PDA

View Full Version : B-a-n-a-n-a / Nadal

texastnsplayer
06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
How bout Rafeal Nadal taking an injury timeout today stating he was chocking ona banana, that tops bout anything ive ever heard

vkartikv
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I am told he also choked when he saw Barca trail Arsenal 1-0. They didn't teach him not to swallow.

malakas
06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah..I wonder if ever any player took a break for a more ridiculous reason..I seriously doubt that..

darknight08
06-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Yea I thought it was drama

Morrissey
06-03-2006, 03:01 PM
The last time I saw anything or anyone take over the spotlight of a good match in Paris was the Bill Clinton match with Agassi.

malakas
06-03-2006, 03:09 PM
The last time I saw anything or anyone take over the spotlight of a good match in Paris was the Bill Clinton match with Agassi.

Excuse me but could you explain what happened there?I don't follow tennis many years that's why I ask.Thanx in advance.

FiveO
06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
To (mis)quote Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop:

I ain't fallen for no banana in the windpipe!

I'll bet Mary Pierce regrets never having thought of that one!:)

shawn1122
06-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think Nadal really had to think to come up with that one; that's how horrible an wxcuse it was.

highsierra
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's an excuse just to stop the game. He just broke Mathieu, and his service game was going okay at 15-15. The NBC commentator also noted that he wouldn't stop the game if there's not a real problem.

The replay showed that he took a bite of a banana during the changeover and got up and walked to the court to serve. It could be that he still had a mouthful while tossing the ball up for the serve. And I know I wouldn't want anything in my mouth during a serve when every muscle in the body is being mobilized.

The Pusher Terminator
06-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I thought it was really cool. VAMOS!

pound cat
06-03-2006, 04:30 PM
The funniest thing about the banana time out was that Rafa was laughing about it.

Look out for banana peels on your side of the court, Roger. LOL

woody6.1
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
ha .. that reminds me of this one clip a long time ago of maria sharapova eating a banana .. ... ... ... .. it .. .. it was nice .. ..

Frodo Baggins
06-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Ok I never saw this match..But from the posts here>A.Like how can Nadal Choke on a Piece of bannana Thats Soft:rolleyes: And thats been chewed before he swallowed??..Doesn't make sense:confused: From What you guy's say or saw?? Too me it seems like Nadal was Showboating out of somthing??

slice bh compliment
06-03-2006, 06:50 PM
It is all very simple. The Rafa camp had been reading up around here and his 'handlers' decided it was time to put an end to the moniker, 'TopspinMonkey'. So he decided to plead unfamiliarity with a banana.

Defcon
06-04-2006, 12:43 AM
The best part was McEnroe's comment - 'that's not going to help with his tough guy image' or something like that, and Mary Carillo snickering.

Did you notice the crowd booed Nadal whenever he used his gamesmanship, tried to point to non-existent marks, and even at the end. And this can't be blamed on the crowd being French, as the banana excuse was truly pathetic.

IMO Nadal was lucky to get out alive. PHM played a brilliant tactical match and Nadal was outplayed most of the time.

superman1
06-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Nadal was probably choking on his own spit. I don't see how you can eat a banana and then 2 minutes later start choking on it, unless you didn't peel the banana and just forced it down your gullet like a monkey.

Docalex007
06-04-2006, 02:48 AM
It is all very simple. The Rafa camp had been reading up around here and his 'handlers' decided it was time to put an end to the moniker, 'TopspinMonkey'. So he decided to plead unfamiliarity with a banana.

LMAO! Post of the Month. :mrgreen:

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 03:17 AM
oops... you make me feel guilty for PHM now !!! :shock:
i feel like i might some responsability in this appellation...... uh oh...... ;)

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Doc Alex, thanks, man. Giggling over the banana/monkey image.

Aw yeah, it was you, vive le beau jeu! Fitting a Frenchman would come up with that apropos nickname! Still laughing, literally out loud. But, don't feel responsible for Polo's tough loss. He represented!

I'm just waiting to hear from the VamosRafa lady. She's gonna be mad as a howler monkey over this thread backfiring.

Progressive10s
06-04-2006, 06:27 AM
I am not sure this was gamesmanship from Nadal or not. But having had an uncle die from choking to death and having saved a woman in a restaurant who was choking on a crab cake. I never question anyone when they indicate that they are having trouble swallowing.

35ft6
06-04-2006, 12:58 PM
That banana incident was wack. I'm starting to like this kid a bit less. A banana in his throat!? Is he so dumb he's still trying to master the art of swallowing food properly. Come on. It was total gamesmanship.

35ft6
06-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I am not sure this was gamesmanship from Nadal or not. But having had an uncle die from choking to death and having saved a woman in a restaurant who was choking on a crab cake. I never question anyone when they indicate that they are having trouble swallowing. Even when they've already played two points and they have no problems breathing or talking. Maybe I've seen too many movies, but I always thought when people were really choking on something they have a hard time breathing and talking.

katarddx
06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I thought it was really cool. VAMOS!

just... just... enlighten me... WHAT was soo cool about it?

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Come on. It was total gamesmanship.
come on yourself.

1. The guy looked embarrassed by it.
2. why would he pull a trick like that at that moment? He was serving for the set and winning that game would get him to two sets to Paulo's one set. It's in his interest to finish that game quickly, not walk to the sidelines and prolong that moment.
If he did that when he was just broken, I could understand why you would question the timing of it but not when he was actually serving for the set to get the lead in the match.
3. Paulo's trainer afterwards said that it was obvious to him that something was indeed wrong with Rafael and he believed him.
4. Anybody who has had something stuck in his throat can tell you that it's scary. You can still breathe, yes, but it's an automatic reaction from your body to panic when something gets stuck in that place.

edberg505
06-04-2006, 02:42 PM
come on yourself.

1. The guy looked embarrassed by it.
2. why would he pull a trick like that at that moment? He was serving for the set and winning that game would get him to two sets to Paulo's one set. It's in his interest to finish that game quickly, not walk to the sidelines and prolong that moment.
If he did that when he was just broken, I could understand why you would question the timing of it but not when he was actually serving for the set to get the lead in the match.
3. Paulo's trainer afterwards said that it was obvious to him that something was indeed wrong with Rafael and he believed him.
4. Anybody who has had something stuck in his throat can tell you that it's scary. You can still breathe, yes, but it's an automatic reaction from your body to panic when something gets stuck in that place.

Well, you have to really think about the timing. He plays 2 points and then all of a sudden he calls a trainer. Maybe it was just a stall tactic, maybe he was just trying to catch his breath or maybe he actually did have something wrong with him. But I for one find it hard to believe that he had a banana stuck in his throat. The only person who truly knows if he was choking on a banana is him.

tonysk83
06-04-2006, 02:43 PM
As much as I dislike rafa, it did seem somewhat real, if it was fake, he picks terrible times to fake something like that.

Rataplan
06-04-2006, 02:48 PM
The only person who truly knows if he was choking on a banana is him.
Indeed, but come on, the timing of that is stupid if this was gamensmanship. This is the time to get on with it, to finish the game quickly and catch your breath between two sets.

Besides, and Paulo's coach did mention that as well (seems to be a fair guy), Rafael Nadal did have a brief look of panic on his face. Unless he's a very good actor, I really don't think he was faking that.

Janne
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Could someone please, PLEASE post a video of this whole banana thing. I would really like to see it, too. :D

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Good point.
I think he's just a little kid. A humble, nice young lad. Anyone read his blog entries?
Turning 20, not a teen anymore, he says 'not sure if that is good or bad'? Falling asleep on the massage table....his trainer leaves him there, generally, his team treats him like he is four...he has trouble swallowing a banana (which is most primate children's first solid food after mother's milk), losing his reel of string, complaining about bumping his shin in the minivan. And that's just over four days. Antithesis of macho, if you ask me. Not even an entertaining blog.

Either he plays dumb reeeeally really well, or he's a little munchkin in a man's body. And man, can he control a tennis ball!

Evidently they embriodered 'Vamos' and 'Rafa' on the heel each of his shoes. Nice touch...and it helps him with the whole left/right thing!

Saito
06-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Could someone please, PLEASE post a video of this whole banana thing. I would really like to see it, too. :D

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9775/711179681wm.jpg

:lol: funny

malakas
06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Good point.
I think he's just a little kid. A humble, nice young lad. Anyone read his blog entries?
Turning 20, not a teen anymore, he says 'not sure if that is good or bad'? Falling asleep on the massage table....his trainer leaves him there, generally, his team treats him like he is four...he has trouble swallowing a banana (which is most primate children's first solid food after mother's milk), losing his reel of string, complaining about bumping his shin in the minivan. And that's just over four days. Antithesis of macho, if you ask me. Not even an entertaining blog.

Either he plays dumb reeeeally really well, or he's a little munchkin in a man's body. And man, can he control a tennis ball!

Evidently they embriodered 'Vamos' and 'Rafa' on the heel each of his shoes. Nice touch...and it helps him with the whole left/right thing!

hahahahaha!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

jamauss
06-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Somebody with audio/video skills needs to combine scenes from his match with that Gwen Stefani song..

"Rafa eats bananas....B-A-N-A-N-A-S....cause I ain't no vamos rafa grrrrrll...." lol

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
The topspinmonkey,
b
a
n
a
n
a
s! Tha Topspin monkey, b-a-n-a-n-a-s!

Then that haunting refrain:
"'Cause I ain't no Nadalette girl. I ain' no Nadal-ette girl!"

fastdunn
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
To (mis)quote Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop:

I ain't fallen for no banana in the windpipe!

I'll bet Mary Pierce regrets never having thought of that one!:)

Yeah, let's call this whole thing as "Mary Pierce Factor" or sothing like that...

dannyjjang
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
just wondering.. or is it one of his tactics?
its very rare for a person to choke on a banana peel....

if this thread have been discussed i have an alternative question why do they make gestures after a lucky shot?

35ft6
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
come on yourself.

1. The guy looked embarrassed by it. He should have been embarrassed.2. why would he pull a trick like that at that moment? Because Mathieu was playing really good, the crowd was really behind him, and Nadal was struggling. Nadal was feeling the nerves. It was a stall tactic.3. Paulo's trainer afterwards said that it was obvious to him that something was indeed wrong with Rafael and he believed him. It was "obvious to [me] that something was indeed wrong" also. Nadal was being a flake.4. Anybody who has had something stuck in his throat can tell you that it's scary. You can still breathe, yes, but it's an automatic reaction from your body to panic when something gets stuck in that place. Irrelevant. I don't think he was choking. If he's choking, I figure he goes to the side, drinks some water, washes it down. Why does he need a trainer? Did he administer the heimlich? Seriously.

I don't put this up anywhere near Henin's flakeout at the French against Serena. I just don't buy it. I think Nadal is one of the few players on the tour who's well liked enough to generate so many believers of his act. Maybe him and Agassi.

Kabob190
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM

what happened here? can someone explain?

The whole banana thing reminded me of one day at luch feshan year at high school. I was eating this granola bar thingy and i was in a rush to eat it for some reason so i shoved the last half in my mouth and i started chocking. Not on the bar but on part of the rapper that was stuck to the bar. I went to the bathroom and tried to cough it out but couldnt, i was spitting out blood cuz it was the rigid end and it was cutting my throat. It was hard to breathe so i went to the school nurse and she gave me crackers so i ate them and i swallowed the rapper down with the cracker. Talk about emberassing. I can understand what happened to rafa, except that it was a banana. One time i was chocking on a fish bone, i know this happenes a lot, and my mom made me eat a banana to clear the bone. It worked, i dunno how you can choke on a banana, with my luck ill find out sooner or later.

tnig469
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
i honestly think he did choke on a banana...cuz i mean its not like his fitness is causing him to take a break...he just needed sometime to recover from an incident...u try playin with something stuck in ur throat...ok that was *******ed

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Maybe a little of both, but I don't think he should have stopped for that. I mean you don't see Federer or any of the top players making foolish mistakes like that and wasting valuable time!

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Kabob, this one time? at band camp, I mean, Chatrier? Agassi was kicking Grosjean's a$s? Then Bill Clinton came and sat down in the RG equivalent of the president's/royal box? Just Bill, no hookers or anything. The crowd was delighted to see Bubba. Agassi got disctracted and Grosjean ended up making a nice comeback.

Rodical
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
yes Nadal could have been chocked with a banana peel becaused of the stress and the rush he might have taken a junk:

DX_Psycho
06-04-2006, 06:42 PM
i don't see waht the big deal is. i'm sure you guys would be calling him stupid for not stopping if he did choke and had to drop out of the match. people are just never happy.

we won't know if he was really choking or not but i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

HyperHorse
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
well his sign is Gemini...
so ill give him the benefit of the doubt. :-P

Max G.
06-04-2006, 07:37 PM
what happened here? can someone explain?

As he was coming back from the changeover, he was eating a banana. Apparently, some of it got stuck in his throat - after two points he complained that he "couldn't swallow" and sat around on the side for a bit, got some water, and was fine.

uno banana
06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
LMAO!!! great pic saito san