PDA

View Full Version : monfils - add attacking element?

grizzly4life
06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
enjoyed watching the monfils match....

but i think with his size, athleticism and power, that he should add at least an attacking element to his game.... seemed like it was pure counter-punching and at that he often right at blake at the net.... also, wonder whether he should get more service winners...

lest you think i wasn't impressed...... monfils seems excellent off both sides, chases down some amazing balls ala nadal and can hit some amazing winners from defensive position.

i like watching the guy.... i just think he'd add something to his game coming to net occasionally. it would get his opponent thinking and monfils is huge.

thoughts greatly appreciated!

ACE of Hearts
06-04-2006, 10:23 AM
His forehand is too long, he needs to shorten it.He moves pretty fast for a guy thats 6'4.Also this guy needs a physical trainer, he huffs and puffs on every point.

BabolatFan
06-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah his takeback is pretty long and mechanical. I wonder how he will do at Wimbledon. AFter gaining this thusfar Slam experience, he could give Nadal some problems. Maybe another 5 setter? If Hewitt doesn't win tomorrow, I really hope Monfils takes Nadal out. Pretty bold, no?

LowProfile
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Monfils has a blistering forehand, but it's not as big as Blake's. His power comes from the long backswing. He was on the defensive a lot because this is clay and his opponent was the ultra aggressive Blake.

Monfils attacks far more on faster surfaces, such as indoor carpet. Not sure about his game on grass though.

It seems to me like Monfils has the opposite problem that Blake had. Blake was all about offense earlier in his career and didn't take advantage of his ridiculous speed.

Monfils seems to rely too much on his speed and doesn't take advantage of his big forehand and serve. He changes his game depending on the surface and this probably isn't advisable. Blake plays basically the same game on every surface and it seems to work for him. I'd like to see Monfils attack some more. Slice a few approaches and get to net with his quick feet.

siber222000
06-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah his takeback is pretty long and mechanical. I wonder how he will do at Wimbledon. AFter gaining this thusfar Slam experience, he could give Nadal some problems. Maybe another 5 setter? If Hewitt doesn't win tomorrow, I really hope Monfils takes Nadal out. Pretty bold, no?
i dont think nadal is goin to lose against monfils, unless stupid french viewers like boo him or something

JayxTheKoolest
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
i dont think nadal is goin to lose against monfils, unless stupid french viewers like boo him or something

or he could choke on another banana

siber222000
06-04-2006, 11:22 AM
or he could choke on another banana
that too lol

Mr.Federer
06-04-2006, 02:59 PM

Monfils, must first defeat Novak Djokovic, who also looks very impressive. His groundstrokes are so clean and consistent.

BabolatFan
06-04-2006, 03:09 PM
that too lol

:lol: Yeah Nadal chokes on another banana and retires tomorrow.