PDA

View Full Version : Playtest - Ashaway Monogut 17

K. Wilson Moose
07-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, I just tried the Ashaway Monogut freebie. Thanks to Steven Crandall and Ashaway BTW.

I strung it up in a Prince CTS Synergy DB 24 MP(wow that's a mouthful) at 54 lbs which is 10% less than my usual tension. They recommend 10-15%.

This is a really nice string. It compares very favorably to higher end polys. To me, it plays very comfortably, provides good power, excellent spin, control comparable to Ti-Mo, and very nice feel for touch shots.

I played 2 sets today in the Atlanta heat and humidity, and it performed beautifully. Nice penetrating shots, excellent serves, nice stick on the volleys, no surprises. I remember hitting only a couple of balls long, and one was debatable :roll:.

Anyway.....strings, tension and the like are very subjective areas for players, but this IMO is a very nice, cost effective string. Now, we'll see how it holds up.

Gaines Hillix
07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Moose, greetings from the piney woods of west Cobb! Seriously, did you demo the 16 or 17g? How would you compare this string to Touch Turbo or Poly Polar? What was it like to string?

K. Wilson Moose
07-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey Gaines,

It was the 17g. As for stringing, it was somewhat of a pain on my Klipper, being a poly. No worse or better than most.

I thought it played softer, like Touch Turbo or Poly Polar, but with the excellent control and spin traits of Ti-MO. It has nice feel for touch shots as well.

FWIW, I liked Touch Turbo OK, and didn't care for Poly Polar. This string is better that both IMHO, and compares nicely to some of the more expensive offerings.

Anyway, some will like it and some won't, but I think it is a very good bang for the buck. Longevity.....well we'll see.......

!<-_->!
07-05-2004, 07:14 PM
How long did it take you to get your sample? It's been over a month and I still haven't received my sample.

raven5288
07-05-2004, 08:06 PM
yeah, it takes a while. I think mine came in 2 and a half months. I had forgotten I sent for it when it came in. Don't worry though, if you send in your playtest results, you can get another string for free.

kninetik
07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Ashaway took a month and a half for me. Filled the app mid may and recieved it days before the 4th of July.

sorkang724
07-05-2004, 08:13 PM
hey moose....did the string lock in place like the Lux ALU ?

spress
07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
sounds like im one of the luckey ones here i got my string in 2 days and today was the first day i played with it when the string on my main racket broke after lasting for about 6 playing hours i didnt get to play long because it started to rain but overall i liked the string kinda harsh on the arm but what do u expect from a poly btw i strung it at 50 and normally i string syn guts at about 60-62 kinda a pain to string not too bad just an extra 5 -10 minutes

Steve Huff
07-05-2004, 11:12 PM
I got mine in about 2 weeks. I have never used Ashaway strings before, but I am anxious to try this one. They could get a new customer. The 17g looks nice and thin, which I like. I worry about all poly's, as I get a sore elbow frequently. I'll drop the tension though.

RacquetDoctor
07-06-2004, 05:37 AM
I too, received it fairly quick...with in two weeks of requesting it. I normally play with Competition, so I didn't drop the tension. I strung it at 56lb in my Vengine mid...I will go up 2-3 pounds the next time. I find the string to play real well, love the price point, but it has a tad more pop than Competition...upping the tension should help me. It does play softer, but it isn't as mushy as TT. I picked up a few more sets from TW after the first time out with this string.

Durability on this one is average for a poly in this gauge. I broke my first set in 12 hours of playing time.

bsandy
07-06-2004, 06:22 AM
This is great to hear . . . I was worried that I was the only one that liked the stuff.

I've been eMailing Steve Crandall, he said they had 300 requests for samples. So, I guess be patient.

He didn't curse me for posting the link for free samples, but it's nice to support an American company (even if the stuff's extruded in Germany).

. . . Bud

K. Wilson Moose
07-06-2004, 10:28 AM
hey moose....did the string lock in place like the Lux ALU ?

The string stayed in place quite nicely. I'll post another update after I've had a chance to hit with it a few more times.

bsandy
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Not only does it stay in place, if you use it in the crosses, it'll keep Nat Gut, Multis, and most Synths in place too.

. . . Bud

tennisnj
07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I just got my Monogut 17 on the 3rd of July about 6 weeks after I had asked for it. I will let everyone know my opinions of it as soon as I can get some consistent non-feeding tennis teaching hitting in.

Koz
07-07-2004, 06:15 PM
I just recieved my set as well. Going to wait for one of my strings to break before I string it up though.

raven5288
07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
yeah, I'm still waiting for my current sting to break. BREAK YOU ALU, BREAK!!!!