PDA

View Full Version : The Secret to Nadals...dare i say..defeat

darknight08
06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
After I saw Nadal play against Federer and other people, especially today, i think i may have found out how to beat this guy. But first....

Why is Nadal so good? Well, of course it takes about 4 capable winner shots to actually win a point. Nadal uses his speed.

But what would happen if Nadal looses that speed or even for a bit. What happens if he gets winded? Then, It might start taking about 2 or even 1 capable winning shot to seal the deal.

So whats the secret?

Drop Shots. PLay along with him hitting deep balls, hit a dropshot and watch him sprint to the net. Finish it off with a volley or whatever. Now watch the next rally. I bet he wont be as fast, hes ofcourse not superman. It might not take a full effect early but what If the opponent continues doing this...imagine the full effect later on in the 3rd? 4th set? or 5th?

I dont think Mathieu did enough drop shots against Nadal.

You have to use his greatest weapon against him.

malakas
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Well if Federer watched this match,he must have drawn some interesting conclusions..;)

Andres
06-03-2006, 10:53 AM
OMG! Now I know how to beat Nadal!
Is it too late to join RG? It is?
Damn... heh, well... next year ;)

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I thought Mathieu stayed back too much, come foward and smash the forehand.

unjugon
06-03-2006, 11:15 AM
You donīt think Mathieu attacked enough with this forehand? Wilander was saying how it was one of the best and most effective forehands he had ever seen, really hard to predict where he was going with the shot, going mid spin, heavy spin, opening up the court, flatenning it out down the line, etc etc

MR. 81
06-03-2006, 11:16 AM
OMG! Now I know how to beat Nadal!
Is it too late to join RG? It is?
Damn... heh, well... next year ;)

And what if you have a bad draw and you don't play against him? Tell me Andres how will you win that one? :mrgreen:

Andres
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
And what if you have a bad draw and you don't play against him? Tell me Andres how will you win that one? :mrgreen:
I'll ask to the tourney's director to play Nadal in 1st.

He'll look at me like: "What? You wanna play Nadal on clay on 1st round!? That's suicide! Ok, deal!" Muehehe, Nadal won't ever see it coming... :twisted:

MR. 81
06-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll ask to the tourney's director to play Nadal in 1st.

He'll look at me like: "What? You wanna play Nadal on clay on 1st round!? That's suicide! Ok, deal!" Muehehe, Nadal won't ever see it coming... :twisted:

I will call your tactic the "Banana Backstabbing" :mrgreen:

siber222000
06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
nah.. i think nadal only did like 12 net play when mathieu did like 46 and more

Andres
06-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I will call your tactic the "Banana Backstabbing" :mrgreen:
I prefer "Banana Impaling" ;)

But... where is the DropShot in the name? :mrgreen:

Max G.
06-03-2006, 11:43 AM
After I saw Nadal play against Federer and other people, especially today, i think i may have found out how to beat this guy. But first....

Why is Nadal so good? Well, of course it takes about 4 capable winner shots to actually win a point. Nadal uses his speed.

But what would happen if Nadal looses that speed or even for a bit. What happens if he gets winded? Then, It might start taking about 2 or even 1 capable winning shot to seal the deal.

So whats the secret?

Drop Shots. PLay along with him hitting deep balls, hit a dropshot and watch him sprint to the net. Finish it off with a volley or whatever. Now watch the next rally. I bet he wont be as fast, hes ofcourse not superman. It might not take a full effect early but what If the opponent continues doing this...imagine the full effect later on in the 3rd? 4th set? or 5th?

You know, a drop shot is a pretty hard shot to pull off. You make it sound like it's that easy - "oh, all you have to do is hit a dropshot and then put away the easy volley, do that for two sets and then you'll tire him out". But Dropshots are VERY hard to pull off when you're not in good position. Especially when Nadal's hitting his incredible topspin.

And since he's fast, it takes a damn good dropshot to win the point against him - if you screw up, you'll end up being passed if you come to net or, if you stay back, counter-dropshot.

And of course, hitting a dropshot actually means the point is going to be SHORTER - the point is almost guaranteed to be over within 2-3 shots after the dropshot, whereas with a baseline rally it can go on for ages and ages. So by dropshotting, you're actually fatiguing Nadal LESS than you would by running him around from the baseline. Plus you're giving away lots of free points, since you're trying a difficult play way too often, making it pretty low-percentage. And giving away free points also makes the match shorter.

MR. 81
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I prefer "Banana Impaling" ;)

But... where is the DropShot in the name? :mrgreen:

You're right I completely messed it up :mad:
Probably because I realised earlier on that the real strategy to beat him must involve a carefully placed banana (easier to make it look like an accident than vive le beau jeu's shotgun choice)

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Federer has more than enough touch for brilliant drop shots, as he occasionally shows us (they usually bounce back towards the net after they land) but he has stated over and over again that he hates the drop shot.

He'd rather blast the opponent off the court.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
06-03-2006, 01:33 PM
he has stated over and over again that he hates the drop shot.
That's because he wants people to "think" so.

I love to hit low shots, but my opponents think that I hate them. ;)

LowProfile
06-03-2006, 01:39 PM

Yes well Federer doesn't hit drop shots much. He reason he states that he hates them is because he is asked in post-match conferences why he doesn't drop shot more.

BabolatFan
06-03-2006, 01:49 PM

So whats the secret?

Well I have nothing against Nadal and I think that he's very very talented -- on clay. However, he's not an all-surface player. He was a bit vulnerable earlier against Mathieu. Nadal got smacked around deep. I'm sure Federer got his drawing board out during the match and jotted down some tactics. I don't want Hewitt to beat him in the next round coz out of respect, Nadal deserves to lose to Federer instead. This would make one of the most exciting finals...if Nadal doesn't lose in straight sets.:p

brucie
06-03-2006, 02:03 PM

I love it when this happens in mixed once in the first game i did some mint 2h backhands it continued and after 3 games the man said stop playing to his backhand hit everything on his forehand i heard thats why i know and they did that was fun forehand sitter 2nd serves from there on whoo! managed to lose still they were actually a really good pair but i got off the hook with a few decent bhs! Haha

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Anywhere else than on clay, P.H Mathieu would have won the match today against Nadal.

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Anywhere else than on clay, P.H Mathieu would have won the match today against Nadal.

Coulda shoulda woulda

They certainly have met on hardcourts before, Nadal won those as well buddy

superman1
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
If Nadal was out of breath from getting a drop shot, he'd take 20 seconds, towel himself off, and be ready for the next point. That strategy doesn't really work. If you hit a drop shot off of every other point, sooner or later he'd get the hint and he'd be running forward before you even hit the dropper.

Chadwixx
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hitting a drop shot off a pro's ball is much harder than at the club lvl. Its like returning a serve with a drop shot. I prefer the mid court slice, not so do or die.

darknight08
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
All of yall are saying the drop shots are hard. Well, they are Pros for a reason. Most of them can do it.

And about 20 second breaks, well that only go so far.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-03-2006, 03:04 PM
To post 1.

As some posters wrote already drop-shot is good but hard shot and risky enough. It is not possible to use it all-the time, so tactics can't be based on drop-shots only. After all even if u can imagine somebody using it against Nadal all the time why not to assume that Nadal can also use it against him and thus there are equal chances to fatigue each other to the 3-d set.

Coria did use drop-shots against Nadal but lost. Coria's drop-shots are best in the world.

Chances are more really if u can come to the net more often, and this tactics is being realised against Nadal, it is why he lose on hard and grass. Simply rushing to the net on the clay demands more preparation and more timing, it is why net tactics can't be used alone against Nadal on the clay.

I think there is not simple tactics against him. Very diversified game as Fed has got, more sliced strokes, high speed and physical condition of a player, everything alltogether may win him.

arosen
06-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Beating Nadal by hitting a dropshot all the time is not an option, and it's unfair to Mathew to say he wasn't using it enough. Remember all the wonderful drop volleys Paul hit? Those are better than drops. He was coming in on good stuff, finishing off at the net with dropvolleys, and he was successful doing that. I think what kills a lot of Nadal's opponens is they overhit the ball a lot, and they miss or give Nadal pace he feeds off. To beat a guy like Rafa on clay, you have to go in feeling supremely fit and totally mentally prepared to stay out there and rally with him for 5 hours plus. With this mindset and some solid play Hewitt or Fed or Blake would have a shot at Rafa even on clay.

Max G.
06-03-2006, 06:28 PM
All of yall are saying the drop shots are hard. Well, they are Pros for a reason. Most of them can do it.

Nadal's also a pro for a reason. Because he can hit groundstrokes heavy enough to PREVENT his opponent from being able to hit a good dropshot, even if his opponent is a pro.

It's like saying that all Mathieu has to do is hit aces - after all, he's a pro, he can hit aces! That ignores the fact that there's another pro on the other side of the net wanting to prevent him from hitting aces, and prevent him from getting any shots he could comfortably hit dropshots off of.

Lindros13
06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
You stated that the drop shot technique will start to work in the 3rd 4th or 5th set but that implies that he doesn't wipe you off the court before then. To beat Nadal with high topspin and drop shots means to beat him at his own game. No one yet has yet shown they can really beat him (especially at his own game) on this surface.

D-man
06-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Coria did use drop-shots against Nadal but lost. Coria's drop-shots are best in the world.

Yes, good point. (Wow, a balanced and reasonable opinion from Aykhan!! ;) )