PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Young Gun?

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Seems like there is a new wave coming in. In the realm of young guns, who is your favorite? Personally, mine is Richard Gasquet. (I say young guns are those 20 and younger.)

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
marcos & richard :)
i'm really hesitating...... you should have put multiple choice ! ;)

LowProfile
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Definitely not Donald Young.

I like Tomas Berdych, although I'm not sure how much he qualifies as a young gun. He is only 20 though. I'm really impressed with Alex Kuznetsov, although he hasn't broken out onto the ATP tour yet.

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Poll, lol, wow, These posts popped up while I was making the poll. I didnt know the thread was already in.

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Donald Young.
[ducks and covers head]
Kidding, I wish him well, though.

I like Wawrinka's game, and I still attend a weekly 'small-group' at the local Baghdatist Cathedral.

Love Gasquet, too. Someone here said he was like a pre-'03 Rogi. Hope so, but he could just be a Haas in crocodile's clothing.

Lleyton Hewitt
06-04-2006, 01:54 PM
I like Almagro but hes not as consistent as i thought he would be, like when he played federer i thought he would be a threat from then on on clay but he suddenly loses against Blake in RG and he lost against another player last week but i cant remember who but i know it wasnt a popular player.
Andy Murray, Marcos Baghdatis but not on good form though

Saito
06-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Gasquet - Very tactical player (understands the concept of constructing the point very well), has the potential to be great, and has one of the best BH IMO. He just needs to remain calm and collected instead of losing his head. It must be tough for him though, seeing that he's been receiving a ton of pressure from expectations and whatnot. Definitely my favorite Young Gun though.

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Gasquet - Very tactical player (understands the concept of constructing the point very well), has the potential to be great, and has one of the best BH IMO. He just needs to remain calm and collected instead of losing his head. It must be tough for him though, seeing that he's been receiving a ton of pressure from expectations and whatnot. Definitely my favorite Young Gun though.
Agreed exactly. His backhand is magnificent.

yonex90
06-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Baghdatis will have the best results of the young players. I don't count Nadal as a young player because he already has a grand slam win and is #2 in the world. His age is not indicative of his experience. I also like Richard Gaquet but I never see any coverage of his games on tv. In fact I would love to get a little more footage of foreign players. I get tired of watching early round Federer matches when at the same time Safin will be playing Hewitt or something great is going on another court.

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Nadal is still a young gun, just a really really good one. He still has the same amount of time to look forward to as all the other guys.

ACE of Hearts
06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Monfils and Gasquet.I think Monfils does need to change hos forehand tactic.

J-man
06-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Monfils is mine. Even though he can be a little mucho player. He still has the flare that I like

Andy Hewitt
06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Le Gasquet. I want to shoot Monfils. Blake was doing sooo good....

roddick_rulz
06-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Rafa Nadal, i love his top spin.

bribeiro
06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
How can you like Murray? HE has the ugliest style ever.

Feņa14
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
My favourites are Djokovic and Berdych.

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 04:14 PM
My favourites are Djokovic and Berdych.

Is it true Djokovic is thinking about pulling a Rusedski and going British?
I've heard a little, but is it realistic? What's the story? Does he have an English mum? Aunt/uncle?

Lee
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Is it true Djokovic is thinking about pulling a Rusedski and going British?
I've heard a little, but is it realistic? What's the story? Does he have an English mum? Aunt/uncle?

What's up my fellow Cal bear?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5045764.stm

tennisjunkiela
06-04-2006, 04:29 PM
i like murray and monfils a lot.

i like gasquet but i get a strong impression that he is going to realize his huge potential. john mcenroe, not one to mince words, called him "lazy" today during the blake-monfils match!

Andres
06-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I like Djokovic ;)

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 04:42 PM
i like murray and monfils a lot.

i like gasquet but i get a strong impression that he is going to realize his huge potential. john mcenroe, not one to mince words, called him "lazy" today during the blake-monfils match!
You mean he isnt going to realize his huge potential??

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Didnt realize that there were so many other Gasquet fans....

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I like Djokovic ;)
i see you generally like 'ic players... :)
what about guazzellic ? ;)

Andres
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
i see you generally like 'ic players... :)
what about guazzellic ?
LOL, mislav said the same thing. :mrgreen:
Nah, it's a coincidence. I like attacking guys, with big serves, and crafty volleys. Serving is the stroke production I like the most, so that's why usually like guys like Ivan, Acasuso, Bracciali, Ancic, Karlovic, Johansson, Safin...

And up there, in the slavic countries, the pros usually go along with big serves, that's why I like them.

If Gaudio wasn't Argentinian, I'm sure I wouldn't even like the guy. He has some game, but I can't stand him in the court. But his game, and his strokes are delightful.
I enjoy Coria's game much more, and Nalbandian... I would cheer for him even if he was from Ethiopia.

But in my Top10, or the 10 guys I root the most, 4 of the guys are croatian, 5 are argentinian, one italian, one australian and one is swedish.

Acasuso, Ljubicic, Karlovic, Ancic, Bracciali, Nalbandian, Coria, Johansson, Guccione, Caņas.

I... just like big serves :)

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
rip Canas...

Andres
06-04-2006, 06:50 PM
rip Canas...
Caņas is back on the Tour in September, didn't u hear it!!?? :D :D :D

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Caņas is back on the Tour in September, didn't u hear it!!?? :D :D :D
Word? I never liked Canas and I wont be able to look at him the same, but I guess it's good for him to be back.

Breaker
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Berdych, his game just looks so smooth when he's on. All he needs is to get some more leg strength to help his movement and getting low on volleys and he may become a real force.

Kabob190
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
monfils, after watching him take out blake who is one of my favorite players

Andres
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Word? I never liked Canas and I wont be able to look at him the same, but I guess it's good for him to be back.
Read the court transcripts. It was proven that he didn't take the diuretics un purpose, but the tournament's doctor as the one who screwed it.
But he found guilty of a partial negligency, because he didn't checked the medication himself.

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Read the court transcripts. It was proven that he didn't take the diuretics un purpose, but the tournament's doctor as the one who screwed it.
But he found guilty of a partial negligency, because he didn't checked the medication himself.
Wow...

How do they screw something like that up?

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 07:01 PM
monfils, after watching him take out blake who is one of my favorite players
Screw that, that made me dislike Monfils even more. Him and his stupid fist pumps after ever point.

Andres
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Wow...
How do they screw something like that up?
Simple. Just not checking it ;)

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Thomas Berdych I think is going to become a very very very good player. The guy has tons of potential and has huge weapons.

Gasquet reminds me a lot of a young Federer. Mentally not there but in time could become very good.

I really think Tomas Berdych is going to be the one that is going to be good on most of the surfaces. Nadal is a young gun and while he is doing great now some of these others guys have some bigger and better weapons and physcially have things Nadal will never have.

siber222000
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
i like gasquet, his young, but his ethusiastic and always positive ;) great manner!

Tennis_Goodness
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Screw that, that made me dislike Monfils even more. Him and his stupid fist pumps after ever point.

Reminds me of a kid name Nada......

You know his name!

Rodical
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
My favorite young Gun is Ancic because he is a hard working young man in his career.

superman1
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Easily Nadal, although I like Baghdatis a lot as well. And I've been called a Fed fan many times. :rolleyes:

Gasquet...I don't see enough of him. He was remarkable in that match against Federer, but since then he hasn't done anything big. Hopefully we'll see more of him in the future.

tpduke112
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
My favorite young Gun is Ancic because he is a hard working young man in his career.
Hes over 20.

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
What's up my fellow Cal bear?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5045764.stm

Thanks for the link, you resourceful New Yorker, you.
So there's no Brit connection in the Djokovic family tree?
The English have just resorted to out and out recruiting?
Such gracious hosts they are! I just hope he performs or else the vultures on Fleet Street will nickname him Choke-ovich.

siber222000
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Reminds me of a kid name Nada......

You know his name!
nadal only does a fist pump when he made a shot that was lucky or consider as "very" good shot, but in the other hand monfils is like.... hm.... dunno he prolly does it cuz.. he have nothing else better to do? ;)

jeebeesus
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Tsonga, anybody knows where he`s gone?

Max G.
06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Gasquet... I certainly make no claims as to how he'll do compared to the other guys, since mentally he seems as flakey as they come, but his game is more varied and more flashy than that of the other guys.

uno banana
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I like nadal ;)

but well who can not like bagdatis
and his super hot girlfriend and the constant pannning to her--i mean,
his infectious smile! :mrgreen: ... hmm it actually looks alot like this!

Lee
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
all of these guys are 20 year old or younger and all of these guys are in top 50. amazing. warinka belongs to the pack as well. nadal is a precocious talent and definately the leader of the pack.

my favourite is Andy Murray, after watching him playing a match courtside in san jose. he doesn't go for his shot very often, but he's not a pusher by all means. he's a very very intelligent player with all-court style with a nice serve to match. just needs to get physically fit. mentally he's tough.

Lee
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Tsonga, anybody knows where he`s gone?

JW is not doing badly at all:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=100002668

he's a very very good player who dominated the Juniors. he'll have to improve his quickness to achieve the results similar to Gasquet & Monfils.

BabolatFan
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
My favs are DJokovic and Monfils.

rfprse
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Berdych & Djokovic.

arosen
06-04-2006, 09:51 PM
I really like Evgeny Korolev's game, I hope he can make it on the tour. Del Potro is pretty good, too.

HollerOne5
06-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Djokovic seems to have the most potential at being a consistent player if you ask me. He is less experienced than almost anyone on the list, and is nearly in the quarters of a slam. The rumors about him moving to Britain supposedly are more to do with his 2 younger brothers. Apparently they are supposed to be even better than Novak and GBR can help their future development more than Serbia.

A year ago I would have said Gasquet, but he is way too inconsistent. I can see him being a streaky player with occasional good results, but never a consistent winner like Federer or Nadal. Probably never top 5, but his shots make the crowd ooohhh and awww, and he is definitely flashy.

Baghdatis I'm afraid is going to be another Rainer Vervek or whatever. Don't see him ever reaching another Grand Slam final. Too inconsistent and I honestly just think he had the 2 weeks of his life in Australia this year.

If Berdych become a bit more mentally stable and was able to play consistent instead of streaky, he could definitely be top 5 and the leader of this pack

Andy Murray is straight up crap, the worst of the bunch. He's out of shape and has no real weapons. If it is even possible (which it obviously, technically is not), Murray is the professional equivalent of a "pusher."

Monfils, good energy, very athletic and fast, but no real weapons either. People can figure out his game much easier and I think his potential will plateau at the top 20.

Viper
06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't particularly like any of the new young players but aside from Rafa, Monfils is looking to have a semi-promising career.

raftermania
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I like Monfils because his name translates roughly to "My b!tches", also the kid can dunk and he brings gangster-swagger to a sport that has never seen a real playa' before (Safin was close). It's also funny how Spadea can't stand that there is another black guy on the tour to tell him he's not black.

Gael force just needs to get some caps installed, not on his prestige, but on his ivorys. True dat homeboy.

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-05-2006, 03:07 AM
of course Tomas Berdych is my fav ..

malakas
06-05-2006, 03:11 AM
My favourite young gun is the guy with the joyfull eyes,the huge and infectious smile..Marcos is as sunny as Cyprus..:D

unjugon
06-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Gasquet for me! You just get these strange feelings when he plays: you punch the table when he misses yet another forehand, but smile of joy when he hits a wide ace, a cracking backhand, or a cross-court forehand missile.

slice bh compliment
06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I like Monfils because his name translates roughly to "My b!tches", also the kid can dunk and he brings gangster-swagger to a sport that has never seen a real playa' before (Safin was close). It's also funny how Spadea can't stand that there is another black guy on the tour to tell him he's not black. ....

Stop right there, G. Post of da week, yo.

vive le beau jeu !
06-05-2006, 04:39 AM
I like Monfils because his name translates roughly to "My b!tches"
could be a good reason... ;) but according to my modest french knowledge, the litteral translation is rather "my son" !

Duzza
06-05-2006, 05:00 AM
I like Monfils because his name translates roughly to "My b!tches", also the kid can dunk and he brings gangster-swagger to a sport that has never seen a real playa' before (Safin was close). It's also funny how Spadea can't stand that there is another black guy on the tour to tell him he's not black.

Gael force just needs to get some caps installed, not on his prestige, but on his ivorys. True dat homeboy.
IT'S FUNNY COZ ITS SO TRUE!!!

croatian sensation
06-05-2006, 05:53 AM
could be a good reason... ;) but according to my modest french knowledge, the litteral translation is rather "my son" !

I was just wondering that. All this time I was sure that I remembered that "fils" means "son" and then I saw that translation and I was like :confused: LOL Good to see my pathetic 1 year of studying French paid off :-D

Anyway...on topic...I voted for Murray *runs and hides* I like something about him, still not sure what (it's not the looks, though LOL), but I always find myself cheering for him. And his game isn't crappy imo. I saw him play in Zagreb, and like Lee said he isn't a "pusher".

This was a tough one...cause I like Djokovic and Monfils aswell.
I agree with HollerOne that Djokovic's game has a big potential, I think he can go far. He's got a good team behind him (Piatti and Sosa- Ljubicic's coaches). I'm only hoping those things I read about him- having a crazy dad doesn't scr*w him.

tpduke112
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
bump.

More thoughts?

ShcMad
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Currently, Gasquet is my favorite player on the tour (Marat being in a close second place).
The guy has talent, but he needs to get off his butt and start working on his fitness as well as not lose it on the courts mentally. But, hopefully that will improve as he gets older and more mature. I personally think he has matured alot over the last few years, and he seems to be a good sportsman and a likeable guy.
His 1-handed backhand is just out of this world. Beautiful yet lethal. I think it's one of the most beautiful shots in tennis.
I really hope he doesn't disappoint us in the future.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Currently, Gasquet is my favorite player on the tour (Marat being in a close second place).

Wow...you're just like me....even the avatar.....

Gasquet has the most potential out of all the young guns. He will surpass nadal in 3 years. Nadal's game is based on heavy topspin and athletism...these are good, but they can only get you so far. Gasquet has all the weapons, he just needs to develop a little more.

ShcMad
06-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Wow...you're just like me....even the avatar.....

Gasquet has the most potential out of all the young guns. He will surpass nadal in 3 years. Nadal's game is based on heavy topspin and athletism...these are good, but they can only get you so far. Gasquet has all the weapons, he just needs to develop a little more.

lol...Allez Richard and Marat! :D

I totally agree that Gasquet possesses the weapons for top-level tennis, plus he's got natural talent, so it's gonna be a matter of time for him to break through (hopefully).

hewitt9
06-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Rafeal Nadal is by far the best young gun and he will be for a long long time:rolleyes:

Tennis_Goodness
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
nadal only does a fist pump when he made a shot that was lucky or consider as "very" good shot, but in the other hand monfils is like.... hm.... dunno he prolly does it cuz.. he have nothing else better to do? ;)

No he dosen't, i've seen Nadal fist pump many times on his oppenents mistakes and double faults!

tpduke112
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow, I really didnt expect Gasquet to be winning this. He is my second fav. player behind James Blake. Game is beautiful. Plus my serve motion looks very much like his.

framebreaker
06-05-2006, 08:57 PM
nadal and baghdatis of course. baggy was in a grand slam final!! the rest wasn't nearly as successfull:confused:

framebreaker
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
and in the rankigs? where is gasquet? or djoikovic??:confused:

RiosTheGenius
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
who do I like best?...... Gasquet, he's got a pretty game
who do I think is the best one???... Djokovic, the guy is solid.

Fatmike
06-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Monfils and Gasquet..

same here

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 03:50 PM
all of them apart from murray and nadal.

Young Gun
07-13-2006, 07:35 PM
< me lol no seriously, djokovic

FEDEXP
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I really like Gasquet but his great promise has thus far been unfulfilled. I think Murray might be too much of a head case (which could or could not be true of Djocovic as well). Too soon to know about Monfils. Ancic has amazing promise and could go very far...

BaseLineBash
07-14-2006, 03:39 AM
I say Andy Murray. He has attitude, talent and charisma. The new tennis rebel with his heart on his sleave.

helloworld
07-14-2006, 03:50 AM
The best young gun in history, Rafael Nadal.

tpduke112
07-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Didn't know this thread came back? Looks like Gasquet could win a tournament.

emcee
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I like Baggy. All 100% positive energy out there although he panders to the crowd a little too often sometimes.

I don't see him as a consistent top 10 or whatever player, but a player who can get hot and do some damage at majors. Maybe like Safin without all the negative energy.

zhan
07-15-2006, 09:28 PM
how come nadal only has 34 votes?
he is only 20 and is ranked #2
:/ he has definately replaced Andy Roddick as the best young gun and even my favourite player right now...
He plays with so much heart and determination... i know people complain that he is a pusher but he has SICKKKK passing shots that rivals federers...
>.<

typingchamp
07-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Nadal by a long shot. In HISTORY, only Borg compares for someone of 20 years and younger.

Baghdatis is great too. Too bad I don't think he'll ever make it passed No. 3 in the world . . . . he comes in at a time of two great champions.

Djokovic needs mental help (see French Open for example). Gasquet has a long way to go, but hey, he's great on all surfaces and he should be high up there soon (unless he loses his head and becomes the new Safin). Monfils can be funny at times and he has game.

This is a GREAT young crop of players. This new generation is going to be really exciting to watch. They are all so dang young too.

wyutani
07-16-2006, 04:12 AM
How can you like Murray? HE has the ugliest style ever.

yep. his ugly style beats roddick who happens to be a wimbledon finalist last year. anyway, my choice is marcos manil becos of his accuracy in his forehand groundstroke. his match wif nadal was unbelivable. yep, and oh, he shares the same bday as me.

tpduke112
07-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Sweet, Gasquet won Gstaad

Shabazza
07-16-2006, 09:39 AM
how come nadal only has 34 votes?
he is only 20 and is ranked #2
:/ he has definately replaced Andy Roddick as the best young gun and even my favourite player right now...
He plays with so much heart and determination... i know people complain that he is a pusher but he has SICKKKK passing shots that rivals federers...
>.<
If you read the thread title closely, it says favorite not best go figure...

My favorites are Gasquet and Baghdatis..but I like everyone of them except Monfils.

zhan
07-16-2006, 09:40 AM

*sigh*
:mad:

Marat Safinator
07-16-2006, 11:07 AM
LOL, mislav said the same thing. :mrgreen:
Nah, it's a coincidence. I like attacking guys, with big serves, and crafty volleys. Serving is the stroke production I like the most, so that's why usually like guys like Ivan, Acasuso, Bracciali, Ancic, Karlovic, Johansson, Safin...

And up there, in the slavic countries, the pros usually go along with big serves, that's why I like them.

If Gaudio wasn't Argentinian, I'm sure I wouldn't even like the guy. He has some game, but I can't stand him in the court. But his game, and his strokes are delightful.
I enjoy Coria's game much more, and Nalbandian... I would cheer for him even if he was from Ethiopia.

But in my Top10, or the 10 guys I root the most, 4 of the guys are croatian, 5 are argentinian, one italian, one australian and one is swedish.

Acasuso, Ljubicic, Karlovic, Ancic, Bracciali, Nalbandian, Coria, Johansson, Guccione, Caņas.

I... just like big serves :)

I like most of those guys especially bracciali, ljubicic, johansson, acasuso and canas.

tpduke112
07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
The best young gun in history, Rafael Nadal.
but the question is, is he your favorite?

looseswing
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Marcos is my fav. (I have only seen him and nadal play anyway)

tpduke112
08-11-2006, 09:06 AM
bump for more votes

ACE of Hearts
08-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Gasquet is the truth.:mrgreen:

nopiforyou
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I chose Nadal between Gasquet and him. Although I like both players, I see Nadal play a lot more so why not.

BreakPoint
08-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Definitely Andy Murray!!!! He's already becoming my favorite player to watch next to Federer. Murray has so much variety and plays so smart and has great strategic sense and excellent tactics that it's a joy to watch him execute on the court. He has just about every shot in the book along with great touch and power when he needs it. To me, he's this generation's John McEnroe.

He's not just a boring baseline basher like most of the other young guns on the list.

Iain
08-11-2006, 03:07 PM
That was a nice response about Murray. I think some of the criticism towards Murray here is because he's British and because a lot of people haven't seen a tennis player like him. Monolinguist wrote an interesting analysis of Murray's style and Baseliner is to be respected as well. I don't understand why so many people on this site talk about "weapons". Players don't need weapons, they're not tanks!! The guy who writes the wrap on tennis.com loves watching Murray play too, because he's an old fashioned stlye player who uses all the court and doesn't rely on whacking it, a la, Roddick. I don't understand enough about tennis to be able to evaluate Murray's game enough, but I love watching his variety, backhand slices, different lenghts, spins, angled winners, backhands down the line, lobs, drops, chips, varied serve, moving from defense to attack and back. I've watched all Murray's matches that have been televised the last year, so have seen him quite a bit.

As monolinguist implied the reason there's been a lot of criticism towards Murray, comes from a lack of understanding of the old-fashioned subtlety of his way of playing tennis, because most people have not seen this style for a long time, Federer does it I think. As the guy who writes "The wrap" said, Murray is one of my favourite players to watch, I sometimes feel as if he's using a wooden racket.

slice bh compliment
08-12-2006, 03:37 AM

My favorites are Gasquet and Baghdatis..but I like everyone of them except Monfils.

Yeah, absolutely. The highest ranked one happens to be the one with two RG titles and a Wimbledon final in his column.

As for favorites, I am first a fan of the stylish one-handed backhand on Gasquet. In terms of the spirit, I am a Baghdatist, and that is who I voted for. Berdych is downright Safin-esque on a great day. I've always liked Andrew Murray, of only for the Braveheart feel to his matches (then I saw him play that nuanced game of his and I liked him even more. It would be too much to ask for his strokes to match the flair of Gasquet's ... or even Marco). The Djoker's got potential, but he seems like a dork to me (plus, I'm sort of still holding the abuse of the trainer rule at last year's US Open against the kid). Now, Shabazza, what's wrong with Monfils? I like the kid's fight and his sense of humor. And his hair.

slice bh compliment
08-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Oh speaking of young guns......

1] I hope they show the Canadian Open semi between two of the aforementioned (SPOILER for some of you, possibly. Just trying to be sensitive to those of you who were out late Friday night).

Hey, and a couple of questions.
What is Donald Young up to these days?

How are things with Milan Cilic and Bernard Tomic? ANyone seen either of these kids play lately?
Nice names, too. Andy Guazzelli would be proud.

No Ace, No Glory
08-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Murray's play is exactly like Hingis.

If you watch his matches often, many of you would realize he does have good anticipation and delicate touch, as well as rugged determination and focus.

However, his success depends on the number of unforced errors of his opponent. He just disrupts everyone's rhythm without going for any winners.

It's true he plays tennis like he's been ripped out of the 1930s and stuck in the modern game. No-one has really seen someone with such tactics and thus Murray's frustrated opponents end up falling apart and losing their head.

I have yet to see him BEAT an opponent in any of his victories. Normally its just a case of diverting his opponent from their 'Plan A' and seeing how good their 'PLan B' is. Generally though it results in LOADS of errors from his opponent.

He takes Gilbert's 'Winning Ugly' to a new level.

BTW, Gasquet and Djokovic are the most exciting of the new generation to watch (Nadal is experienced beyond his years and so he doesn't count).

Berdych is pretty close as well, though he loses his head often in matches, especially after a big win.

The Grand Slam
08-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Marco ise trella, me tin aspri tin fanella!

Hail Baghdatis! xD