PDA

View Full Version : anyone play with the forten nylon?

comeon787
07-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I was just wondering if anyone in here has played with the 16.99 Forten Nylon 660. And if anyone has, what other strings does it compare to?

Bama'sBest
07-05-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm currently using my first set of Forten 16 nylon in my 5g. Compared to OG micro 16 (both at 63#s) Forten feels:

1) a tad more harsh (board-like)
2) a lot more powerful
3) like it's missing feel...and yet all of my short angles/drop shots/stretched defensive shots fall almost right where I want them....a real enigma here
4) and after 6-7 hours of play (when I usually break Micro 16)...Forten is not yet notched.

So, to swing my racquet with it at first, based on feel, I would've thought it would play poorly....and yet it plays great (results-wise).
Will let you know more as I have more experience.

lelopez
07-05-2004, 05:54 PM
I tried it and didn't like it. Not enough feel on the ball, loses tension extremely fast, and translates A LOT to your arm......I had arm problems with it as long as I used the string....

I was using it on a PS 6.0 strung at 53 lbs. on a Klippermate weight stringer.

Bama'sBest
07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Gotta concur with post above after a few more hits....tension is gone...arm problems have come and stayed (saying a lot w/a 5g)..ouch!

Ruuzo
07-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Do you guys use poly? How does the harshness of Forten Nylon compare to the harshness of poly? I ordered a reel of Forten nylon a few days ago, and hearing about these arm problems has me worried! But I use mostly poly...

Bama'sBest
07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
I always play with a poly hybrid (polylon/OG) and its like butter compared to this Forten Nylon....I was only experimenting because I find the Polylon to feel substantially different after 6-8 hours. Recommend biting the bullet on S&H and returning the FORTEN....if you have some cheap synthetic you could send me a set or two of I could trade you for a set or two of the FORTEN so you can decide for yourself.