PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Edge metallic strings

mvictory5
07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Has anyone used the Gamma Edge strings before? (metallic mains, synthetic crosses) I strung a racquet with them using a basic drop-weight stringer, and the result was very poor. Because the string stretches almost zero, I think the tensions of each main string were inconsistent, making for a poor and unpredictable playing experience. Any insight you could offer about these strings would be appreciated!

Gennady Mamzhi
07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Please do yourself a favor - cut them off ASAP. I played with the edge-20 fo a couple of weeks (maybe a month) a few years ago. While I enjoyed the tremendous spin of 20 ga string, my elbow got ruined for the next 6 months. The metal mains are WAY TOO STIFF. They almost don't stretch.

Regards,

Gennady

mvictory5
07-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Yeah but did you have tension consistency problems? One guy told me that he had strung it for a few people, and it was a good idea to string the metal mains 10 lbs lower than usual. I was thinking about using natural gut in the crosses to add some elasticity to the stringjob maybe.

Gennady Mamzhi
07-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Your tension inconsistency is probably coming from your clamps. The metallic mains are less than 1mm in diameter. The clamps need to be adjusted to be much tighter than usual. I didn't have any problem with inconsistency.

Regards,

Gennady

mvictory5
08-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your help, Gennady .

Actually I was using the 17g Edge strings, not the 20g, so the strings did not slip through the clamps at all. The clamps gripped well, much like on a poly. However, I was using floating clamps (Klippermate) and floating clamps always allow the string to pull back about a millimeter or two. The Edge strings have so little elasticity that a 1mm difference in length can be a 20 lb difference in tension. (This is probably 10x worse than any other string.) So I'm thinking I will have my friend who owns a much more expensive stringer with fixed clamps string the rest of my Edge strings.