PDA

View Full Version : Nadal vs Hewitt

verdasco67
06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Hewitt is playing pretty well....what do you guys think? nadal in 3? hewitt in 4 or 5? nadal in 5?

malakas
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
As much as I would love Hewitt to win..(or better said..Nadal to lose:mrgreen: ),I think that Nadal will win in 5 sets..:(

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I pick Hewitt to win this match.Of course i am going with my head.I dont know if the ankle is still a problem but Hewitt too me can beat Nadal if he plays his game.

MR. 81
06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Always against the odds...
You people voting against Nadal will never learn :mrgreen:

55 and counting

Saito
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Is AO 2005 their only meeting? It's the only one I can think of. I go with Hewitt for the upset in 5. But it would be nice to see a Fed-Nadal final @ RG though....

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

siber222000
06-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Is AO 2005 their only meeting? It's the only one I can think of. I go with Hewitt for the upset in 5. But it would be nice to see a Fed-Nadal final @ RG though....

go to www.atptennis.com and to head to head with nadal and hewitt,
hewitt beat him 3 times
nadal zero =)

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I wouldnt put much into their head to head since all 3 meetings were before March-2005 to unofficial start of Nadal's prime, and none were on clay. I honestly think Hewitt has no chance to actually beat Nadal, I believe there is 0% chance of Nadal not winning the French this year. Still I voted for Hewitt in 4 out of sentiment, hoping I can jinx Nadal, sorry VamosRafa if you are reading, but I would like anything that gives Roger a chance to win the French this year. :)

siber222000
06-03-2006, 12:30 PM

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=hewitt%2C+lleyton&player2=nadal%2C

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I thought Nadal showed alot of tinks in his armor today, i am sure Roger will look at the match if he didnt see it already.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Mathieu is a poor defensive player. He allowed Nadal 56 winners in 4 sets, and Nadal's game is not too hit alot of winners. Imagine Roger ever letting him hit that many winners in 4 sets, ROTFL!

Saito
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
go to www.atptennis.com and to head to head with nadal and hewitt,
hewitt beat him 3 times
nadal zero =)
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=hewitt%2C+lleyton&player2=nadal%2C

Thanks for posting that...your 2nd post that is... I was too lazy to do it.. :p

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I pick Hewitt to win this match.Of course i am going with my head.I dont know if the ankle is still a problem but Hewitt too me can beat Nadal if he plays his game.
Hewitt doesn't have near the firepower that Mathieu had today. Hewitt's always had trouble generating his own pace but on clay it's gonna be really hard. Nadal dodged a French bullet and on his birthday, he should have a routine victory, should right?

dandy2fast
06-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Mathieu is a poor defensive player. He allowed Nadal 56 winners in 4 sets, and Nadal's game is not too hit alot of winners. Imagine Roger ever letting him hit that many winners in 4 sets, ROTFL!

Total misunderstanding of that stat from your part, because most of these 56 winners were actually passing shots from Nadal, so it doesn't mean that Mathieu defended poorly, it rather means that Mathieu's net coverage was not good enough.

And anyway Mathieu couldn't defend poorly, since he simply didn't defend at all, since he attacked during all the match!

BabolatFan
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Hewitt...oh wait Nadal deserves a better matchup, so I want Federer to win the FO slam. All Nadal has to do is get to the finals. Bold statement no?

HollerOne5
06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
People that have success against Nadal are people who have BIG shots and are able to dictate the point, keeping Nadal on the run. Hewitt is just as much of a counterpuncher as Nadal, but I think even more so, with less power. Plus, with the added fact Hewitt hates clay, this is gonna be a steamroll. Mathieu will have been Nadal's toughest test before the finals IMO

ACE of Hearts
06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
We will see about that.Knowing Hewitt, he aint bother by Nadal's topspin.

superman1
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
If we assume that Hewitt is at his very best, then he'll give Nadal some trouble. Spin doesn't bother him and he loves pace. He takes what you give him and redirects it to make you run. Nadal loves to run and he loves to hit winners on the run. Hewitt loves to scramble and counterpunch those would-be winners.

Should be an interesting match. I'll say Nadal in 4.

arosen
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
This is a dream matchup. Hewitt is all about hustle, at least he used to be, and so is Nadal. If anything, a chance to beat Rafa at the French and end his famous streak should give Lleyton plenty of motivation. I sure hope he gets into the match and starts pumping his fists, doing the visht and all that, with Rafa doing the kicks. Awesome drama in the making.

Count Grishnackh
06-03-2006, 04:29 PM
If we assume that Hewitt is at his very best, then he'll give Nadal some trouble. Spin doesn't bother him and he loves pace. He takes what you give him and redirects it to make you run. Nadal loves to run and he loves to hit winners on the run. Hewitt loves to scramble and counterpunch those would-be winners.

Should be an interesting match. I'll say Nadal in 4.

I agree with everything except the spin factor. The book on Hewitt was in the locker room that the players were saying back when he was number one that he had trouble with the South American players that hit with spin. Didn't Hewitt lose the Gaudio a couple of years back? I figure that Hewitt was better then than now and Gaudio isn't as good as Nadal. I put those into effect and I see a 3 set win. But something tells me this is gonna be a classic duel with Nadal winning. After that it should be easier from there unless Blake is still around. I want him to play Blake and take him out. So far Blake has only beaten him on fast American hard courts.

The Pusher Terminator
06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
This will be a great match! The two players with the most guts I have ever seen. It will go the distance!

Feņa14
06-03-2006, 06:09 PM
First of all it is really great to see Hewitt back and playing pretty well on his least favourite surface so looking ahead to the grass season it's looking good for him to climb back up the rankings, especially if he's in the opposite side to federer lol

As for the Hewitt V Nadal match, well I think Hewitt will take it in 5 in an absolute epic. Hewitt on clay is something alot different to what he is used to, he is used to people attacking him and him just defending and putting away short balls. If Hewitt is near his best he will not give Nadal the openings that players usually give him.

If Hewitt makes Nadal attack then we saw today he is prone to a few errors and knowing that he will have to go for the lines against a dogged defender like Hewitt could be interesting. Hewitt is also probably the best returner in the world which could give Nadal something extra to think about.

Yes the smart money is on Nadal but I just have a feeling about this one, the more I think about it the more i'm liking Hewitts chances although that could just be from Nadal being troubled alot today.

Hewitt ending Nadals 56 match winning streak on clay? It has a ring to it don't ya think?! ;)

Breaker
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Indeed it does have a nice ring ;)

malakas
06-03-2006, 06:47 PM
:mad: Fena14 I will hunt you down.....:mad:

chrisak47
06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
I would love for Hewitt to win. Though, I am worried that if Nadal loses, most likely, Hewitt will fall to Federer in the finals giving Federer the French Open title? Nope, I don't want that to happen!

nadalgirl26
06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Hewitt used to be the fastest mens player, never the hardest hitting, but the fastest and mentaly toughest. Well guess what ***got Hewitt, Nadal is much faster then you running on court, and much mentaly harder then you too. He also hits way harder, has much more finesse and touch, hits with way more action and manueveringness and is much fitter. You dont stand a chance, you arent event as great as Nadal in your own best strengths like running and mental toughness let alone anything else.

Nadal wins 6-2, 6-0, 6-1 over ***got Hewitt.

Breaker
06-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Hewitt can fire a few more aces than Nadal and has a much better return which both can put him on the offensive in most of the rallies against Nadal. And unlike Mathieu, Hewitt likes the 20-30 ball rallies and won't get fatigued after a set and a half. That being said, if Hewitt's first serve isn't on his double faults problem from earlier this year may come back, although he seems to have fixed that problem so far here (only two doubles against Hrbaty). Also Hewitt's main shot is his backhand which he can rally all day against Nadal's forehand.

Nadal has the better movement on clay definitely, one of the best sliders and has that forehand which he can go down the line with and expose Hewitt's lack of a slide. The main point of the match is the positioning, Hewitt likes standing inside and on the baseline while Nadal of course likes standing 10 feet behind. Hewitt has one of the most underated net games on the pro tour and can definitely finish some points off with drop volleys and also open up the court with his underated drop shot for a pass.
In other words, Hewitt has as good of a chance as anybody as his game isn't really affected against him and also since he has no pressure on him.

Either way...should be an excellent match.

superman1
06-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Hewitt actually has much better touch at the net than Nadal. Didn't Rafter say Hewitt had the best volleys of all the baseliners?

But all this being said, the fact remains that Hewitt has had an absolutely awful year. He must have put some serious work in to have had the run he's had so far, so hopefully he's back in form. Last year I'd be sure this would be a very tight match since Hewitt was probably the 3rd most consistent guy last year, behind Federer and Nadal.

alienhamster
06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
I agree with everything except the spin factor. The book on Hewitt was in the locker room that the players were saying back when he was number one that he had trouble with the South American players that hit with spin. Didn't Hewitt lose the Gaudio a couple of years back? I figure that Hewitt was better then than now and Gaudio isn't as good as Nadal. I put those into effect and I see a 3 set win. But something tells me this is gonna be a classic duel with Nadal winning. After that it should be easier from there unless Blake is still around. I want him to play Blake and take him out. So far Blake has only beaten him on fast American hard courts. Yeah, this is right, Count. Hewitt thrives on getting fed pace-filled, flat shots by his opponents that would normally be winners against anyone other than Hewitt. Roddick and Federer both eventually figured out that you have to change up the spins and pace in rallies against Hewitt to beat him--that means heavy topspin on occasion, slices thrown in, strategically chosen flat (winner) shots, etc.

BUT, Hewitt seems to adapt pretty well to players without variety, and Nadal (at this point in his life) definitely falls in that camp. I have a feeling this one might be pretty close if Nadal isn't at 80% or better.

prince
06-04-2006, 04:43 AM
you guys need to count the vamos and the cmon - see which one ends up having the most fistpumps after the match....

Klippy
06-04-2006, 07:48 AM
OMG Hewitt is going down. to Chinatown. :cool:

Feņa14
06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
:mad: Fena14 I will hunt you down.....:mad:

I'm sorry ...

Although I always seem to pick the person that beats Roddick for some reason :confused: Having said that though, thats not hard these days hehe.

siber222000
06-04-2006, 12:18 PM
i have a feeling that nadal is going to win in 4, but im giving hewitt a chance, his been playing horrible this year, but i think he has a very good motivation of beating nadal, and since he beat nadal 3 times *even though that was back when nadal was under top 50*, he might think that he can beat nadal... so im giving my vote for hewitt in 5, this is going to be a one interesting match ;)

tennis_nerd22
06-04-2006, 04:56 PM
it would be funny if either one of them retired... especially if it was because of a banana... :D