Just switch back to your old strings or use multis.

CJ

Midlife crisis
06-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I ve been playing for more than 20 years, i don t know why all of a sudden this elbow pain strikes me.. it s not too bad for now, i just dont want it to aggravate.

I guess I ll take it easy for a few weeks and only play a couple times/week to see how the pain evolves and if starts feeling a bit better.

thanks all.

It could also just be that you're older now and it takes longer to recover. I'm in my mid-40's and stuff that I could easily recover from in a day now takes two or three.

katone
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Assuming that you haven't changed your techniques, the culprit must be the strings. Polys are known to cause TE for many people. Just switch back to your old strings or use multis.
CJ
sorry, my current setup is nylon/multi. the only difference from before is that I added nylon gosen on the mains to avoid having to change my strings every week or so... i m a bad case of string breaker
oh well, bummer, i gotta stop playing for a while. i really want this elbow to heal.

DragonFly
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
sorry, my current setup is nylon/multi. the only difference from before is that I added nylon gosen on the mains to avoid having to change my strings every week or so... i m a bad case of string breaker
oh well, bummer, i gotta stop playing for a while. i really want this elbow to heal.

Smart move, I know lots of people that need to take stress of their arm, but don't want to stop plating tennis, and end up injuring themselves. Go get it checked out, and rest up, just remember to keep limber with arm stretches and wrist excercises when you are recovered.

Viper
06-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Just rest the arm simple as that. You didnt even need to waste money on a dumb strap either!