PDA

View Full Version : No real surprise in Federer's half

fastdunn
06-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Just familiar guys who just can't beat Federer.
(Well..., Mario's maybe somewhat capable but proly not on clay..)

More of dangers and uncertainties in Nadal's half.

It surely looks like we're going to see Federer on sunday
but I'm not so sure about Nadal...

ACE of Hearts
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
My only worry as a Fed fan is Nalbandian if Roger beats Ancic.

arosen
06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
"SuperMario" is exhausted after his battle with Robredo. He was puking his guts out there, multiple muscle strains, and he has to play tomorrow. No way he beats Fed, Fed will take it in 3. Nalby is looming larger by the day.

Ztalin
06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Fed and Nalby won't face. Davydenko will take him out :)

That's how I picked it anyway.

Fed
Davydenko
Ljubicic
Nadal

AAAA
06-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Are you getting sleepness nights?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Just familiar guys who just can't beat Federer.
(Well..., Mario's maybe somewhat capable but proly not on clay..)

More of dangers and uncertainties in Nadal's half.

It surely looks like we're going to see Federer on sunday
but I'm not so sure about Nadal...

Well Nadal had two real dangers, Hewitt and Blake, but now one of the two is gone with Blake losing today. That makes a huge difference. Nadal is much closer to the finish line now.

Ancic is not a threat to take Federer out in a Grand Slam, let alone on clay like you said. Nalbandian is the closest thing to a threat left in his half, but I really dont see Nalbandian taking Federer out on clay either.

MasterTS
06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Fed and Nalby won't face. Davydenko will take him out :)

That's how I picked it anyway.

Fed
Davydenko
Ljubicic
Nadal

Ljub wont make the semis. He was lucky to sqeak a win over Monaco.

pero
06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
ljubo wasn't lucky, just when he started playing he won it ;)

fastdunn
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Well Nadal had two real dangers, Hewitt and Blake, but now one of the two is gone with Blake losing today. That makes a huge difference. Nadal is much closer to the finish line now.

Ancic is not a threat to take Federer out in a Grand Slam, let alone on clay like you said. Nalbandian is the closest thing to a threat left in his half, but I really dont see Nalbandian taking Federer out on clay either.

Yeah, so far Nalbandian's contra-tennis has been working
better on faster courts against Federer.

Nadal might also have to face some un-predictabilities like Djokovic,
Monfils and couple of new faces in Lubjicic's quarter...
These new faces might surprise everyone a la Kuerten at his
first FO title when he was something like #60 in the world...

federerhoogenbandfan
06-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, so far Nalbandian's contra-tennis has been working
better on faster courts against Federer.

Nadal might also have to face some un-predictabilities like Djokovic,
Monfils and couple of new faces in Lubjicic's quarter...

Ljubicic will make the semis, I would be surprised to see him lose to anybody in his quarter. Monfils was walloped by Nadal in Roma. Djokovic a threat to Nadal? Naw.

ACE of Hearts
06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
If Hewitt is not into the match tomorrow, i will be surprised.I am sure he wants this match badly even if he doesnt get to the final.I expect him to battle, we will see what happens.

fastdunn
06-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Djokovic just beat Haas and Gonzales. He is big and powerful.
Right around #60 in the world. Gonzales said he never faced
anything like the pressure he had with Djokovic.
No one expected Kuerten would win those matches
for his 1st FO.

There's just more uncertainties in Nadal's half of draw.
This kind of things happens at FO, you know.
Clay just systematically favors under-dogs, sometimes....

J-man
06-04-2006, 03:53 PM
It will be an intresting match him and Nadal. I say Nadal in 4

tennis_nerd22
06-04-2006, 03:55 PM
It will be an intresting match him and Nadal. I say Nadal in 4

ill say nadal in 5

The tennis guy
06-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I am very impressed with Djokovic, more than any other young players under 20 left. He is going to have greater future than Monfils in my opinion. He is going to be very good on other surfaces too.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I am very impressed with Djokovic, more than any other young players under 20 left. He is going to have greater future than Monfils in my opinion. He is going to be very good on other surfaces too.

I have told alot of people I know I find Djokovic has more promise then Monfils and Gasquet, most of them laugh at me and :rolleyes: :rolleyes: me as well. It is refreshing to see atleast one other person who feels that might be the case too.

Max G.
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ljub wont make the semis. He was lucky to sqeak a win over Monaco.

Check out his draw. He's got pretty much the easiest draw to the semis of any of the top four players - by far.

In the 4th round, he plays 80th in the world Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo. Then, in the quarterfinals, he plays either #92 Julien Benetteau or #68 Alberto Martin.

He's certainly not a lock for the semis, since those guys are pretty good claycourters and Ljubicic isn't, but heck, I think Ljubicic can play at least top-50 tennis on clay...

The tennis guy
06-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Check out his draw. He's got pretty much the easiest draw to the semis of any of the top four players - by far.

In the 4th round, he plays 80th in the world Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo. Then, in the quarterfinals, he plays either #92 Julien Benetteau or #68 Alberto Martin.

He's certainly not a lock for the semis, since those guys are pretty good claycourters and Ljubicic isn't, but heck, I think Ljubicic can play at least top-50 tennis on clay...

Those players he played or will play would be ranked ahead of him on clay on a consistentcy basis. Juan Monaco is one of the biggest underachievers on clay.

Anyway, I think he'll get to semi based on experience. I wouldn't say he is sure in for the semi either.

ACE of Hearts
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
I got a feeling that he will be upset by this Hidalgo guy.

The tennis guy
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
I have told alot of people I know I find Djokovic has more promise then Monfils and Gasquet, most of them laugh at me and :rolleyes: :rolleyes: me as well. It is refreshing to see atleast one other person who feels that might be the case too.

He has great tennis talent, more like Agassi type of hand-eye coordination, taking the ball on the rise, hits hard and consistent. The reason he hasn't done as well as others is he hasn't played as much. His body is still growing.

arosen
06-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I saw Djoko at the US Open, and I thought he was hitting as hard as one can hit from both sides. I wasn't very impressed with his serve, though. On clay his serve doesn't matter as much I reckon. His father is one of those tennis dads I hear, very unforgiving.

Lee
06-04-2006, 08:18 PM
...but how many "forgiving" tennis parents produced tennis prodigies like Agassi, Sharapova and the Williams? It takes hard work and discipline to get to the top.

uno banana
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
they are good because, as kids

if they double faulted they got beat ;)

FEDEXP
06-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Well I just hope I get to see Djocovic; they've not really shown him once on American TV (except spare moments); they threatened to show the Gonzo/Djocovic match then never got there.

unjugon
06-05-2006, 02:28 AM
One has to say, compared to the other players in the semis, if Ljubicic makes it there, he would have had the easiest draw imaginable to a french open semis. No discussion. A joke.

malakas
06-05-2006, 02:41 AM

I agree with you.I like him very much.

croatian sensation
06-05-2006, 05:36 AM
...but how many "forgiving" tennis parents produced tennis prodigies like Agassi, Sharapova and the Williams? It takes hard work and discipline to get to the top.

True, but hey...but how many "forgiving" parents destroyed Dokic and Lucic?

You have to draw the line somewhere. And not letting your 18 yr old kid have a cell phone (so that all of his calls go through you) and cursing him and his mother after you lost in USO in 5 sets (while the mum was right there in the stands) publicly from the stands doesn't qualify as discipline only to me.
(that's what was published about daddy Djokovic)

croatian sensation
06-05-2006, 05:39 AM

Ditto.

Actually, I think Ancic is a big surprise in Fed's draw. I'm not saying he'll take him out, but I'm sure before that match Fed was thinking he'll have to face Robredo.
And, they're playing tomorrow, not today...so Mario got enough time to rest. Which means that match might get interesting.

fastdunn
06-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Djokovic is blowing off seeded players.
He is the dangerman in Nadal's half.
I saw only short video clips of him playing but
actually he strikes me as a player who can beat
Federer, ... in the future...

Aykhan Mammadov
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Nalbandian or Davydenko, whomever - for Fed will not be easy semi, and he must prepare carefully.

MR. 81
06-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok people give me 3 objective reasons for you not thinking Nadal will cream Djokovic. I give you 3 for the opposite:

1) Streak (one of the best claycourters ever?)
2) #2 ranked vs. a newcomer
3) non-experience, pressure for Djokovic

AAAA
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Djokovic is blowing off seeded players.
He is the dangerman in Nadal's half.

He is now a physically spent force; the match with Nadal is a formality, for Nadal.

fastdunn
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Djokovic is playing great right now and should not be
considered as #63 in the world anymore.

I think the pressure is on Nadal while Djokovic has nothing to
lose. It would be 4 or 5 set matches..

Moose Malloy
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok people give me 3 objective reasons for you not thinking Nadal will cream Djokovic. I give you 3 for the opposite:

1) Streak (one of the best claycourters ever?)
2) #2 ranked vs. a newcomer
3) non-experience, pressure for Djokovic

Nadal has spent over 8 hours on court his last 2 matches(Novak has spent less than 9 total for his 4 matches). I don't think anyone's played long matches like these at the French since Canas(who apparently had a little help from a bottle) in '02. He beat Moya & Hewitt back to back long matches & went into a 5th set with Costa before he was completely gassed.
Nadal is fit, but this is unreal fitness he has to show this week(& he admitted how exhausted he was after beating Mathieu)

Nadal hasn't been at his best this event, perhaps due to the new pressure of being the favorite(& getting a trophy for breaking Vilas' streak, that could have been a distraction)

Novak has been playing like a top tenner this week, he has the weapons to beat Nadal. Unless he chokes big time, this will be a close one & I wouldn't be surprised to see Nadal go out.

Right now I think Federer is more of a lock to get to the final than Nadal.